You may notice Windows update Download the cumulative updates from Microsoft server, But due to some reason (file corruption, compatibility, or unknown bugs.) the installation process gets stuck or fails to install. Even windows notify you there are some Windows updates pending for installation but its every time fails when you try to install them. Not only these pending update files prevent new windows updates to install on your system but also take a huge amount of disk space. Where users report
My C Drive Running out of space and when I check, the bulk is in the Temporary Files under Pending updates and preview builds which is 6.6gb. I’ve tried deleting unnecessary files using disk cleanup but it’s still the same. How can I reclaim this storage space?
Here this post we go through, How to Delete Pending updates on Windows 10 to fix Different Windows update installation related error include Free up Disk space.
Where the pending updates located?
Basically, these Windows update files located under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
Is it safe to delete pending updates?
Yes, it’s completely safe to deleting pending Windows updates. If after download cumulative updates the update installation Stuck, failed to install with different errors we recommend once run the Update troubleshooter, that automatically check and fix the problem prevent these updates install properly.
To Run the Windows update troubleshooter:
- Open Settings, using keyboard shortcut Windows + I
- Update & security
- Click on Windows update
- And Run the Troubleshooter.
After complete, the troubleshooting process, restart Windows and check for updates. Check this time updates installed successfully, there is no more pending updates. If still there is problem and updates pending for update lets manually remove them.
Delete pending windows update files
To delete unfinished, pending Windows update files, First, we need to stop Windows update service and its related services then from SoftwareDistribution folder we can found downloaded windows update files and delete them permanently. Lets see how to do
- First, open windows services using services.msc from windows search.
- Scroll down and look for service named Windows update,
- Right click on it and select Stop
- Do the same (stop service) with BITS and Superfetch service.
- Minimize the services window and navigate the following path
- Inside download, folder Select everything (Ctrl + A) and hit the Delete button.
- That’s all, either manually restart the services, that you previously stopped.
- Or restart Windows so that these services automatically start.
- Now open Windows update from settings -> update & security -> windows update -> Check for updates. Let us know this time windows successfully install the cumulative updates.
Note: If you are looking for skip a particular windows update (such as kbxxxx etc), That cause you can use the Show or hide updates tool to block particular windows update being installed on your system.
Did you have successfully deleted pending windows updates? let us know on comments below, also read How To Fix Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99%.