Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99%, Here 5 Solutions you may try
Microsoft Roll out Windows 10 May 2019 update version 1903 with a number of new Features, Security improvements. Every compatible device connected to Microsoft Server will get upgraded automatically. Also, Microsoft officially released the Upgrade assistant to make the upgrade process smoother. But sometimes users report the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant Stuck at 99% while the upgrade to latest Windows 10 version 1903.
Mostly this problem Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99% occur if the Downloaded Update files are damaged or corrupted, System or boot partition fail to load the new update, Unknown system error, Virus or ransomware attack, corrupted missing system files etc.
Windows 10 update assistant stuck
If you are also having similar problem windows 10 update assistant stuck at 99% here apply solutions below.
- Start with basic Solution make sure you have a stable internet connection to download all windows update files.
- And check there is minimum 32 GB Free disk space available to Download and install windows updates.
Windows 10 May 2019 update system requirement
- Memory: 2GB of RAM for 64-bit architecture and 1GB of RAM for 32-bit.
- Storage: 20GB of free space on 64-bit systems and 16GB of free space on 32-bit.
- Although not officially documented, it’s good to have up to 50GB of free storage for a flawless experience.
- CPU clock speed: Up to 1GHz.
- Screen resolution: 800 x 600.
- Graphics: Microsoft DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver.
- All latest Intel processors are supported including i3, i5, i7, and i9.
- Up through the AMD 7th generation processors are supported.
- AMD Athlon 2xx processors, AMD Ryzen 3/5/7 2xxx and others are also supported.
- Also, perform A Full System Scan to make sure any Virus Malware infection not Stuck / Blocking the upgrade process.
- Some users also suggest security software block the upgrade process, Disable Third party Antivirus / Anti-malware application help them to fix the issue.
- Remove all connected External Devices such as a printer, scanner, audio jack etc.
If you have an external USB device or SD memory card attached when installing Windows 10, version 1903, you may get an error message stating “This PC can’t be upgraded to Windows 10.” This is caused by inappropriate drive reassignment during installation.
To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a hold on devices with an external USB device or SD memory card attached from being offered Windows 10, version 1903 until this issue is resolved.
Microsoft explained their support page
Change the location of Media folder temporarily
Note: Follow these steps before you restart your PC. Otherwise, the Media folder might not be available.
- Open File Explorer, type C:\$GetCurrent, and then press Enter.
- Copy and paste the Media folder to the desktop. If you don’t see the folder, select View and make sure the checkbox next to Hidden items is selected.
- Restart your PC, open File Explorer, type C:\$GetCurrent in the address bar, and then press Enter.
- Copy and paste the Media folder from the desktop to C:\$GetCurrent.
- Open the Media folder, and double-click Setup.
- Follow the instructions to start the upgrade. On the Get important updates screen, select Not right now, and then select Next.
- Follow the instructions to finish upgrading to Windows 10. After it’s done, make sure to install available updates. Select the Start button, and then select Settings > Update & security >Windows Update > Check for updates.
Disable the Windows update service
- Press Win + R, type services.msc to open windows services.
- Scroll down and look for windows update service,
- Right click on Windows update service select properties,
- Here change the Startup Type to Manual And Stop the Service next to service status
- After that Again try to run Windows 10 upgrade assistant and this time it will work.
- And upgrade To May 2019 update smoothly without any stuck.
Delete Windows Update Cache
Also if windows update download files get damaged or corrupted you may face different update / Upgrade download and installation problems. That cause we need to clear the windows update cache on Software Distribution folder (Where windows update store update files temporary)
For this process first, we need to stop some windows update related services.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Then type below commands to stop BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, MSI Installer services.
- Don’t forget to press Enter after each of them:
net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc net stop cryptsvc
- Now minimize command prompt window then go the following folder: C:\Windows.
- Here look for the folder named SoftwareDistribution, then copy it and paste it on your desktop for backup purpose.
- Again Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ and delete everything inside that folder.
Note: Don’t delete the folder itself.
Finally, restart BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, MSI Installer services by entering the following commands each followed by Enter:
net start bits net start wuauserv net start appidsvc net start cryptsvc
That’s all reboot your PC for a fresh start and run Windows Upgrade Assistant again, this time, it might actually work.
Upgrade using the Media Creation Tool
If still, Windows upgrade Assistant stuck At Any point while upgrade to latest Windows 10 version. Then Download the Media Creation Tool To make Windows upgrade process more smoother and error free.
- After download the media creation tool, Double-click on the setup file to launch the tool.
- First Click Accept to agree to the terms and conditions.
- Next Select the Upgrade this PC now option and Click Next.
- And follow on-screen instructions,
- The Windows 10 setup will take over and install the May 2019 Update on your PC
- The installation shouldn’t take longer than 30 minutes, but it’ll depend on your hardware configuration, internet speeds, and other factors.
Windows 10 1903 ISO
If all Above method fails to upgrade to windows 10 latest version, Upgrade assistant stuck at 99%, Media creation tool fails to upgrade to Windows 10 May 2019 update then the simple and easy method Use a Windows 10 ISO file.
This method is designed to guide users to perform a clean install of Windows 10 and get everything upgraded in PC so to fix Windows 10 upgrade assistant update stuck or fail to install error.
First Backup All important Data and files to external Device Drive. Download the Official Windows ISO file 32 bit or 64 bit as per your system processor support. Also, disable Any Security software such as Antivirus / Anti-malware application if installed.
- Open the ISO file by double-clicking on it. (You will have to use a software like WinRAR to open/extract the ISO file on Windows 7.)
- Double click setup.
- Get important updates: Select Download and install updates and click Next. You can also skip this by selecting Not right now and get the Cumulative Update later in step 10 below.
- Checking your PC. This will take some time. If it asks for Product Key in this step, that means your current Windows is not activated.
- Applicable notices and license terms: Click Accept.
- Making sure you’re ready to install: This might take a bit longer. Just be patient and wait.
- Choose what to keep: Select Keep personal files and apps and click Next If it is already selected by default, just click Next.
- <>Ready to install: Click Install.
- Installing Windows 10. Your PC will restart several times. This might take a while.
- After Windows 10 is installed, open Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and click on Check for updates. Install all the updates. This includes updates for Windows 10 and drivers.
I hope After applying Above steps your problem will get resolved. And you will be successfully upgraded install latest windows 10 version 1903 on your Desktop and laptop. Still have any query, Suggestion, or face any difficulty while apply above steps feel free to discuss on comments below. Also, read