Did you experience sudden slow internet speed on Windows 11? A number of users report, Recently upgraded to Windows 11 and notice the internet speed is very slow. “Getting better speed on mobile connected to the same wifi network but on Slow Internet Speed on Windows 11 Laptop.” Having a slow internet connection can be frustrating especially doing some important task online or have to attend an urgent Meeting. Misconfigured network settings, metered connection, problems with Wireless router, and Outdated network drivers amongst other reasons can cause slow download speed on Windows 11. Fortunately, there are several steps you can take to Increase internet speed on Windows 11. In this article, you will learn how to solve this slow download issue or Fast internet speed on Windows 11.
- 1 Why internet speed is slow on my Laptop
- 2 How to Fast internet speed on Windows 11
- 2.1 Check WiFi Signal Strength
- 2.2 Restart Router and Windows 11 PC
- 2.3 Disable Bandwidth Consuming Processes
- 2.4 Run the Internet Troubleshooter
- 2.5 Lower bandwidth for update
- 2.6 Reset Network configuration
- 2.7 Update Network driver
- 2.8 Change the DNS server
- 2.9 Reset Network Settings on Windows 11
- 2.10 Clear Browser Cache and Cookies
Why internet speed is slow on my Laptop
There are several factors that may slow down internet speed on Windows 11 Laptops. One of the significant reasons behind slow internet speed could be bad router position. The WiFi signal strength may weaken, leading to slower internet speeds.
If you experience slow download speed after a recent Windows 11 update or upgrade it may be network drivers on your laptop are outdated or incompatible, which impacts your ability to connect to the internet efficiently and result in slower speeds.
Again Certain applications running in the background or large downloads taking place on your laptop can consume significant bandwidth, causing slower internet speeds for other tasks.
Malicious software or viruses on your laptop can impact its overall performance, including internet speeds. Accumulated cache and cookies in your web browser can impact browsing speed and lead to slower internet performance
How to Fast internet speed on Windows 11
In quick here is how to Increase internet speed on Windows 11:
- Move your Laptop closer to the Wi-Fi router to strengthen the signal.
- Restart your router and modem to refresh the connection.
- Update the network drivers on your laptop to ensure compatibility and optimal performance.
- Disconnect any unnecessary devices or applications that may be consuming bandwidth.
- Clear your browser cache and cookies to optimize browser performance.
- Consider upgrading your internet plan or contacting your ISP for assistance.
- Run a thorough antivirus scan to check for any malware or viruses that may be affecting your laptop’s performance.
Note – To check your current internet speed you can use online tools, such as Ookla Speedtest, and fast.com that help measure your internet speed.
Check WiFi Signal Strength
Most of time low Wi-Fi signal can lead to slow internet speeds and hinder your online experience. If you experience slow internet speed on your Laptop the first thing you need to check the WiFi signal strength.
A poor router position is another culprit for a slow internet connection
Take your laptop closer to Wireless router or switching to a wired Ethernet connection can provide a more stable and faster internet experience.
Also if you are using VPN, It can also slow down your Internet connection speed. Consider disable the VPN client and check If you see an instant boost in your internet speed.
Restart Router and Windows 11 PC
Again a simple restart of your router and Windows 11 Laptop resolves many problems include slow internet speed. It works by clearing away everything from RAM, giving your Device a fresh restart. Click on the Start menu, click the power icon and select the Restart option to restart Windows 11.
Unplug the power source of your router and wait for about 30 seconds. Now plug them back in. Allow a few minutes for the devices to reboot and reconnect to the internet. This simple action can fix temporary glitches and improve your connection speed.
Disable Bandwidth Consuming Processes
Unnecessary background running applications may consume bandwidth and leave the main application with limited resources that cause slow download speed. And disable those processes can Increase internet speed on Windows 11.
Here is how to identify and end Windows 11 processes that are using up unnecessary bandwidth and slow down the internet speed.
- First Open the Task Manager using Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Click on the Performance tab and select Open Resource Monitor at the bottom.
- When Resource Monitor opens, select the Network tab, Right-click on processes that use a lot of bandwidth and click End process from the menu.
In addition, Disable apps from running in the background not only frees up system resources but also saves bandwidth using Windows 11.
- Right-click on the Start menu select install apps,
- Locate the app that you don’t want running in the background, click on the ellipsis next to it and then select Advanced options
- Under the Background Apps permissions section, select Never from the dropdown menu.
Run the Internet Troubleshooter
Windows 11 include various troubleshooting tools that identify and eliminate commonly known issues automatically. Let’s run the Internet troubleshooter, this can help you fix internet issues, including slow internet speed.
- Press Windows key + I to open the settings app
- Go to system then troubleshoot and click on Other troubleshooters.
- look for the Internet Connections option and click on Run.
- The troubleshooter will start scanning for errors on your system and will solve them if it finds any.
- In addition, run the troubleshooter for the Network adapter as well to fix problems related network adapter that may speed up internet speed.
- Once troubleshooting is complete, reboot Windows 11 and check if you notice any improvements.
Lower bandwidth for update
By limiting the bandwidth used for updates, you can ensure that your internet connection remains fast and responsive during essential tasks like browsing, streaming, or gaming. Here’s how you can adjust the bandwidth settings for updates on Windows 11.
- Press Windows key + I to open settings, Go to windows update then select Advanced options,
- Under Additional Options, go to Delivery Optimization and Turn off the ‘Allow downloads from other PCs’ option.
- Now open Advanced options, Under Download settings, select Absolute bandwidth and mark both the checkboxes to limit bandwidth allocation while downloading updates.
- Alternatively, you can also select the Percentage of measured bandwidth option and use the sliders to allocate bandwidth for downloading updates.
Reset Network configuration
Resetting the network configuration on Windows 11 can help resolve various network-related issues, including slow internet speed. It clears out any misconfigurations or conflicting settings that may be impacting your network performance. Try resetting your network settings and check if you notice any improvements.
Press the Windows key + S, type cmd and select run as administrator. Now run the following commands to reset the network configuration default.
netsh int ip reset
netsh advfirewall reset
netsh winsock reset
ipconfig / flushdns
ipconfig / release
ipconfig / renew
Restart your computer and check your Internet speed.
Update Network driver
Sometimes, outdated network drivers may also cause the Internet slow on one computer but fast on another Device. Therefore, you can try to update your network drivers to fix this issue. Here’s how you can update your network driver on Windows 11.
Outdated or faulty network drivers can significantly impact your internet speed.
To update your network drivers on Windows 11:
- Press Win + X and select “Device Manager” from the menu.
- Expand the “Network adapters” category, Right-click on your network adapter and select “Update driver.”
- Choose the option to search automatically for updated driver software and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once the update is finished, restart your computer to apply the changes.
Change the DNS server
The DNS server is responsible for translating domain names into IP addresses that computers can understand. By using a faster and more reliable DNS server, you can reduce the time it takes to resolve domain names and improve your overall internet speed.
Here is How to change the DNS server on Windows 11.
- Press Windows key + R, type ncpa.cpl and click ok to open network connections
- Right-click on Active WiFi adapter and select properties,
- Double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) to open properties,
- Click on Use the following IP address bulletin and Enter 18.104.22.168 in the Preferred DNS server and 22.214.171.124 in the Alternative DNS server
Reset Network Settings on Windows 11
Still, stuck with a slow internet speed on your Windows? In that case, as a last resort, you can try resetting your network settings and see if this help fix the slow internet speed problem on Windows 11.
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings menu.
- From there, click on the Network & Internet tab and then select Advanced Network Settings.
- From there, select Network Reset. Then click on the Reset Now button to being the reset process.
Clear Browser Cache and Cookies
Sometimes cluttered browser cache and accumulated cookies can impact your internet speed. Clearing them regularly can improve your browsing experience. Here’s how to clear cache and cookies in Microsoft Edge (the default browser in Windows 11). Applicable for Google Chrome or Opera as well.
- Open Microsoft Edge and press Ctrl + Shift + Delete.
- Check the boxes for “Cached images and files” and “Cookies and other site data.”
- Click on “Clear” to delete the selected data.
Here is a video explain some additional tips to increase INTERNET SPEED in Windows 11.
- 10 Tips to Optimize Windows 10 Performance to Get Ultra-Fast Speed
- 7 Tips to Fast a Slow Windows 11 Computer in Less Than 10 Minutes
- Google Chrome Won’t download files on Windows 11 (Solved)
- How to fix internet connection problems on Windows 10 (9 solutions to fix)
- Windows 11 Remote Desktop Connection Not Working [Solved]