Can’t adjust Screen brightness on laptop after windows 10 update? Try these solutions
In Windows operating system, you can easily adjust the brightness of your screen according to local brightness to get a comfortable view. The screen brightness adjustment can be useful in case of saving the batteries. You can easily adjust the Windows 10 brightness by going to Settings or on automatically option. But, some users have reported that automatic feature is sometimes very annoying as it changes the brightness without any warning and unnecessarily.
So, to manually change the brightness of your Windows screen, you just need to adjust the brightness slider and set the brightness according to your surroundings. But, what will you do if Windows 10 brightness control not working for you?
I recently got the Windows 10 upgrade on my laptop, and now I can’t adjust the brightness of my screen.
Brightness control not working windows 10
This could be very annoying and irritating for your eyes, but it is not a major problem. You don’t need to reinstall or reset your Windows 10 to solve this problem. Most commonly this issue “can’t adjust screen brightness on Laptop” mostly caused because of the corrupt or incompatible display driver. And update or reinstall the display driver probably a good solution to fix this issue.
Pro Tip: If you found that adjusting the brightness in Windows 10 settings works fine, but the function keys (Fn) of brightness control on the laptop keyboard doesn’t work, most likely you need to install additional software from the laptop manufacturer.
- ASUS – ATK Hotkey Utility
- Sony Vaio – Sony Notebook Utilities
- Dell – QuickSet
- HP – HP Software Framework and HP Hotkey Support
- Lenovo – Hotkey Features Integration for Windows 10 or AIO Hotkey Utility Driver
If the brightness adjustment issue occurs immediately after upgrading to Windows 10 1909, we recommend to check for and install the latest Windows updates that probably help to fix this problem.
- Press keyboard shortcut Windows + I to open the Settings app,
- Click update & security the Windows update,
- Hit check for updates button to allow Windows updates download and install from Microsoft server,
- And restart your PC to apply these updates and check if there is no problem with Brightness control.
Update Display Adapter Drive
As discussed before If your display adapter driver is outdated or incompatible with your computer, then you might face a problem with controlling the system’s brightness. The display driver is a very important software that ensures how your display settings will interact with the particular hardware like your monitor. It is like a translator that helps in establishing the communication between hardware and software as they both are mainly designed by different manufacturers.
If a compatible driver isn’t present on your computer, then the computer will not be able to send and receive data correctly. So, if your display adapter driver isn’t updated, then you might not be able to adjust the brightness of your screen. To update the display adapter driver, you need to follow these steps –
- Open Device Manager from Start Menu.
- In Device, Manager Window looks for the Display Adapter option and expands it by right-clicking and then select the Update driver option from the submenu.
- Next, you will be given two options – download driver automatically or manually. If you select the automatic option, then your computer will search for the compatible drivers and you can download them. But, if you go for a manual option, then you have to yourself search for the compatible display adapter driver and download online or from your USB drive.
However, if you don’t want to use manual or automatic methods, then you can also download driver installer apps and they will automatically download the latest system drivers for you.
Reinstall Display Adapter Driver
The one another easy way to fix your Windows screen brightness control problem would be reinstalling the display adapter driver and for this –
- You have to open Device Manager once again.
- Expand the menu by right-clicking and then press in graphics devices and uninstall it from the drop-down menu.
- Confirm the uninstall option and make sure that you have selected the Delete the driver sifting for this device box.
- Now, restart your computer and Windows 10 will automatically download the missing graphics driver the next time you start Windows.
- If due to some reasons your Windows won’t automatically download the missing graphics driver for you, then you can use the above-discussed steps and reinstall the graphics driver on your computer.
Use Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
In Windows 10, a built-in Microsoft basic display adapter is present which is usually employed when the driver from the display manufacturer isn’t working. You can use this builtin function and solve your brightness adjustment problem without any hassle. However, if you use the compatible driver offered by the manufacturer, then you will experience faster speed, better screen resolution and much more. To activate this feature, you have to follow this command line –
- You need to open Device Manager and navigate for the Display Adapter option and by right-clicking expand it.
- Next, you have to right-click over the Display adapter and from the submenu select the Update driver option.
- Now, you will be given options whether you want to update the driver automatically or navigate yourself. Here, we recommend you to tab over Select the “Browse my computer for driver software option”.
- On the next screen, you have to select the “Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer” option.
- Making sure that show compatible hardware box is checked, you can finally select the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter option and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Finally, restart your computer and check if you are now able to fix the screen brightness problem.
- If the problem isn’t fixed yet, then you can once again try to update the display drivers.
Run Power Troubleshooter
Well, if none of the above-discussed solutions work for you, then you can try to run the power troubleshooter that automatically detect and fix if conflicted power settings causing screen brightness problem.
- Press Windows + I keyboard shortcut to open the settings app,
- Click on Update & security then troubleshoot,
- Next select power then click run the troubleshooter,
- Let the process complete and restart Windows,
- Now check if this helps to fix the screen brightness problem on Windows 10.
Disable Fast Startup
Some of the users report uncheck fast startup, help to manage to fix windows 10 brightness not working problem on the laptop.
- Open control panel search for and select Power Options
- Click “Choose what the power buttons do” from the column on the left.
- Scroll down to “Shutdown settings” and uncheck the box for “Turn on fast startup“.
Did these solutions help to fix brightness control not working windows 10? Let us know on comments below. Also read: