Reset this PC feature on Windows 11 helps revert the system setting to factory default, fix most common problems and improve overall performance. This feature allows reinstall Windows 11 from scratch with a clean copy or you have the option to reset the factory default keeping your settings and files. If you experience serious problems such as Windows 11 not working correctly, running very slow, or has problems with the battery or apps Resetting Windows 11 without losing data and apps is a useful procedure in many cases. Here is how to reset Windows 11 without losing data and apps and keep your personal files, such as photos, music, videos or personal files. Make a note, it will remove apps and drivers you installed and also remove the changes you made to the settings.
If you face regular crashes, lags, or performance issues resetting windows 11 is a good option. To reset Windows 11, go to Settings > System > Recovery > Reset PC and choose the appropriate option based on your needs.
What is Reset This PC feature on Windows 11?
Reset this PC feature on Windows 11, allows quickly reset system settings factory default. This will reinstall the operating system using a locally available image (Or download a fresh Windows image from the Microsoft server if you select the cloud option).
The settings on your PC will also be reset to default, but retain all the data on your hard drive or SSD include folders, music, videos, photos, screenshots, documents, etc. However, you will lose all your installed apps and settings you have made.
This is very helpful in resolving underlying system issues. Enhance system performance and remove any bloatware application installed without the user’s knowledge
Reset a Windows 11 PC Without Losing Data
Usually, this post guide how to reset Windows 11 without any data loss, still for your safety we recommend Backup your important files before resetting. You can use external HDD or cloud storage to back up your files.
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings
- Navigate the system then click on the Recovery option,
Here you will get an option to fix problems without resetting your PC, We recommend first try this option and let Windows 11 fix the problems you are facing.
- Well if you already tried this option click on Reset PC next to recovery options,
- Now click on the Keep My Files option to reset Windows 11 without data loss.
Note – if you wish to completely reset your PC including data, select the second option Remove everything.
- On the next window, you have to select how you want to reinstall Windows 11 on your PC
- Local reinstall:- This option uses the locally available Windows 11 image to reset the computer without losing your files
- Cloud download:- This option downloads a fresh copy of Windows 11 From the Microsoft server, instead of using the locally available Windows 11 image.
Note:- If you select the cloud download option it will consume more than 4GB of data to download fresh Windows 11 images from the Microsoft server, and generally the process takes an additional 20-30 minutes depending on internet speed and hardware configuration.
- Let’s select the Local reinstall option, Select Next in the Additional Settings section.
- Now click View apps that will be removed and note down the app list (it makes it easy to install them next time)
- Finally, click on the Reset button to start reinstalling Windows 11 and your device restart after the reinstallation is completed.
- And your PC begins to reset, and it may restart several times in the process.
- Well, the process may take some time, if you are using Laptop we recommend plug it into the charger throughout the reset process.
During the resetting process, it will Remove apps and drivers you installed, and Reset any changes you made to settings. But Keeps photos, music, videos, or personal files (the data in drives is safe).
Once the reset process completes your computer restarts automatically and presents the fresh new Windows 11 window.
Factory Reset Windows 11 Without the Admin Password
If you lost your password or are unable to boot Windows 11 due to underlying system issues, you can factory reset Windows 11 Without the Admin Password from Advanced options.
- If your PC starts normally but you forget your Password then, click the power option at the lower bottom of the right corner hold the shift key and click on restart,
How to reset Windows 11 from boot
- Well if due to some serious issue, PC won’t boot normally or perform startup repair frequently you need to boot from installation media and click on the repair your computer option to enter the Windows recovery environment.
- In the Choose an option screen, click on the Troubleshoot option then click on Reset this PC
- Select the Keep My Files option to reset Windows 11 without data loss, but remove all the third-party apps and settings from your PC and the second option delete everything.
- Now you need to select an option between Cloud Download and Local Reinstall. Cloud download get a fresh copy of the Windows 11 image, and local reinstall and use existing system files from the device to reinstall Windows 11.
- When you are ready click on the Reset button to confirm the action and start the reset process.
Update windows 11
Once the reset is complete, the first thing you need to check and install the latest Windows 11 updates. That not only ensures Windows 11 not missing any security patches or driver but also optimize system performance as well.
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings
- Go to Windows Update then hit the check for updates button,
- If updates are available, allow them to download & install on your PC,
- In addition click on Advanced options, then Optional Updates,
- Here check mark and click download & install if optional updates or driver updates are available.
- And finally, reboot your PC to apply the changes.
Update Windows 11 drivers
Device drivers play an important role in Windows 11 performance. You need to ensure the latest driver version is installed on your PC to get the best performance.
- Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager,
- This will display a list of devices and peripherals connected to your PC.
- Expand them and look if any drivers listed with a yellow exclamation mark, if found any you need to update or reinstall the driver,
To update device drivers on the device manager, locate the driver, right-click on it select update driver. Select search automatically for the driver to get it automatically or select the second option to locate the driver manually.
In addition, you can visit device manufacturers for example Dell support to get the latest driver update for your Dell laptop. Applicable for other manufacturers as well. Or you can use any third-party driver updater software to make the process automatic.
Now download and install the apps that were removed during the reset process.
- Windows PC losing internet connection intermittently? Here is how to fix it
- Reset Windows Update components on Windows PC to fix download issues
- Windows 11 is very slow and unresponsive after update (7 ways to Speed up)
- windows 11 Outlook Search function Not Working, Let’s restore it
- Microsoft Edge is very slow on Windows 11. 7 tips to speed it up