Sometimes you may notice Windows PC started crawling along and the hard drive was working its tail off. While checking the Task Manager and sure enough it showed the hard drive was being used at 99%. And all of that was due to the service called Sysmain (formally known as SuperFetch). So you have a question on your mind What is Sysmain service? why it is causing high system resource usage and how to Disable the Sysmain service.
What is Sysmain?
Sysmain is a memory management technology that helps keep the computer consistently responsive to your programs, As per Microsoft the main purpose of Sysmain service is to “maintains and improves system performance over time”
Sysmain or Superfetch is to make your PC boot and run faster, programs will load quicker and the file Indexing will be quicker
Sysmain feature first introduced in Windows Vista, (has been part of Windows ever since to improve system responsiveness) that quietly runs on the background, constantly analyzing RAM usage patterns and learning what kinds of apps you run most often. The service also caches data so that it can be immediately available to your application.
Should I Disable Sysmain?
Sysmain is useful that speed up your Windows PC by pre-loading parts of programs you use frequently and pre-loads them into fast RAM (random access memory) instead of the slow hard drive so that it can be immediately available to your application. But If you are experiencing freezing and lags on your device, and decided to Disable Sysmain then Yes! There is no risk of side effects if you Disable Sysmain.
How to Disable Sysmain?
As Sysmain is a windows integrated service, we recommend leaving it on. But If you have a problem with 100% CPU usage, high Disk or Memory usage, and degraded performance during RAM-heavy activities, then you can disable Sysmain by following the steps below.
Disable Sysmain From Services
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc, and ok
- Here from windows services, scroll down and look for the service called “Sysmain”
- Right-click “Sysmain“, then select “Properties“.
- Under the General tab, look for Startup type and change it to Disabled.
- And stop the service, if it’s running.
- That’s all, from now onwards, the Sysmain service didn’t run in the background.
Disable Sysmain from Registry Editor
- Press windows+R, type regedit, and ok to open the windows registry editor.
- First Backup Registry Database, then Navigate to the following key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ SysMain
In the section on the right, double-click on Start and set Value data to 4. Save changes and reboot your computer.
- Click ok and Close the windows registry editor.
- Restart Windows to take effect the changes.
That’s all, you have successfully Disabled Disable Sysmain service on Windows 10. Still have any query about Sysmain, feel free to discuss on the comments below.
- Solved: Windows Cannot Verify the Digital Signature (Error code 52)
- Windows 10 Inaccessible boot device error [9 solutions]
- How to Uninstall a Windows Update on Windows 11 or 10 PC
- Windows 10 Photos App Not Opening/Working after update? Let’s fix it
- How to remove activate windows 10 watermark without product key