Windows 10 Error 0x80004005 “Developer Mode Package Failed to install”
On Windows 10 you can enable Developer Mode from Settings app > Update & security > For developers > Developer mode, To Test the apps developed by you. Also, you can run the apps from Visual Studio in debug mode. By enabling this mode, you can run Bash on Windows 10 and access multiple developer settings under one roof. According to Microsoft Enabling Developer mode will allow to :
- Installing Windows device portal and configuring firewall rules for it
- The configuration of firewall rules for Secure Shell (SSH) services to allow remote installation of apps
- Enabling Windows subsystem for Linux that allows you to run Bash on Ubuntu inside Windows operating system (OS)
Developer Mode Package Failed to install
This is A great Welcome Feature on Windows 10, especially for Developers. But Some Windows users report while Enable The developer mode Option from Settings app > Update & security > For developers > Developer mode, following error appears Developer Mode package failed to install Error 0x80004005.
This error indicates that the extra components required by the OS to enable additional debugging features in the Windows Device Portal or the Visual Studio could not be installed automatically.
Fix error 0x80004005
- Press Windows + R, type regedit and ok to open windows registry editor,
- Backup registry database, then navigate to the following key:
- Inside the folder, edit the UseWUServer and set its value to 0
- Close registry editor and restart windows. Now again enable developer mode.
Note: If you don’t have windowsupdate folder then right click on Windows -> new key and name it to Windowupdate. Again Right click on windowsupdate -> new key and name it to AU. Now click on AU and on middle pane right click new -> dowrd32 -> name it to UseWUServer. Double click on UseWUServer and set the value to 0.
Restart Windows update Related Services
Now open Command Prompt As administrator and To Restart some Windows update related services perform bellow commands one by one and press Enter key after each one to execute.
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop cryptsvc
net start wuauserv
net start bits
net start cryptsvc
That’s all type Exit to close the command prompt and restart the windows after this.
Now Again open Settings app > Update & security > For developers > Developer mode, Hope This time this will enable successfully without any error.