How to Quickly Fix Blue Screen of Death Errors in Windows 10
The blue screen error isn’t surprising for Windows users anymore as the blue screen of death or also referred STOP error is a very famous death error. Apart from blue screen error, these red, green, yellow and many other errors are present. This error is so famous that it has given trouble to Bill Gates also. So, if you are also facing the trouble with a blue screen and want to quickly fix the blue screen of death errors in Windows 10, then we have covered that for you in this post.
What is the blue screen of death windows 10?
Windows 10 blue screen of death (BSOD) is technically known as a stop error or fatal system error mostly occurs when the system ran into some issue which it can’t recover. And most of the time due to faulty hardware, bad drivers or OS corruption Windows displays a blue screen with some information about the problem and then restarts.
“Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We’re just collecting some error info, and then we’ll restart for you.”
What causes the blue screen of death?
Most of the time Windows 10 blue screen can be caused by poorly written device drivers or malfunctioning hardware, such as faulty memory, power supply issues, overheating of components, or hardware running beyond its specification limits.
The most common BSOD error messages
|DATA_BUS_ERROR||Memory failure||Check RAM stick function with MemTest, replace hardware if necessary|
|INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE||Missing driver||Update or install driver|
|Virus/Malware||Antivirus scan, Switch from “IDE” to “AHCI” in BIOS under “SATA Mode Selection”|
|UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP||Hardware error||Uninstall and reinstall device driver (primarily for recently added devices)|
|Temperature too high||Check fan performance, clean PC or check environment if necessary|
|NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM||High CPU memory usage||Search for costly processes in the Task Manager; uninstall/reinstall programs in question if necessary; check hard drive on which Windows is installed for errors in Windows processes (Right-click, then “Properties”, “Tools”, and “Check”)|
|IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL||Incompatible or outdated device driver||Deactivate drivers for recently installed devices via the device manager (search and run “mmc devmgmt.msc” command in Start menu); then obtain the newest version of the driver from the device manufacturer and install|
|BAD_POOL_CALLER||Unwanted memory access||Deactivate drivers for recently installed devices (see above); then obtain the newest version of the driver from the device manufacturer and install|
|FAT_FILE_SYSTEM||Corrupt file system||Check hard drive function; search and run “chkdsk” in Start menu|
|OUT_OF_MEMORY||Memory failure||Check RAM stick function with MemTest, replace hardware if necessary|
|PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA||Memory failure||Check RAM stick function with MemTest, replace hardware if necessary|
|UNABLE_TO_LOAD_DEVICE_DRIVER||Defective device driver||Deactivate drivers for recently installed devices (see above); then obtain the newest version of the driver from the device manufacturer and install|
|KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED||Defective software||Uninstall/reinstall recently used software (newest or system-compatible version)|
|With .sys file: System file error||For system file error: Run Windows Repair Tool (see below: “Check and repair system files”)|
Prepare for Blue Screen Repair
Before fixing the error of blue screen, you have to prepare a few things such as –
Disable automatic restart – Most of the cases, Windows 10 is by default configured to restart automatically when STOP error emerges. In this situation, you won’t get enough time to note down the error code related to the problem. That’s why to begin your process of fixing BSOD error, you need to view the error screen and for this, you have to stop automatic restart by –
- Right-clicking on This PC and going to Properties.
- From the left panel press on Advanced System Setting.
- Click on Settings under the Startup and Recovery tab.
- Under the system failure, you need to untick the checkbox that defines Automatically restart and save the changes.
Check for viruses – One of the major reasons behind the blue screen error is data corruption. Data could have been corrupted because of the malware attack. So, if you are facing BSOD trouble, then you should run an antivirus system scan for your entire computer to identify the corrupted data and fix it.
Check Windows Update – The next step is to make sure that your computer is being regularly updated with the latest Windows security patches and other updates. It is one of the important things that you can do to fix the blue screen error in Windows 10 as the security patch updates can fix up all the things automatically for you most of the time.
- Press Windows + I keyboard shortcut to open the settings app,
- click on update & security than windows update,
- Now hit the check for updates button to let check for and install latest windows updates
- Restart windows to apply them.
Update hardware drive – Sometimes faulty drivers present on your computer are the cause of BSOD error. So, by updating or replacing them, you can pretty quickly get rid of the error. Today, universal Windows drivers look after most of the hardware. For the drivers that Windows can’t update automatically, you have to run a manual process and download them from the manufacturer’s website.
- Press Win + X (or right-click on the Start button) to open the power user menu.
- Choose Device Manager to open that utility.
- Here, check for yellow triangle icons, which indicate a problem with the driver.
- You should double-check any devices that appear with this, as you may need to reinstall the driver or remove the device.
- You can right-click an entry and choose Update driver to check for updates, but this isn’t always reliable.
Update firewall – You should also keep firewall of your computer update and never miss out to check out whether the hardware components on your system are going through the trouble of increased heat level. For this, you can use some third-party software. The rise in the temperature is recorded because of the dust clogging up the fan. To prevent this, you should clean your computer regularly and also should prevent the removal of your external hardware parts such as printers, gamepads, drivers, etc.,
How to Fix BSOD in Windows 10
If you are getting a frequent blue screen on windows 10, Shutdown your PC. And disconnect all non-essential peripherals, including external hard drives, printers, secondary monitors, phones, and other USB or Bluetooth devices. Now start windows and check if this helps.
If yes then one of the faulty external devices causing the issue, to detect the same insert them one after one to detect after which device windows 10 getting the BSOD error.
Boot to Safe Mode
So, the number one rule that has been drilled to Windows users is to boot into Safe Mode to find the root cause of problems. To fix the blue screen error, you need to enter the Safe Mode as well. Once you are boot to safe mode, then you just wait for Windows services and drivers to load up.
Use system restore
By offering you System Restore, Microsoft has given you a chance to redeem all of your mistakes. It is useful if the blue screen of death is occurred due to some software or driver that you have recently installed. You can find various settings related to Windows 10 System Restore in Control Panel > Recovery. To go back to the previous Windows System Restore, you have to visit Configure System Restore > Create. There is a high chance the problem will be fixed after that.
Remove faulty Windows Update
It is a very uncommon situation where updates break during the installation process. And, if that happens with you, then you might face the blue screen error in Windows 10. So, the easiest solution here would be deleting such faulty updates completely from your system. This problem occurs if some app installs corrupted files into your system and it becomes important to delete such app updates also. To remove the corrupted Windows updates, you have to go to Settings > Update & Recovery > Windows Update > Update history > Uninstall updates.
Run system file checker
Windows includes a command line tool called SFC (system file checker). Running it checks for damaged Windows system files and attempts to restore them with correct ones. Doing so may solve your blue screen issue.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Type command sfc /scannow and press enter key,
- This will scan and detect corrupted, missing system files,
- Well if found any the SFC utility restore them with the correct one from a compressed folder located %WinDir%\System32\dllcache
- Restart Windows after 100% complete the scanning process.
Using windows memory diagnostic tool
Again sometimes memory problems cause Windows 10 BSOD error at startup. Run the Windows memory diagnostic tool that helps detect if memory problems causing the blue screen error.
- Press Windows + R, type mdsched.exe and click ok
- This will open windows memory diagnostic tool,
- Now select the first option “Restart now and check for problems”
- This will restart windows and check for and detect memory problems.
- you can check memory diagnostic results form here.
Disable fast startup
Disable fast startup feature would be a great solution especially If you are getting frequent blue screen error at startup.
- Open control panel window,
- Search for and select power options,
- Next select What the power buttons do
- Then click on Change settings that currently unavailable
- Under shutdown settings, option Untick the Turn on fast startup and then click on save changes.
Reset This PC
Reset this PC is another recommended solution that reset your all windows setting, services etc to default. And that probably helps to fix Windows 10 blue screen error.
- Open settings app using Windows + I keyboard shortcut
- Click on Update & security then recovery,
- Now under Reset this PC click get started
Then follow on screen instructions to reset windows 10 without losing data.
Well, the problem of BSOD can be caused due to many reasons, you just need to identify the cause and fix it. To fix the blue screen of death errors in Windows 10, you can use an array of methods together as one of them would definitely work for you. So, just keep calm and with the composed mind, fix BSOD error.
- Solved: Driver overran stack buffer BSOD Error on windows 10 version 1903
- PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (Bug Check 0x4E) BSOD on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- Fix APC_INDEX_MISMATCH Stop code 0x00000001 on Windows 10
- How to Fix DPC Watchdog Violation Error In Windows 10 1903
- Fix page fault in nonpaged area BSOD Error in Windows 10