- 1 The printer is error state
- 2 Fix printer problems on windows 10
Did your printer suddenly stopped working after the switch to Windows 10, Or Getting Printer in Error State, unable to print documents or unable to connect to the printer while trying to operate it? Due to this Error Printer in Error state the printing job stopped, here some effective solutions to fix printer problems on windows 10 And get it working again.
The printer is error state
I am unable to printer from my Lenovo Laptop to my HP Printer. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, turned off, unplugged, checked for driver updates, checked the Wireless Settings, you name it. I have received numerous messages, such as “Printer is Offline”, but the latest is “Printer is an error state“.
Fix printer problems on windows 10
Printer in error state problem on windows 10 is an error usually displayed when the printer is jammed, low in paper or ink, the cover is open, or the printer is not connected properly etc.
- First of all, you need to make sure that all the cables and connections of the printer are fit and doesn’t have a loophole.
- Make sure your devices connect to each other properly, try with a Different USB port and the network (either wireless or Bluetooth) or cable you use for the connection has no problem.
- Also Turn off the printer and check for paper jam then close all trays properly. If it has a paper jam slowly remove it.
- Check if the printer is low on ink, refill it if it is. If you are using WiFi printer, turn on the WiFi of the printer and the modem router.
Tweak on Device manager
Press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc and ok to open device manager. This will list all installed driver list, click on View menu and then select “Show hidden devices” option from the drop-down menu.
Next, expand the Ports (COM & LPT) category and right click on the Printer Port then select Properties option.
On the Printer Port (LPT1) Properties dialog box, go to the Port Settings tab and then select the option “Use any interrupt assigned to the port” and then check the “Enable legacy Plug and Play detection” box.
Click apply and ok, Restart windows and check the printer should be detected and work properly.
Check Print Spooler is Running
Follow the steps below to change the Print spooler service type to Automatic.
- Press Windows +R, Type services.msc and press enter.
- Scroll down and double click on service called print spooler.
- Here make sure the services are Started and set to Automatic.
- If not then change the startup type automatic and start the service next to service status.
- Then move to Recovery tab and change the first failure to “Restart the service“.
- Click apply and check printer back online and it’s on working state.
Clear print spooler files
Also clear spooler files and restart the spooler service helps to resolve most of printer related problems. To do this again open windows services, right click and stop the print spooler service.
- Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers and delete all data inside the printer folder.
- Again open following path C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86 and delete all data inside the folder.
- Restart the spooler service and check printer working.
Remove and Reinstall your printer
If you are still experiencing the same Printer in error state problem/ Printer is offline while taking printouts? Then try to update or reinstalling printer’s drivers on your system. To do this first we need to uninstall the printer driver from device manager.
To Remove/Uninstall the printer
- Disconnect your printer’s USB cable from your PC.
- Press Windows + R, devmgmt.msc and hit the enter key to open Device manager.
- Here expend Printers and Scanners, Right click on the installed printer driver and select uninstall device.
- When warning pop-up will appear “You are about to uninstall this device from your system“. Checkmark on delete the driver software for this device and click on Uninstall button to proceed.
- Once the printer drivers are uninstalled, restart your system.
To Reinstall the printer
Now after restart Visit your printer manufacturer website and download the latest available driver for your printer model.
Then install the printer driver, run the setup.exe and follow on-screen instructions to install the printer.
Install or add a wireless printer
Open Settings > Devices > Printers and Scanners. Select Add a printer or scanner. Wait for it to find nearby printers, choose the one you want, and then select Add device.
If your printer is on and connected to the network, Windows should find it easily. Available printers can include all printers on a network, such as Bluetooth and wireless printers or printers that are plugged into another computer and shared on the network. You might need permission to install some printers.
Install or add a local printer
If you want to connect to a local printer, simply plug the USB cable from your printer into an available USB port on your PC, and then turn on the printer.
Now open settings -> Devices > Printers and Scanners -> Add a printer or scanner. Wait for it to find available printers, choose the one you want, and then select Add device. If ask for any driver select the driver path ( previously downloaded from manufacturer website ).
Installing updated printer drivers manually might help you in fixing Printer is in error state Windows 10 printer problem and many similar printer issues.
Contact the Manufacturer
If the above efforts fail to work then you should contact the Device manufacturer for support. They provide chat service and Customer care numbers to help you in the problems like this. Also Read 3 Ways to Resolve IP address Conflict on windows 10.