Microphone not working after Windows 10 Version 20H2 update
After upgrading to Windows 10 October 2020 Update, a number of users have reported a strange issue that the Microphone not working in certain apps like Skype, Discord etc. The issue affects all types of devices including laptops, tablets, and desktop PCs. When we try to find out the reason behind this “Microphone not working after Windows 10 update” We found Application/Apps access permissions for the hardware microphone causing the issue.
Windows 10 Microphone not working
Starting with Windows 10 version 1903, Microsoft included a number of new options under Privacy. These include the ability to control user permissions for your Library/data folders. Another option allows managing access permissions for the hardware microphone. As a result your apps and programs not able to access your microphone.
Also Sometimes incorrect configuration, Outdated/Corrupted Audio driver also causes sound and microphone not working on Windows 10 PC. Whatever the reason here some solutions you may apply to get back Microphone not working on windows 10.
Allow apps to access your microphone
With Windows 10 version 1803 (April 2018 update), Microsoft changed the behavior of the microphone app access setting so that it affects desktop applications as well. If the problem started after the recent windows 10 version 20H2 upgrade then you must first follow the steps below to get back the microphone working back.
- Open Settings app using the keyboard shortcut Windows Key+I
- Click on Privacy then Microphone
- Set allows access to the Microphone on this device
- Allow apps to access your microphone – Make it ON
- Choose which apps can access your Microphone – If needed make required to ON.
Run Audio Troubleshooters
Run the built-in audio troubleshooter and let windows detect and fix the problem for you. To run Windows 10 audio troubleshooter follow the steps below.
- Type Troubleshoot in Windows Start Search box and Click Troubleshoot settings,
- select playing audio then click Run the Troubleshooter
- This will start to diagnose problems causing Windows audio sound problems.
- Also run select Recording Audio and click Run the troubleshooter
- Next select Speech Run the troubleshooter
- This will check and fix if any problem causing to stop windows sounds and microphone.
- Now restart your PC and check if Windows sound working normally.
Check Microphone is not disabled and is set as default
- Open control panel
- Select Hardware and sound then Click Sound
- Here Under the Recording tab, right-click on an empty space and select, Show disconnected devices and Show disabled devices
- Select Microphone and click on Properties
- make sure that the microphone is enabled
- You may also check if the microphone that you are using is set as default.
Set up microphone
Type microphone in Windows Start Search box > Click Set up a Microphone > Select required type of microphone (for the internal mic, select Others) > Follow the onscreen directions to set it up.
Check microphone’s driver
First of all, make sure your microphone is well connected to your PC. Check if your PC detects the microphone correctly by going to the Sound setting from the taskbar. If everything connected and configured properly but still microphone not working properly then there is a chance the Audio Driver is not compatible with the current windows version or its get corrupted while windows 10 upgrade process.
We recommend to update the driver from Windows Key+X > Device Manager > Sound, Video & game controllers > Right Click on the entry below > Properties > Driver Tab >
Update – Update Driver > Click Browse my computer for driver software > Click Let my pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > Choose the driver > Click Next to update
If this does not work, select Search automatically for the updated driver in place of Browse my computer for driver software > Restart your computer
- Roll Back – If Roll back driver is enabled, roll it back
- Uninstall – Uninstall Device and restart to reinstall it automatically
Or visit the Device manufacturer website, download, and install the latest available driver for your Audio sound / Microphone device. After that restart windows and check the problem resolved.
If all above method fails to fix the problem then the last option simply roll back windows to the previous version and let the current build to fix the bug which may cause microphone not working.
Did these solutions help to fix “Microphone not working after Windows 10 update” let us know on the comments below
- Windows 10 Timeline “The star of its latest update” Here how it works
- 3 Different ways to Create Windows 10 Installation media
- How to fix network resource not available windows 10
- How To Fix Device Driver Problems On Windows 10
- Solved: Bluetooth device not connecting in windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- How to Quickly Fix Blue Screen of Death Errors in Windows 10