Windows 11 Inaccessible Boot Device Error means Windows lost its access to the system partition during the startup process. And the system usually shut itself with a blue screen error to protect itself from probable data corruption or loss. So let’s first understand, what is boot device. It refers to a Hardware or HDD partition or system partition that contains the files and drivers required for the computer to start. There are multiple reasons for the Inaccessible Boot Device blue screen error. Some of them include corrupted system files, buggy Windows update installation, Outdated inaccurately configured or incompatible drivers, problems with disk drives, loosely connected data cables within the system board and HDD and more. Here we have a few working solutions apply to Fix Inaccessible_Boot_Device Error on Windows 11.
Inaccessible boot device Windows 11
If this is the very first time you have experienced this error a simple restart can help.
Also, remove all external devices include printer, scanner or external HDD and restart your PC to check if anything causing conflict that results Windows 11 blue screen error. Again if you are using 2 HDD on your system, we recommend remove the secondary drive and reboot your PC.
Sometimes the loose connections between HDD and the system board also cause this blue screen error. If you are using a Desktop PC, open the case and check the SATA cable is connected properly between HDD and the System board. Again if you have a laptop, remove the hard drive clean the connection port with tissue paper and insert it in the slot. Refer to this video to do this:
Enable AHCI Mode in BIOS
Just Restart your System and enter the BIOS by pressing F2/del key repeatedly at the startup. F2 is the default for most operating systems, but if it doesn’t work for you then at the POST screen take a closer look to see which key is set to enter BIOS and then reboot again and use the appropriate key to get into BIOS.
- Here go to main -> SATA Mode And Here select AHCI Mode instead of IDE from the list.
- Again Move To the boot Tab and change first boot To HDD.
- Press F10 to save changes on BIOS setup and restart Windows Check Started normally.
Note: If your boot drive is not listed in your BIOS, it may have failed. Try another drive in its place to check the cable/power/connector. If the other drive shows up, it’s probably disk drive failure. If it doesn’t show up, try a different IDE or SATA port, cable and power connector.
Perform startup repair
Access the Windows 11 Advanced Startup Options And click on Startup Repair to check and fix if any Missing/corrupt boot configuration settings or Corrupt registry settings causing the issue.
Follow these things, If you can access your PC at least login screen:
- At first, Press and hold Shift from the Keyboard and Click on the Restart button.
- Then, Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Repair.
If you can’t access your PC –
- Insert Bootable Windows Media in USB and restart Your PC (If you don’t have, Read how to Create a bootable Media/USB )
- Press any key to access the setup Window.
- Go ahead and choose to Repair your Computer.
- Now, Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > startup repair
Fix Boot Components
After startup repair windows start normally without any BSOD error. If Windows fails to start, again from Advanced options click on the command prompt And perform the command below to
As discussed before the main reason behind this inaccessible_boot_device BSOD error is, that OS has lost access to the system’s data or boot partitions during the startup. It may be because the master boot record (MBR) file and boot configuration data (BCD) file missing or get corrupted which may be causing the issue. And running the command below helps to deal with this issue.
Boot into Safe mode with networking
Most of the time Repair the master boot record (MBR) file and Boot configuration data (BCD) Fix the inaccessible boot device error and Windows starts normally. But if still getting the same blue screen error then there may be a corrupted, Outdated or incompatible driver that causes this inaccessible boot device error.
Also, Some third-party applications, corrupted system files, and Disk drive errors also cause this Blue screen error on windows 10/11. That causes you need to boot into safe mode, where Windows start with minimum system requirements and allows you to perform troubleshooting steps. Read how to boot into safe mode on Windows 11.
Scan And Check Hard Disk For Errors
As discussed before disk drive failure also causes inaccessible boot device, or Operating System to lose access to the system’s data or boot partitions during the startup. Running the CHKDKS command is very helpful which check the disk drive for errors and fixes them if found.
- When Windows start in safe mode open the command prompt as administrator,
- Then type the command chkdsk c: /r /f and hit the enter key.
- Then press Y to confirm to run the disk check on next restart, Close the command prompt, and restart windows.
- wait until 100% complete the scanning process after that restart Windows and check the system start normally.
Run SFC and DISM command
Also Run the System files checker Utility which scans and restores if any corrupted, missing system file causing the issue.
- To do this open command prompt as administrator,
- Then type sfc /scannow and hit the enter key.
- This will start the scanning process for missing, corrupted system files.
- If any damages or missing system files the SFC utility automatically restores them from a compressed folder located on %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- Wait until 100% complete the scanning process, After that restart Windows and check there is no more inaccessible_boot_device blue screen error.
If the system file checker scanning results Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them, that causes you need to run the DISM tool which repairs the system image and allow sfc to do its job.
Uninstall Any Recently Installed Application
If the error starts to appear, immediately after you install an application or install a new driver. Then there is a chance that this new program could be causing the error. That causes you need to remove the application from Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features. Now select the recently installed Application and click uninstall.
Update your drivers
Some of users report, update or reinstall the Standard SATA AHCI Controller and display driver help them fix this inaccessible boot device error on Windows 11.
- Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc and click ok to open the device manager,
- This will display all installed device driver list, and from here you can update or reinstall them.
- Now Click to expand on the device that is causing the problem, for example, Standard SATA AHCI Controller,
- To do so locate and expand IDE ATA/SATA controllers option, right-click on Standard SATA AHCI Controller and select update driver,
- Click “Search automatically for updated driver software” and Follow the on-screen instructions to update the device driver.
In the same way you can update the display driver or other drivers on Windows 11.
Disable Fast startup
When Windows start into safe mode first open the Control panel -> Power Options -> Choose what the power buttons do -> Change Settings that are currently unavailable -> and uncheck Turn on Fast Startup to disable the fast Startup options. Which fix most of Windows 11 Startup problems include BSOD error, Black screen error, etc. Read what is fast startup feature and why we need to disable this feature.
Again sometimes third-party antivirus software in your system could be the reason behind the stop code – Inaccessible Boot Device error. Temporarily disable or uninstall it and check, If not sure update your antivirus software and check if the error has gone or not.
Did the above solutions help fix the Windows 11 inaccessible_boot_device error? Let us know on the comments below.
- USB Drive is Not Accessible on Windows 10, How to Fix?
- 7 working solutions to fix Windows 10 slow boot or startup problem
- Windows 10 Laptop running slow after update? Here is how to make it faster
- 7 Basic Troubleshooting steps to fix Windows 10 problems
- Solved: kernel Security Check Failure BSOD Error in Windows 10