Sometimes you may come to a situation while connecting the USB flash drive to your PC or laptop its throws “Location is not available, The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable”. That means connected external HDD, Pen drive or USB flash drive, SD card or some other storage device that is connected to your PC is unreadable or corrupted. That may cause various reasons such as the Device not being connected properly to the PC USB port, or the device has an internal problem.
Again sometimes You can be directly responsible for this error, If you remove any external USB flash drives or HDDs while your PC is using it, that causes disk structure corruption or unreadable problem next time you connect it to PC.
Fix disk structure is corrupted and unreadable
So if you are struggling with this error “the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable” and you are sure there is no physical damage on the external storage device then you can apply the solutions below to solve any disk structure corrupted or unbearable issue. Before go ahead,
- Try to connect the USB device to a different USB port. Better connect the USB device on Desktop PC back panel USB ports.
- Also, try to connect the USB device to another Desktop/Laptop.
- Perform Windows 10 Clean boot and reconnect the Device, check this time it’s working.
Check and Fix Drive Errors
Whenever you face a Disk drive-related problem, Run the build-in Disk Check utility that scans and fixes common disk errors and even the disk structure is corrupted or unreadable.
Type cmd on start menu search, Right-click on command prompt and select run as administrator.
Here on the command prompt window type the command below and hit the enter key
chkdsk /f /r H:
- /f Fixes errors detected
- /r Identifies Bad Sectors and attempts recovery of information
- Replace H here, with your drive letter.
The following command will scan and fix any disk related errors which will also solve your problem.
Re-Install the Disk Drive
Most of the time running CHKDSK command fix the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable, But if you are still stuck with this error try reinstalling the disk drive.
- Press Windows + R, type Devmgmt.msc and ok to open Device manager
- Look for Disk Drives and expand it
- Right-click on the drive which is giving the error and select Uninstall.
- Then follow the onscreen instructions to completely uninstall it.
- Now from the menu click on Action then click on Scan for hardware changes.
- Wait a few moments, for Windows to again detect the USB device and install its drivers.
- Restart your computer to finish the process.
- Now check your external disk drive is accessible and working properly.
If none of the above solutions worked for you, that means the disk structure is Highly corrupted, unreadable or the drive faulty itself. That cause we recommend recover important data using third-party Data recovery tools and send it to repair center or buy a new one.
What If You Can’t Boot Windows Normally?
If you come to a situation this error “the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable” occurs on Internal Disk partitions, which result windows unable to start normally. in such situation
- You will need a Windows bootable drive. (if you don’t have check how to create Windows 10 bootable USB/DVD)
- Just insert it in your PC and boot from this bootable media.
- When the windows installation window appears, click Next.
- Click on Repair your computer.
- Navigate to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
- Now, Run chkdsk command.
- This will check and fix disk drive errors, which help to start windows normally for you.
Did these solutions help to fix the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable error? Let us know on the comments below, also read