Looking for optimizing Windows 10 performance? Here a Secret Tweak you Can Increase Virtual memory Which helps to optimize windows 10 performance and fix low memory warning message on Windows 10, 8.1 and Windows 7 computer. Lets First understand what is Virtual Memory and what is the use of This Virtual memory.
What is Virtual memory?
Your computer has two types of memory, the hard drive or solid state drive, used for your operating system, photos, music and documents, and RAM volatile memory used for storing program specific data. And Virtual memory is a combination of your computer’s RAM with temporary space on your hard disk. When RAM runs low, virtual memory moves data from RAM to a space called a paging file. Moving data to and from the paging file frees up RAM so your computer can complete its work.
Use of Virtual Memory
Virtual memory also known as the swap file, uses part of your hard drive to effectively expand your RAM, allowing you to run more programs than it could otherwise handle.
Every time you open more applications than the RAM on your PC can accommodate, the programs already present in the RAM are automatically transferred to the Pagefile. This process is technically called Paging. Because the Pagefile works as a secondary RAM, many times it is also referred to as Virtual Memory.
By default, Windows 10 automatically manages the Pagefile according to your computer’s configuration and the RAM present in it. But you can manually adjust Virtual memory size on Windows 10 for better performance.
Increase Virtual Memory on windows 10
Virtual memory is still a useful concept for older machines or devices lacking enough memory. It not only improves the performance but also prevents program crashes when all the RAM is in use. With Adjusting The Virtual memory you can Optimize the Windows performance but also fix Windows Running Low memory Problem.
Here Fallow Bellow steps to manually Increase Virtual memory for windows 10.
- Press Windows + R, type sysdm.cpl and ok to open the system properties window.
- Move to the Advanced tab, under Performance section select Settings
- Now On the “Performance Options” window, go to the Advanced tab and click on the Change button located under “Virtual Memory” section.
- you will see Virtual Memory window on your computer screen.
- Here you have to uncheck “Automatically manage paging file size for all drive” option at the top of the same windows.
- Select any of Drive letter where you allow to create the paging file and then click on Custom size.
- Then enter custom fields in “Initial size (MB)” and “Maximum size (MB)” fields.
How To Calculate pagefile size
To Calculate the pagefile size always Initial size is one and a half (1.5) x the amount of total system memory. Maximum size is three (3) x the initial size. So let’s say you have 4 GB (1 GB = 1,024 MB x 4 = 4,096 MB) of memory. The initial size would be 1.5 x 4,096 = 6,144 MB and the maximum size would be 3 x 4,096 = 12,207 MB.
After Set the Initial size (MB)” and “Maximum size (MB)” Value and click on set, Now Click on the OK button and then on the Apply button to save changes. This will prompt to Restart the windows ” you must restart your computer to apply these changes ”