PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (Bug Check 0x4E) BSOD on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
Getting pfn list corrupts BSOD frequently after the windows 10 1809 upgrade? Does Windows PC suddenly restart with a blue screen error Or getting frequent BSOD at startup? Windows 10 BSOD PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (Bug Check 0x4E) mostly cause whenever the page frame number (PFN) list becomes corrupted. Let’s discuss more details PFN and solutions to fix pfn list corrupt BSOD on Windows 10, 8.1, and 7.
What is pfn_list_corrupt?
PFN stands for Page Frame Number, which is an indexing number that is used by the Hard Drive to determine the location of every file on the physical disk. Any corruption of the PFN or problem with physical drive result in PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOD on Windows 10, 8.1, and 7.
And PFN corruption is mostly caused by a driver passing a bad memory descriptor list, and it could be temporary or permanent. Again sometimes low-level software running in the Windows kernel, Incorrectly configured or corrupted device driver, Virus or malware infection, corrupted system files or registry entry also cause different Blue screen errors on Windows 10.
Fix pfn list corrupt windows 10 BSOD Error
If you are also struggling with this problem, apply the solutions below to get rid of PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Bug Check 0x4E BSOD error on Windows 10, 8.1, and 7.
Remove All External Devices (Especially external HDD, Printer, Scanner etc) Now Check windows Start normally. If yes then attach the external Device one by one to find after attaching which device BSOD Causes.
Boot Into Safe Mode
If Windows Frequently Restart with This Blue Screen Error, Didn’t Allow normally login windows to Perform any solution. Then you need to first boot into safe mode with networking (which starts windows with minimal system requirement, So that you can perform troubleshooting steps easily) To apply Bellow solutions. Otherwise, if windows allow you to login no need to boot into safe mode you can directly perform the below steps.
Remove Recently Installed Application
If you notice this BSOD Error Started After installing New application or Antivirus Security program, We recommend temporally remove them from the Control panel -> Program and Features -> Select the recently installed application and click uninstall. Specially uninstall the security application (Antivirus), Then after Restart windows and check there is no more BSOD Error.
Check For Virus/Malware infection
A virus malware infection can cause different problems to include blue Screen errors. We strongly recommend install a good antivirus application with the latest updates and perform a full (Deep System scan) system scan. Also Install windows system optimizers like CCleaner to optimize system performance, clear junk, Cache, windows error files. And most important fix broken registry entries.
Turn off Fast Startup Feature
With Windows 10 Microsoft introduces the Fast Startup Feature (Hybrid Shutdown) To reduce the windows Startup Time and make windows 10 start faster. But Number of Windows users report, Different Blue Screen Errors, Black screens At startup Error fixed for them after Disable The Fast Startup Feature.
- Open Control panel, then Power options (small icon view)
- Click on Choose what the power buttons do
- Then click Change Settings that are currently unavailable
- Uncheck the Turn on fast startup option as shown below image.
- Click Save changes, Then Restart windows and check pfn list corrupt BSOD gone.
Check Disk Errors and Bad Sectors
As Discussed Before, The PFN is used by your hard drive to determine the location of each one of your files on the physical disk. And Problem with the Disk drive, result page frame number (PFN) corruption that result pfn list corrupt BSOD Error. Run the build-in Disk Check utility to help to scan and fix Disk drive errors.
- Open Command prompt as administrator
- Type chkdsk c: /f /r command and press Enter key to execute.
Tip: CHKDSK is short of Check Disk, C: is the drive letter you want to check, /F means fix disk errors, and /R stands for recover information from bad sectors.
When it prompt “Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)”. Answer Yes to that question by pressing the Y key and Restart your computer. This will check the disk drive for Errors, Bad Sectors if found any it will resolve them automatically. Wait until complete the process then, On Next login check windows start normally without any BSOD Error.
Fix Corrupted system files
Also sometimes after Install Recent updates, or upgrade to the latest windows version if windows system files get corrupted, missing that cause you may face pfn list corrupt BSOD Error. Run Windows system file checker Tool (SFC Utility) to scan and restore missing system files.
- Type cmd on start menu search, right click on command prompt, and select run as administrator.
- Now type command sfc /scannow and press enter key.
- The system file checker Utility starts scanning for damaged, missing system files
- if found any sfc utility will restore them from a special folder located on %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- Restart Windows after 100% complete the scanning process.
Check Memory corruption
Also memory Errors, Corruption can issue Different Blue Screen errors include PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. We recommend To run the memory diagnostic tool and check for memory Corruption.
- Press Windows + R, Type mdsched.exe, and hit the enter key.
- This will open windows memory diagnostic Tool,
- Select the first option Restart Now And Check for problems ( Recommended)
This will Restart windows and check memory Errors. wait until 100% complete the scanning process. Then after windows will restart and start normally you can check memory Diagnostic Test Results here.
Updating Windows & Drivers
Microsoft Regularly releases Updates to fix the security holes and Bugs, Created by third-party applications. If any bug causes this pfn list to corrupt BSOD, Windows may fix them with the latest updates. So make sure you have installed the latest windows updates. You can check for updates from Settings -> update & security -> Windows updates -> check for updates.
Again, sometimes corrupted, Incompatible Device driver also causes this Blue Screen Error. We recommend To check and update drivers especially the display Driver, Audio Driver, and Network Adapter Driver.
Disable Microsoft OneDrive
Some windows Users Report After Disable Microsoft One Drive using Registry Tweak Help them to fix Different Blue Screen Errors include PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error. To disable One Drive follow the below steps.
- Press Windows + R, type regedit, and ok to open the registry editor.
- Backup registry database then Navigate to the Following key.
- Here Expand the Windows key and search for OneDrive key.
- If the key doesn’t exist create it, to do this Right-click the Windows key and choose New > Key. Enter OneDrive as the name of the key.
- Select the OneDrive key, In the right pane, right click and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Enter DisableFileSyncNGSC as the name of the new DWORD.
- Double click the DisableFileSyncNGSC and change its Value data to 1. Click OK to save changes.
That’s All close Windows Registry, Restart windows to take effect the changes you have made. now on the next Start check windows start normally without any Blue Screen Error.
These Are some of the most working solutions to fix PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, stop code 0x0000004E Blue Screen Error on Windows 10 computer. I hope after apply these solutions pfn list corrupt BSOD Error Gets solved for you. Still, have any queries, suggestions About this pfn list corrupt blue Screen Error feel free to discuss in the comments below. Also, read
- Fix System and Compressed Memory High System Resource usage
- How To Fix 100% Disk Usage on Windows 10 version 1809
- Microsoft outlook not responding Freezes on Windows 10
- How to fix Google chrome has stopped working windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- Chrome Unable to Connect to Proxy Server (err_proxy_connection_failed)