- 1 Fix upgrade assistant stuck at 99%
Microsoft Roll out Windows 10 October 2018 update version 1809 with a number of new Features, Security improvements and bug fixes to patch the security hole created by third party applications. Every compatible device connected to Microsoft Server will get upgraded automatically. Also, Microsoft officially released the Upgrade assistant to make the upgrade process smoother. But sometimes users report the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant Stuck at 99% while the upgrade to latest Windows 10 version 1809.
Mostly this problem Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99% occur if the Downloaded Update files are damaged or corrupted, System or boot partition fail to load new update, Unknown system error, Virus or ransomware attack, corrupted missing system files etc.
Fix upgrade assistant stuck at 99%
If you are also having problem upgrade assistant stuck at 99% for a long time while upgrade to windows 10 October 2018 update. Here some applicable solutions to get rid of this.
Start with basic Solution make sure you have a stable internet connection to download all windows update files. And check there is minimum 16 GB Free disk space available to Download and install windows updates. Also, perform A Full System Scan to make sure any Virus Malware infection not Stuck / Blocking the upgrade process.
Also remove all connected External Devices such as a printer, scanner, audio jack etc. And Some users also suggest security software block the upgrade process, Disable Third party Antivirus / Anti-malware application help them to fix the issue.
Change the location of Media folder temporarily
Note: Follow these steps before you restart your PC. Otherwise, the Media folder might not be available.
- Open File Explorer, type C:\$GetCurrent, and then press Enter.
- Copy and paste the Media folder to the desktop. If you don’t see the folder, select View and make sure the checkbox next to Hidden items is selected.
- Restart your PC, open File Explorer, type C:\$GetCurrent in the address bar, and then press Enter.
- Copy and paste the Media folder from the desktop to C:\$GetCurrent.
- Open the Media folder, and double-click Setup.
- Follow the instructions to start the upgrade. On the Get important updates screen, select Not right now, and then select Next.
- Follow the instructions to finish upgrading to Windows 10. After it’s done, make sure to install available updates. Select the Start button, and then select Settings > Update & security >Windows Update > Check for updates.
Disable the Windows update service
Press Win + R, type services.msc to open windows services. Scroll down and look for windows update service, Double click on it. Here change the Startup Type to Manual And Stop the Service next to service status as shown below image.
After that Again try to run Windows 10 upgrade assistant and this time it will work. And upgrade To fall creators update smoothly without any stuck.
Delete Windows Update Cache
Also if windows update download files get damaged or corrupted you may face different update / Upgrade download and installation problems. That cause we need to clear the windows update cache on Software Distribution folder ( Where windows update store update files temporary )
For this process first, we need to stop some windows update related services. To do this open command prompt as administrator, Then type below commands to stop BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, MSI Installer services. Don’t forget to press Enter after each of them:
net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc net stop cryptsvc
Now minimize command prompt window then go the following folder: C:\Windows. Here look for the folder named SoftwareDistribution, then copy it and paste it on your desktop for backup purpose. Again Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ and delete everything inside that folder.
Note: Don’t delete the folder itself.
Finally, restart BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, MSI Installer services by entering the following commands each followed by Enter:
net start bits net start wuauserv net start appidsvc net start cryptsvc
That’s all reboot your PC for a fresh start and run Windows Upgrade Assistant again, this time, it might actually work.
Upgrade using the Media Creation Tool
If still, Windows upgrade Assistant stuck At Any point while upgrade to latest Windows 10 version. Then Download the Media Creation Tool To make Windows upgrade process more smoother and error free.
After download the media creation tool, Double-click on the setup file to launch the tool. First Click Accept to agree to the terms and conditions. Next Select the Upgrade this PC now option and Click Next.
Confirm that the Keep personal files and apps option is selected. If it’s not, click the Change what to keep link to modify the settings. Otherwise, your files, apps, and settings will be erased in the process. Then Click the Install button to begin.
The Windows 10 setup will take over and install the Creators Update on your PC, laptop, or tablet while keeping your apps, settings, and personal files. The installation shouldn’t take longer than 30 minutes, but it’ll depend on your hardware configuration, internet speeds, and other factors.
Use Windows 10 ISO
If all Above method fails to upgrade to windows 10 latest version, Upgrade assistant stuck at 99%, Media creation tool fails to upgrade to Windows 10 October 2018 update then the simple and easy method Use a Windows 10 ISO file.
This method is designed to guide users to perform a clean install of Windows 10 and get everything upgraded in PC so to fix Windows 10 upgrade assistant update stuck or fail to install error.
Windows 10 October 2018 Update ISO 64-bit
- Filename: Win10_1809_English_x64.iso
- Download: Click here to download this ISO file Size: 4.46 GB
Windows 10 October 2018 Update ISO 32-bit
- Filename: Win10_1809_English_x32.iso
- Download: Click here to download this ISO file Size: 3.25 GB
First Backup All important Data and files to external Device Drive. Download the Official Windows ISO file 32 bit or 64 bit as per your system processor support. Also, disable Any Security software such as Antivirus / Anti-malware application if installed.
- Open the ISO file by double clicking on it. (You will have to use a software like WinRAR to open/extract the ISO file on Windows 7.)
- Double click setup.
- Get important updates: Select Download and install updates and click Next. You can also skip this by selecting Not right now and get the Cumulative Update later in step 10 below.
- Checking your PC. This will take some time. If it asks for Product Key in this step, that means your current Windows is not activated.
- Applicable notices and license terms: Click Accept.
- Making sure you’re ready to install: This might take a bit longer. Just be patient and wait.
- Choose what to keep: Select Keep personal files and apps and click Next If it is already selected by default, just click Next.
- <>Ready to install: Click Install.
- Installing Windows 10. Your PC will restart several times. This might take a while.
- After Windows 10 is installed, open Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and click on Check for updates. Install all the updates. This includes updates for Windows 10 and drivers.
I hope After applying Above steps your problem will get resolved. And you will be successfully upgraded install latest windows 10 October 2018 update on your Desktop and laptop. Still have any query, Suggestion, or face any difficulty while apply above steps feel free to discuss on comments below. Also, read Fix windows 10 keeps installing the same update over and over