Google Chrome sound not working? Here how to fix the problem
problem listening to audio while playing youtube videos on Chrome browser? Here how to fix no sound problem in Google chrome browser on Windows 10, 8. and 7
Google Chrome the most popular web browser not playing sound while watching YouTube videos or playing online musing on the web browser? I checked the computer volume level, started playing the music player everything is fine the audio is working without any issue but going back to chrome again can’t hear audio from there. Well, you are not alone, a few numbers of windows users report similar issues with no sound in chrome browsers on Windows 10 laptops.
Well, the easiest way to fix this problem could restart the browser or the Windows 10 Computer that probably fixes the problem if a temporary glitch causing the problem. If still, the problem persists, apply the solutions below to get sound back on google chrome.
No sound on Google Chrome
Lets first restart the browser or entire Windows 10 computer
Check the latest chrome version installed on your PC.
Ensure that your computer’s sound is not on mute. If you find volume control on the web app, make sure that the sound is audible as well.
- Open Volume mixer, by right click on the speaker icon on the system tray at the bottom right of your taskbar,
- Your Chrome app should be listed there under the ‘Applications‘ section towards the right.
- Make sure it isn’t muted or volume hasn’t been set to the lowest position.
- Check if Chrome is able to playback sound.
Note: If you do not see the volume controller for Chrome, you should try playing audio from your browser.
Check if the audio is working properly on other Internet browsers like Firefox and Explorer. You can also double-check if there’s sound coming from desktop apps.
Here the solution worked for me:
- Right, Click Speaker/headphones on the taskbar.
- Open Sound Settings
- Scroll down and click on App volume and device preferences
- Click on reset to Microsoft default
- Check if this works for you
Unmute individual tabs
Google Chrome allows you to mute individual sites with a click or two. You might have accidentally hit the mute button, and that’s why there is no sound on Chrome.
- Open the website having the sound issue,
- right-click on the tab at the top, and select Unmute site.
Allow sites to play sound
- Open Chrome browser,
- On address bar type chrome://settings/content/sound link and press enter key,
- Here Make sure the toggle next to ‘Allow sites to play sound (recommended)’ is blue.
- That means all sites can play music.
Disable Chrome extensions
Again there is a chance, some chrome extension causing the problem, Open chrome in ‘Incognito Mode‘ using keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + N Check to see if you are getting sound. If yes, then there might be an extension causing the issue.
- Type ‘chrome://extensions‘ in the address bar and press enter key,
- you will see a list of extensions installed on the chrome web browser,
- Toggle off them and check if chrome gets back the sound.
Clear cache and cookies
Cookies and cache are temporary files that boost the loading speed of web pages. However, over time, your browser collects too much of them. Consequently, Chrome becomes overloaded with temporary data, causing various issues like lack of audio
- On your Chrome browser, click on the three vertical dots at the top right corner.
- Select ‘More tools -> Clear browsing data.
- In the ‘Clear browsing data window that appears, you have the option to set a timeline against which the data will be cleared.
- Select ‘All time’ for a comprehensive clean-up job.
- Click on ‘Clear Data.
Note: There is an ‘Advanced’ tab as well that you can check for additional options.
If all else fails, then we might have to reinstall Chrome to give the browser a clean slate and hopefully solve the problem:
- Press Windows + R, type appwiz.cpl and click ok
- The programs and features window opens,
- here Locate and right-click on Chrome, then click Uninstall
- Restart your PC to completely remove the browser from Windows 10
- Now open internet explorer then download and install google chrome from the official site.
- Once done check if this helps.
Did these solutions help get sound back on google chrome? Let us know in the comments section.
- How to Fix Sound or Audio problems in Windows 10
- Check What Version of Windows 10 You Have installed on your computer/laptop
- Solved: Google Chrome High CPU usage on windows 10/8.1/7 !!!
- Computer Freezes Randomly after Windows 10 update? Let’s fix it
- Solved: DNS Server not responding error on Windows 10