Getting RPC server is unavailable error (0x800706ba) while connecting to the remote device, communicating between two or more devices through a network? The RPC server is unavailable error means your Windows computer has a problem with communicating with other devices or machines through the network you use. Let’s Discuss What is RPC, And Why getting RPC server is unavailable error?
What is RPC?
RPC stands for Remote Procedure Call, which utilizes inter-processing communication technology for Windows processes within a network. This RPC works on the basis of a client-server communication model, wherein client and server need not always be a different machine. RPC can also be used to set up communication between different processes on a single machine.
In RPC, a procedure call is initiated by a client system, which is encrypted and then sent to the server. The call is then decrypted by the server and a response is sent back to the client. RPC plays a vital role in managing devices remotely across a network and is used to share access to peripherals such as printers and scanners.
Reasons for RPC errors
There are various reasons behind this RPC error, such as Errors in resolving a DNS or NetBIOS name, Problems with network connectivity, The RPC service or related services may not be running, File and printer sharing is not enabled, etc.
- Network connectivity issues (lack of a proper network connection might lead to server unavailability issues. In such cases, a client fails to send out a procedural call to the server resulting in the “RPC server unavailable” error. ).
- DNS – Name resolution issue (client initiates a request, the request is sent to the server using its name, IP address, and port address. If an RPC server’s name is mapped to a wrong IP address, it results in the client contacting the wrong server and can possibly result in an RPC error.)
- A third-party firewall or any other security application running on a server, or on a client, might sometimes block the traffic from reaching the server on its TCP ports, resulting in the interruption of RPCs. Again Windows registry corruption causes different errors includes this RPC server is unavailable error etc.
Troubleshooting ‘RPC server is unavailable error
After understand What is RPC server is, how It works on Windows Server and Client computer, And Different reasons which may be causing RPC server unavailable errors on Windows. Let’s Discuss the solutions to fix the RPC server’s unavailable Error.
Monitor and Configure the Firewall on your computer
As discussed before firewalls or any other security-related applications running on the system can block traffic from RPC requests. If you have a third-party firewall installed, try configuring it to allow incoming and outgoing connections for RPCs and other applications that you intend to use in RPCs.
If you are using Windows Firewall configure it to allow incoming and outgoing connections for RPCs and other applications by following steps.
First, open the Control panel, search windows firewall.
And then click Allow an app through Windows Firewall below Windows Firewall.
Then Scroll down to find Remote Assistance. Ensure its communication is enabled (All the boxes of this item are ticked).
Configure firewall properly
If you are using a Windows firewall, open the Group Policy Object Editor snap-in (gpedit.msc) to edit the Group Policy object (GPO) that is used to manage Windows Firewall settings in your organization.
Navigate to Computer Configuration – Administrative Templates – Network – Network Connections – Windows Firewall, and then open either Domain Profile or Standard Profile, depending on which profile you are using. Enable the following exceptions: Allow Remote inbound Administration Exception and Allow inbound File and Printer Sharing Exception.
Check the network connection
Again Sometimes due to network connection interruption occurs RPC server is unavailable” Error. So make sure your network connection is connected, configured, and working properly.
- To check the Internet connection Press Win+R keys to open the Run dialog.
- Type “ncpa.cpl” and press Enter key.
- The Network Connections window will appear.
- On the Network Connections window, right-click on the network connection you are using, and select Properties.
- Here make sure to enable the “Internet Protocols” and the “File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.”
- If any of these items are missing from the local area connection’s properties, you’ll need to reinstall them.
Check RPC services function properly
“The RPC server is unavailable” problem can be caused by improper functioning of RPC service on every computer connected. We recommend Check and make sure RPC-related Services Running properly and not causing any issue.
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and click ok to open the Windows services console.
- On the Services window, scroll down to find the items DCOM Server Process Launcher, Remote Procedure Call (RPC), and RPC Endpoint Mapper.
- Ensure their status is Running and their startup is set to Automatic.
- If you find any required service isn’t working or is inactive, double-click on that service to get the properties window of that particular service.
- Here select the “Startup type” to be Automatic and start the service.
Also, Check some Related services such as Windows Management Instrumentation and TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper are running.
This way, you can make sure that all services required by RPC are intact and are properly functioning. In most cases, the problem will be solved by now. However, if the problem still persists, you might need to head to the next step for registry verification.
Check Windows registry for RPC corruption
I perform all the above methods failed to fix the RPC server is the unavailable error? Don’t Worry Let’s Tweak the Windows registry to fix the RPC server is an unavailable error. Before modifying windows registry entries we strongly recommend backup the Registry database.
Now press Win + R, type regedit, and hit the enter key to open the windows registry editor. Then Navigate to the following key.
Here on the middle pane double click on start And change its value to 2.
Note: If there is any item that does not exist in the image below shows then we suggested to reinstall your Windows.
Again Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\DcomLaunch. See if there is any item missing. If you found DCOM Server Process Launcher was not correctly set, double click on Start registry key to edit its value. Set its value data to 2.
Now Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RpcEptMapper. See if there is any item missing. If you previously found the setting of RPC Endpoint Mapper was not correct, double click on Start registry key to edit its value. Again, set its value data to 2.
After that close Registry editor and Restart, windows to take effect the changes. Now on next start check and try to connect remote device, I hope there is no more RPC server is an unavailable error occur.
Performa System Restore
Sometimes it is possible that you have tried all of the methods above, and you still get the “RPC server is unavailable” error. In this case, we suggest performing System Restore which reverts windows settings to the previous working state. Where system Works without any RPC error.
These are some most applicable solutions to fix RPC server is an unavailable errors on windows server / Client computers. I hope applying these solutions resolve this RPC server is unavailable error. Still have any queries, suggestions about this post feel free to discuss in the comments.