How To Add a Printer on Windows 10 (Local, Network, Shared Printer) 2022!!!
Here How to install and configure a Local printer, Network printer, Wireless printer or Network Shared printer On windows 10 computer.
Looking for Install/Add A new printer on Windows 10 PC? This post discusses how to install a Local printer, Network printer, Wireless printer, or Network Shared printer On a windows 10 computer. Let me first explain what is different between the local printer, Network printer and Network shared printer.
Local Printer: A local printer is one that is directly connected to a specific computer via a USB cable. This printer is only accessible from that particular workstation and therefore, can only service one computer at a time.
Network/ Wireless printer. A printer is connected to a wired or wireless network. It may be Ethernet-enabled and be cabled to an Ethernet switch, or it may connect to a Wi-Fi (wireless) network or both. This will connect and communicate through network address (IP address)
Network Shared printer: Printer sharing is the process of allowing multiple computers and devices connected to the same network to access one or more printers. This means If you have a local printer on your home network, Using the printer sharing option, you can allow multiple devices to use the printer on the same network only.
How To Add A local Printer on Windows 10
The most common way to connect a printer to your PC is by USB cable, which makes it a local printer. In most cases, all you have to do to set up a printer is to connect it to your PC. Simply plug the USB cable from your printer into an available USB port on your PC, and turn the printer on.
For Windows 10
- Go to Start > Settings > Devices > Printers and Scanners.
- Look in Printers & Scanners to see if your printer is installed.
- If you don’t see your device, select Add a printer or scanner.
- Wait for it to find available printers, choose the one you want, and then select Add device.
- If your Windows 10 computer does not detect the local printer, click or tap on the link that says, “The printer that I want isn’t listed.”
Windows 10 opens a wizard called “Add Printer.” Here you have a few different options. They include options for adding network printers, as well as local printers. As you want to install a local printer, choose the option that says:
- “My printer is a little older. Help me find it.”, or
- “Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.”
We recommend you choose to add a local printer or network printer with manual settings and click next to continue. On the Choose a printer port window, leave the default options selected and click Next.
- On the Install, the printer driver window, from the displayed list of printer manufacturers in the left section, click to select the one to which the connected printer belongs.
- From the right section, locate and click to select the specific printer model that is connected to the PC.Note: At this point, you can also click the Have Disk button and browse and locate the driver for the connected printer if you have downloaded it manually from its official website.
- Click Next to proceed to the next step. And follow on-screen instructions to install and configure the printer.
Windows 7 and 8 user
Control Panel, open the “Hardware and Devices” and then click on “Devices and Printers.” Click Add printer And follow on-screen instructions to install the printer.
Also, you run the printer driver software that came with the printer or downloads it from the device manufacturer’s website to install the printer.
Add Network Printer in Windows 10
In general, the procedure to Add Network or Wireless Printers in Windows 10 involves the following two steps.
- Setup Printer and connect it to Network
- Add Network Printer in Windows
Setup Printer and Connect it to Network
Local printer having only one USB port, so you can only install only one PC using USB port but Network Printer is different, It has a special network port with one USB port. You can either connect through a USB port or you can connect your network cable to Ethernet port. To Install and configure a Network printer First, connect the network cable, Then open Printer settings -> IP address and Set the IP address of your local network. For example: If your Default gateway / Router Address is 192.168.1.1, then Type 192.168.1.10 ( you can replace 10 with your chosen number between 2 To 254 ) and ok to make save changes.
Configure Network Printer in Windows 10
Now to install the Network printer on Windows 10 First download the printer driver from the manufacturer’s website and run the setup.exe or you can insert the printer driver media which comes with the printer box to the DVD drive and run the setup.exe. while install select option Add a network printer And follow on-screen instructions.
Also, you can open the Control panel -> device and printer -> Add a printer option on top of the window -> On add a device wizard select the printer that I want isn’t listed -> Select the radio button to add a Bluetooth, wireless, or network discoverable printer and follow the on-screen instruction to install the printer.
Add a Wireless Printer On Windows 10
Most Wireless Network Printers come with an LCD screen which allows you to go through the initial setup process and connect to WiFi Network. On most printers, you will be required to follow these steps.
- Switch ON the Printer using its Power button.
- Access Setup Menu on the LCD panel of the printer.
- Choose Language, Country, Install Cartridges and Choose your WiFi Network.
- Enter your WiFi Network Password to connect the printer
You should find your printer automatically added in the Printers & scanners section under Settings > Devices.
In case your printer does not have an LCD screen, you will have to connect the printer to the computer in order to complete the setup process and connect to WiFi Network.
Add a Network Shared Printer On Windows 10
If you have a local printer on your home network, Using a printer sharing option, you can allow multiple devices to use the printer on the same network only. To do this, First Right Click on the local installed printer select properties. Move to Sharing Tab and tick on share this printer option as shown below image. Click on Apply and ok to make save changes.
Then After Accessing the Shared Printer Simply note Down the computer name or IP address of the computer where the shared printer is installed. You can check the computer name by right click on This pc and select properties. Here on System properties, look for the computer name and note it down. Also, you can check the IP address from Command prompt type ipconfig, and hit the enter key.
Now To Access the Shared printer On a different computer on the same network, Press Win + R, Then type \\computer name or \\IPAddress Of the computer where the local shared printer is installed and hit the enter key. I ask for a username password, type the computer’s username and password where the printer is installed. Then right-click on the printer and select connect to install and connect a shared printer on the local network.
Troubleshoot Printer problems on Windows 10
Suppose you run into trouble, Printing documents, printer results in different errors. First, make sure your printer is relatively close to your computer and not too far from your wireless router. If your printer has an Ethernet jack, you could also connect it directly to your router and manage it with a browser interface.
Also, open windows Services ( windows + R, type services.msc ), And check print spooler service is running.
Type troubleshoot on start menu search and hit enter. Then click on the printer and run the troubleshooter. Let windows to check and fix if any problem causing the issue.
That’s all, I am sure Now you can easily Install and Add a Printer on Windows 10 ( Local, Network, Wireless, and Shared Printer ) PC. Face any difficulty while install and configure a printer, feel free to discuss in the comments below.
- Fix Windows 10 Inaccessible boot device BSOD, Bug Check 0x7B
- Solved: The printer stopped working after the windows 10 update.
- Solved Windows cannot locate a suitable print driver issue.
- [Solved] Printer not activated Error Code 20 (Working on HP, EPSON, Canon, Brother)
- Printer in Error State? Here how to fix printer problems on windows 10