Solved: Printer stopped working after windows 10 update 2021
Here how to fix different Windows 10 printer problems like print spooler not working, Windows could not connect to the printer, the Printer driver is not found, Printer Driver is Unavailable, print spooler service not running and more
Are you unable to print or scan documents after Install Windows update or upgrade to Windows 10 version 20H2? You are not alone, a number of users report printer suddenly stopped working after the switch to Windows 10 October 2020 update some others report
When trying to print to either printer, Windows immediately comes back with a message that says “problem initializing current printer – check settings”.
Operation couldn’t be completed and error code: 0X000007d1. Specified driver is invalid.
Windows could not connect to the printer
Sometimes the error is different like Windows could not connect to the printer, the Printer driver is not found, the Printer Driver is Unavailable, or the print spooler service not running and more. So If your printer stops working after installing the latest Windows 10 Update but it was fine before the update this is most likely the problem with the installed printer driver. which get corrupted, or not compatible with the current version. Again incorrect printer setup, print spooler service stuck responding also cause Windows 10 fails to print documents.
Fix Windows 10 printer not working
Note: solutions below are also applicable on Windows 7 and 8 to fix almost every printer (HP, Epson, canon, brother, Samsung, Konica, Ricoh and more) errors and problems.
- Before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps, make sure you have restarted Windows at least once.
- Check the USB cable connected properly on both PC and Printer printer end. And properly Connect your Printer to the computer and switch it ON.
- If you have network printer make sure the network (RJ 45) cable connected properly and the lights are blinking on. In case of Wireless printer, Switch it ON and connect it to the Wifi network.
- Also Try plugging your printer into another PC or laptop, to determine if the printer has problem itself.
Note: If Windows 10 cannot detect your printer, feel free to add it by clicking on ‘Add a printer/scanner’ (from Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers). And don’t be shy if your printer is a real old-timer – just click ‘My printer is a little older, help me find it’ and select the ‘Replace the current driver’ option. Reboot your computer afterward.
Check print Spooler service running
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and ok
- Here scroll down and look for service named “print spooler“
- Check the spooler service is running and its startup is set to automatic. Then right-click on the service name and select restart.
- If service not started, then double click on it. here print spooler properties change the startup type automatic and start the service as shown image below.
- Let’s try to print out some documents, printer working? if not follow next step.
Run Printer Troubleshooter
Windows has a built-in printer troubleshooting tool, that specially designed to deal with different printer problems like print spooler not working, Windows could not connect to the printer, the Printer driver is not found, Printer Driver is Unavailable, print spooler service not running and more. Simply run the print troubleshooter by following steps below and let windows to fix the problem itself.
- Press Windows + I to open settings,
- Click Update & security, then select troubleshoot.
- Now on the middle panel select printer and click on run troubleshooter.
During the troubleshooting, The printer troubleshooter could check for Print spooler service errors, Printer driver update, Printer connectivity issues, Errors from the printer driver, Printing queue and more. After complete, the process Restarts windows and try to print out some documents or a test page.
Check Printer Driver issue
The installed printer driver is the main and common reason behind almost every printer problem. Especially if the problem started after the windows 10 upgrade there is a chance the installed printer driver corrupted or not compatible with the current Windows 10 version 1909. And installing the correct printer driver, help most of the users to fix the problem.
First of all, visit the Printer manufacturer’s website and search for the latest available driver compatible with Windows 10 latest version. Download the printer driver software and save it to your local drive.
Then follow the proceeding below to first remove the old corrupted printer driver.
- Click on Windows Key+X > Apps and Features > Scroll down and click Programs and Features > Select your printer > Select Uninstall.
- Type Printer in Windows Search box > Printers & Scanners > Select your printer > Remove device.
- Or open control panel > programs and features > right click on installed printer driver and select uninstall.
- And restart windows to completely remove the printer driver.
After that Type Printer in Windows Start Search box > Click Printers & Scanners > On Right side, Click Add a printer or scanner > If Windows detects your printer, it will be listed > Select the printer and follow on screen directions to set it up (In case of Wifi printer, your computer should also be logged in to Wifi network)
In case Windows doesn’t detect your printer, then you will get a blue message – Click The printer that I want isn’t listed.
If you are using Bluetooth / Wireless printer > Select Add a Bluetooth, wireless or network discoverable printer > Choose the printer > Select your Printer and follow on screen directions.
If you are using a wired printer > Select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings > Select Use an existing port > Select your Printer and follow on screen directions. While installing and configure if ask for driver select the driver path before you downloaded from the printer manufacturer website. After complete, the installation try to print out a test page, and i am sure this time printer get succeed in printing the document.
Clear Print Spooler
Again some users recommend on Microsoft forum, Reddit clearing printer spooler helps them to fix the printer problem. To do this
- Type Services in Windows Start Search Box
- Click Services
- Scroll down to Print Spooler
- Right-click and choose to Stop for the Print Spooler service
- Go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\PRINTERS.
- Delete all the files in this folder
- Again from Services console and right-click and choose Start for the Print Spooler service
Did these solutions help to fix Windows 10 printer problems? let us know on the comments below.
- How To Setup And Configure an FTP server on Windows 10
- The official ways to Delay Windows 10 update installation (Home Edition)
- Here is the 5 Best Password Managers for Windows 10 in
- Fix Unable to install Printer Operation could not be completed
- Can’t adjust screen brightness on laptop after windows 10 update? Try these solutions
- Laptop won’t turn on even when plugged in? Try these solutions