Bluetooth is a wireless technology standard used for short-range communication and data exchange between electronic devices. It enables devices to connect and communicate with each other without the need for cables or physical connections. However, at times you may experience Bluetooth not connecting or not showing in the device manager. After performing a Windows 10 update, some users report the frustrating issue of the Bluetooth icon going missing from the taskbar or system tray. This issue can be frustrating, especially if you frequently use Bluetooth devices such as wireless headphones, mice, keyboards, or speakers. In this article, we will explore the reason why Bluetooth not working on Windows 10, Also help you fix this problem and regain access to your Bluetooth settings on your PC.
For some users, the problem is different like
- There is no option to turn on Bluetooth in Windows 10
- Bluetooth won’t turn on Windows 10
- Bluetooth toggle missing after Windows 10 Upgrade
- No Bluetooth toggle in Windows 10
- No Bluetooth switch Windows 10
- Can’t turn on Bluetooth Windows 8
- Option to turn Bluetooth on or off is missing from Windows 10
- 1 Why is Bluetooth not working on Windows 10?
- 2 Bluetooth option missing Windows 10
- 2.1 Restart Your Computer
- 2.2 Check Bluetooth Settings in Windows 10
- 2.3 Update windows 10
- 2.4 Run Bluetooth Troubleshooter
- 2.5 Check Bluetooth support Service Running
- 2.6 Enable Bluetooth from Device Manager
- 2.7 Update Bluetooth Drivers
- 2.8 Bluetooth not working registry fix
- 2.9 Enable Bluetooth Icon in Taskbar Settings
- 2.10 Disable Fast startup (Windows 10)
Why is Bluetooth not working on Windows 10?
There can be several reasons behind the missing Bluetooth icon or the Bluetooth option grayed out on Windows 10.
- Outdated, corrupt, or incompatible Bluetooth drivers can prevent the Bluetooth functionality from working correctly.
- The Bluetooth Support Service responsible for managing Bluetooth connections may have stopped or encountered an error, resulting in the missing Bluetooth icon and functionality.
- Incorrectly configured Bluetooth settings or accidental changes to system settings can lead to the Bluetooth option grayed out or disabled.
- Physical hardware problems with the Bluetooth adapter or outdated firmware can also lead to Bluetooth-related problems.
- Certain third-party software or security programs might interfere with Bluetooth functionality, causing it to become unavailable or non-functional.
Bluetooth option missing Windows 10
When the Bluetooth option is missing in Windows 10, Check and ensure Airplane Mode is turned off, as it disables all wireless connections. Also try restart your computer, as it can resolve temporary glitches may cause Bluetooth missing or grayed out. Make sure the Bluetooth Support Service is running by accessing “services.msc” and verifying its status. Update Bluetooth drivers is another effective way to fix if the Bluetooth option missing in the device manager or the Bluetooth ON button is grayed out in Settings.
Restart Your Computer
Before diving into more complex solutions, start with a simple restart. Sometimes, the Bluetooth icon may not appear due to a temporary glitch, and a restart can refresh the system, potentially resolving the problem.
Check Bluetooth Settings in Windows 10
The first step is to ensure that Bluetooth is still enabled in your system settings. Follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Start button and select “Settings” from the context menu.
- In the Windows Settings window, click on “Devices.”
- On the left sidebar, select “Bluetooth & other devices.”
- Ensure that the toggle switch under “Bluetooth” is turned on.
- If it is already enabled or grayed out proceed to the next method.
Update windows 10
Bluetooth functionality and management are dependent on system services, drivers, and underlying components that may receive updates and improvements in newer versions of Windows. And outdated versions of Windows can cause Bluetooth to go missing or appear grayed out due to compatibility issues, outdated drivers, missing bug fixes, and security updates.
Let’s check for and install the latest Windows 10 update that may have bug fix for the Bluetooth problem.
- Press Windows key + X and select settings
- Go to Update & Security then Windows update
- Hit check for updates to download and install the latest available updates
Once done reboot your PC to apply the change, and check if this help restores the missing Bluetooth icon on Windows 10.
Run Bluetooth Troubleshooter
- Select the Start button, then select Settings
- Click Update & Security> Troubleshoot, then Additional Troubleshooters
- Under Find and fix other problems, select Bluetooth > Run the troubleshooter.
- Restart Windows after complete the troubleshooting process. Check this fixed the issue.
Check Bluetooth support Service Running
Sometimes, the Bluetooth service may encounter issues during the update process, causing the icon to disappear. Restarting the Bluetooth service might help in such cases:
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and ok.
- Here services window, scroll down and look for Bluetooth support service
- If it’s running, right-click and select restart
- If it’s not started, Double click on it to open its properties.
- Change the startup type “Automatic” and start the service
- Click ok to make save changes, Check this helps to Fix Bluetooth won’t turn ON in Windows 10.
Enable Bluetooth from Device Manager
Note: Make sure Airplane Mode is not enabled on your device.
- Press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc and ok to open Device Manager.
- Click on View and select Show hidden devices.
- This will display the Bluetooth icon, Right-click on it and select Scan for hardware changes.
- Check if this helps, If not follow the next solution.
Update Bluetooth Drivers
Normally Bluetooth needs the supporting hardware and software (Driver) to function properly. If due to any reason, Bluetooth driver gets corrupted, outdated or not compatible with the current Windows version this may cause the “Bluetooth icon missing”
- Right-click on the Start button and select “Device Manager.”
- Expand the “Bluetooth” category, Right-click on your Bluetooth adapter and select “Update driver.”
- Choose “Search automatically for updated driver software” and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once the driver update is complete, restart your computer and check if the Bluetooth icon is now visible.
Also, you can Visit the Device manufacturer’s website to download the latest available driver version download and install on your computer.
Bluetooth not working registry fix
Try this registry tweak If non of the above solutions didn’t resolve the issue.
- Press Windows + R, type regedit and ok to open the Windows registry editor.
- First backup the registry database, then navigate to the following path.
- HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
- Double-click on the Current version and change the same from 6.3 to 6.2
- click ok to save changes, close the registry editor and restart windows
- Check Bluetooth problem is resolved.
Enable Bluetooth Icon in Taskbar Settings
Windows 10 allows you to customize which icons appear in the taskbar. To ensure that the Bluetooth icon is enabled, do the following:
- Right-click on an empty area of the taskbar.
- From the context menu, select “Taskbar settings.”
- Scroll down to the “Notification area” section and click on “Turn system icons on or off.”
- Locate “Bluetooth” in the list and ensure that it is set to “On.”
- If the Bluetooth icon was disabled, turn it on and check if it appears in the taskbar.
Disable Fast startup (Windows 10)
One of the user reports turn off Windows 10 fast-startup and then turn off your computer then on again help to get back the hidden Bluetooth icon. To disable the Fast Startup option
- WinKey -> type to search “Power & sleep settings“
- “additional power settings”
- “Choose what the power buttons do”
- “change settings that are currently unavailable”
- untick “Turn on fast startup”
- Save changes
- turn off the computer then turn it on
- Check this trick do the magic.
Did these solutions help to fix Windows 10 Bluetooth problems? Let us know on the comments below.
- WiFi connected but no internet Access Windows 10 (5 Working fixes)
- Solved: Bluetooth device not connecting in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- How to add my computer (This PC) icon on desktop in Windows 10
- Bluetooth disappeared after the recent Windows 10 update? Try these solutions to fix it
- Solved: Err_Connection_Timed_Out Error problem in Google Chrome