With iOS 11 Apple has adopted HEIC/HEIF (High Efficiency Image File) file format for photos that take up less space than JPEGs. And latest iPhone shoots pictures in HEIC format which is a new image compression format that compresses images with higher efficiency. This is great for the storage on your iOS device, and for your mobile bandwidth, if you sync your photos to iCloud Photo Library. But the main problem of this new photo type is that HEIC file format not supports on Windows computers, Android devices and other related devices. So if you have HEIC image files or H.265 videos, and looking for open them on Windows 10 PC here this guide ” How to open HEIC file in windows 10 Or convert HEIC to jpg ” for you.
HEIC and HEIF Files Explained
HEIF stands for High Efficiency Image File, and HEIC is the name of the file format. Well, technically it is more of a “container” – HEIC can hold both image and video files which is how iOS’s Live Photos work. HEIC uses codes like the High Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC) to significantly improve file compression, while still providing better image quality and additional benefits over older formats, such as JPEG, PNG, and GIF.
PNG files are great but they are typically very big files (especially if you have transparent backgrounds). JPG files are much smaller by comparison, but they can still be big. HEIC is Apple’s attempt to make image sizes even smaller by using the best compression methods available.
There are lots of benefits using HEIC here are some of them make HEIC is better than JPEG.
- It saves images about half the size of JPEG with the same image quality
- Allows the storage of multiple images in one file (also ideal for Live Photos and bursts)
- Compatible with transparency such as GIF files
- Store image edits such as rotating and cropping if you want to undo them.
- Compatible with 16-bit color vs. JPG’s 8-bit.
Although HEIC has many pros, below are some of its problems.
- It is not compatible with all operating systems.
- Does not support most of the applications, it’s not available to open HEIC files.
- Create some problems with third-party photo applications.
How to open HEIC and HEVC files in Windows 10
As discussed Windows doesn’t support HEIC file format but starting with the April 2018 Update, Microsoft introduced HEVC Video Extensions package, which you download from windows store Allows view HEIC and HEVC file formats. Company explained
“Images that are stored in HEIF files that have the .heic file extension are compressed using the HEVC format. Such files require the HEVC Video Extensions package to be installed as well. If the HEVC Video Extensions package is not installed, the HEIF Image Extension will not be able to read or write .heic files.”
If you’re running Windows 10 version 17134 (a.k.a. the April Update) or higher, search for HEIF Image Extensions in the Microsoft Store app and Click the Install button.
Use this Microsoft Store link to get the HEVC Video Extensions, ( will cost you $1. I’m not sure why Microsoft needs that money, especially when this sounds like it should just be a free) Click the Install button. While you may think that installing the HEIF codec will be enough to open this file format, you must also install both codecs in order to view images and play videos.
Once you complete these steps, Windows 10 and the Photos app will be able to read and write HEIF files, which are usually found with .heic, .heif, and .avci file extensions.
Note: HEIF files using HEVC codecs requires modern hardware, such as Intel 7th Gen Core processors and newer graphics cards. Otherwise, the extension will not work as expected when playing videos.
If you need to remove these codecs, you’ll need to uninstall them just like any other application from Settings > Apps > Apps & features.
Convert heic to jpg Free
If you don’t prefer to buy and install Microsoft extensions, you can use free iMazing HEIC converter to convert HEIC images to JPEG file format. its very simple and easy.
- Simply download it from here. and Install iMazing HEIC Converter on your Mac or PC computer, it’s completly free.
- Drag and drop HEIC files or folders containing HEIC files on iMazing HEIC Converter’s window.
- Click Convert, and choose a target location to save the files.
Also you can Download and install CopyTrans HEIC for Windows a free application from WindSolutions, a company specialized in apps that interact with the Apple ecosystem. In order to add native support to Windows, the app uses the same integration technology that Nikon and Canon are using to make their RAW formats compatible to Windows.
Once the app is installed, it will add HEIC support to Windows, as such:
- All HEIC files will display thumbnails in File Explorer
- Double-clicking a HEIF file will open it in Windows Photo Viewer, just like with any other image format.
- You can print HEIC files right from Windows Photo Viewer
- You can insert HEIC files in Microsoft Office applications such as Word or PowerPoint
In order to achieve all that, you simply have to Download CopyTrans HEIC for Windows (Free) Install it. No restart is needed. Now open the folder where HEIC images located.
Online covert HEIC to jpg
If you don’t want to install any software, you can always use an online conversion tool that converts heic to jpg. Just upload them .HEIC file and you’ll be able to download a .JPEG.
Again If you want to keep photos as HEIC in iPhone or iPad, but also be able to view photos on Windows computer, you can simply email your HEIC photos to yourself as well. Sharing photos via Mail will convert HEIC to JPG automatically while sending.
- Select photos and click the Share button.
- Tap Mail and choose the original file size for the best quality.
Also, you can upload HEIC photos to a cloud storage service like Google Drive, OneDrive or Dropbox, which will automatically convert heic files to jpg.
And if you are looking for How can I stop my iPhone saving photos in HEIC format?
Its very simple Open the Settings app and scroll down until you see Camera. Tap it and then tap on Formats. You’ll see this screen, and you need to change it from High Efficiency to Most Compatible:
That’s all, I hope now you know very well about HEIC file format and how to covert them jpg. Still, need any help feel free to discuss on comments below, also read
- How To Setup And Configure an FTP server on Windows 10
- 11 basic settings you must enable to Secure Windows 10 Laptop/PC
- Scan And Fix Disk Drive Errors with CHKDSK in Windows 10
- 5 solutions to fix Netflix app not working on windows 10
- WiFi connected but no internet Access Windows 10 (5 Working fixes)