Windows 10 Night Light Not Working after Update? Here how to fix it
unable to turn on the Light Night feature as it is grayed out in the display settings, Here the solutions quickly Fix Night Light Options are Grayed Out in Windows 10
Similar to the Nightshift on iPhone and Night mode on Android, Microsoft has introduced Blue Light Filter aka Night light feature in windows 10. Enable Night light feature to filter out the harmful blue light from the display and replace it with warmer colors that reduce eye strain. But It’s an optional feature and you need to manually enable the same from Windows 10 settings display section.
This is a welcome addition for the users who struggle with the massive amounts of blue light leaking from displays. Well, a few numbers of users report Night Light is not working, won’t turn on or Night light toggle is grayed out didn’t allow turn on the feature. Some other users report After the recent Windows 10 1909 update Found ‘night light’ is disabled in both action center and settings.
Night Light Options Grayed Out Windows 10
If you are also struggling with a similar problem, “Night light feature appears grayed out in the Settings app making it impossible to enable and configure” then here is how you can fix this problem.
If you first time noticed this problem, then there are chances due to a temporary glitch Night Light mode is stuck in either On or Off state, a simple restart can fix the problem.
Also, it’s recommended Go to Start -> Settings -> Update & security, then Check for updates and install any available updates.
Tweak Windows registry entry
Here the quick solution worked for me and that’s why I am listed this as the first recommended solution to fix if night light settings greyed out.
- Press Windows + R, type Regedit, and click ok
- This will open Windows registry editor,
- First backup registry database then On left-hand side navigate the following key,
Expand the DefaultAccount registry folder, and then delete the sub-folder labeled
- That’s all, close Registry Editor and reboot your computer.
- Now Open the Settings app -> system -> Display and you should then be able to turn Night Light on or off. Also, you can quickly enable the same from the action center as well.
Update Display driver
Since it’s a graphics-dependent feature check and make sure the display (Graphics card ) driver installed on your PC is updated with the latest version of the graphics driver installed on your PC.
The best way we recommend is to visit the NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel download portals, then specify your graphics chipset to download the latest drivers.
- Now right click on start menu select device manager,
- This will display all installed device drivers list,
- Expend display adapters, Right-click on the current display driver select “uninstall device”
- Click yes when asking for confirmation then restart your PC to completely remove the driver from your PC,
- Now install the graphics driver that previously you have downloaded from the manufacturer’s website.
- Again restart the Windows, Now click on the action center and enable night light.
Pro Tip: If you don’t know the exact make and model of your chipset, you can use utilities such as NVIDIA Smart Scan, AMD Driver Autodetect, or Intel Driver Update Utility to help you out in that regard.
Update clock settings and Location
Well if you have a scheduled night light to turn on night time only but Night Light keeps on staying enabled even outside the time that it’s scheduled to actually run in such cause you need to check your time zone or update clock settings and enable Location as well.
- Open settings then click Time & Language,
- On the left-hand side, click Date & Time then make sure the set time and set time zone automatically toggle is turned on.
- Also, scroll down and check the correct time zone is selected
- Now move back to settings home screen,
- Click Privacy then Location
- Here make sure the Location for this device is Turn on
In cause, if the problem is not solved it’s best to switch to Night light alternatives like F.LUX or Sunset Screen.
- How to fix network resource not available windows 10
- Solved: Windows 10 Taskbar not working after November 2019 update
- Difference Between Windows 10 Cumulative and Feature Updates
- Solved: The configured proxy server is not responding windows 10
- No Internet connection,“There is something wrong with the proxy server”
- How to Quickly Fix Blue Screen of Death Errors in Windows 10