Windows installation failed with error “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The Selected disk has an MBR Partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT. And now looking for How to Convert MBR to GPT During Windows 10/8.1/7 Installation? Lets first understand what is Different between MBR Partition table and GPT Partition table. And how to Convert MBR to GPT partition During windows 10 installation.
Different between MBR and GPT Partition table
MBR (Master Boot Record) is an older partition structured that was first introduced in 1983 And developed for IBM PCs. This was the default partition table format before hard drives were larger than 2 TB. The maximum hard drive size of MBR is 2 TB. As such, if you have a 3 TB hard drive and you use MBR, only 2 TB of your 3 TB hard drive will be accessible Or usable.
And to Remedy this issue GPT partition table introduced, Where G stands for GUID (Globally Unique Identifier), and the P and T stand for Partition Table. Thre is no limit 2TB hard drive issue, as GPT partition table support maximum 9400000000 TB, with sector sizes of 512 (the standard size for most hard drives at this time).
The GUID Partition Table (GPT) hard drive gives you more exciting features than the traditional Master boot record (MBR) hard drive, this is a newer and more convenient partitioning method. Among the main features of GPT is that it gives the ability to store multiple copies of the data within the OS. In case the data is overwritten or corrupted, the GPT partitioning method allows to restore it and make the operating system functioning again (you can’t do that using MBR disk).
So If you have a hard drive that you would like to use and it is 2 TB or smaller, select MBR when you initialize the hard drive for the first time. Or If you have a hard drive that you would like to use but not boot from and it is larger than 2 TB, select GPT (GUID). But you will also need to be running a supported operating system and the system’s firmware must be UEFI, not BIOS.
In short Different between MBR vs GPT is
Master Boot Record (MBR) disks use the standard BIOS partition table. Where GUID Partition Table (GPT) disks use Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). One advantage of GPT disks is that you can have more than four partitions on each disk. GPT is also required for disks larger than two terabytes (TB).
As MBR is the default partition table, and if you are using a HDD which is more then 2 TB, That cause you need to convert MBR to GPT as MBR support Maximum 2TB only and GPT support more then 2TB.
Convert MBR to GPT During Windows 10 Installation
Sometimes you may face issue while performing clean install windows 10, 8.1 or 7, The installation didn’t allow continuing with an error like “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI system, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks ”
That means that either you have to Temporarily disable the EFI Boot Sources setting in the BIOS and install Windows Operating system. Or change partition method ( convert MBR to GPT partition ) while installing Windows to UEFI based computer. It’s important to mention that you will lose all data on the disk!
Temporarily disable the EFI Boot Sources
So if you have important data on your HDD, first try to Temporarily disable the EFI Boot Sources setting in the BIOS: (Follow these steps if the hard disk volume size is less than 2.19 TB:)
- Restart the computer, and then press F10, Del key to enter the BIOS.
- Navigate to Storage > Boot Order, and then disable the EFI Boot Sources.
- Select File > Save Changes > Exit.
- Install the Windows operating system.
After installing the Os you an Enable the EFI Boot Sources setting in the BIOS:
- Restart the computer, and then press F10 to enter the BIOS.
- Navigate to Storage > Boot Order , and then enable the EFI Boot Sources .
- Select File > Save Changes > Exit.
Convert MBR to GPT using Diskpart command
Converting MBR to GPT during Windows installation can be performed by using a few commands. Follow these easy steps:
It’s important to mention that you will lose all data on the disk!
- When the Windows installer interface loads (or when the error mentioned above appears), press Shift + F10 to run the command prompt console;
- In newly appeared window type in and run command diskpart;
- Now you need to run command List disk to display all of the connected drives. Find the disk on which you want to install the operating system;
- Type in and run command select disk X (X – a number of the disk that you want to use). For example, the command should look like this: select disk 0;
- The next command will clean the MBR table: type in and run clean;
- Now you need to convert the clean disk to GPT. To do this type in and run command convert gpt
- Now wait until you’ll see a message noticing you that the procedure is completed successfully. After that type in and run exit to quit the console. Now you need to continue Windows installation in a usual way.
|list disk||Displays a list of disks and information about them, such as their size, the amount of available free space, whether the disk is a basic or dynamic disk, and whether the disk uses the Master Boot Record (MBR) or GUID Partition Table (GPT) partition style. The disk marked with an asterisk (*) has focus.|
|select disk disknumber||Selects the specified disk, where disknumber is the disk number, and gives it focus.|
|clean||Removes all partitions or volumes from the disk with focus.|
|convert gpt||Converts an empty basic disk with the Master Boot Record (MBR) partition style into a basic disk with the GUID Partition Table (GPT) partition style.|
That’s all you have successfully Convert MBR to GPT During Windows 10 Installation and bypass error Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI system, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. Still need any help feel free to discuss on the comments below. Also Read Fix windows 10 Inaccessible boot device BSOD, Bug Check 0x7B.