Microsoft Edge the default web browser for Windows 11, is known for its speed and efficiency. The company regularly updates the Edge browser with the latest bug fixes and security improvements to enhance its performance and browsing experience. However, at times you may experience Microsoft Edge running slow, not responding, or take more than 2sec to load a web page. Users report Microsoft Edge closes immediately after opening, Microsoft Edge not opening or running slow on Windows 11. Let’s find out the reason behind this and how to make Microsoft Edge faster with Windows 11.
Why is Microsoft Edge so slow on Windows 11?
Like any other web browser, Microsoft Edge can run slow or become unresponsive due to various reasons, outdated browser, Malicious extensions, browser accumulated with cache, and cookies are common.
Opening too many tabs or running multiple resource-intensive websites simultaneously can overload the browser and slow it down.
Running an older version of Microsoft Edge might cause performance issues, and you need to update the browser with the latest version to make it faster on Windows 11.
Accumulation of cache and cookies over time can impact browser performance. Clearing them regularly can help improve speed.
Again Installing too many extensions or add-ons can use up system resources and lead to slow browsing or crashing. Removing them probably fast Microsoft edge on windows 11.
In some cases, enabling hardware acceleration can cause compatibility issues with certain graphics drivers, resulting in sluggish performance. Again Malicious software can slow down your browser and cause it to become unresponsive.
Slow or unstable internet connections can make web pages load slowly or cause the browser to become unresponsive.
How to speed up Microsoft edge windows 11
If Microsoft Edge running slow or not responding, update the browser to take advantage of the latest performance improvements. In addition clear your browser’s cache and cookies to free up resources and probably make Microsoft edge faster on Windows 11.
If Microsoft Edge not opening on your computer:
- Press and hold Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Look for Microsoft Edge from the list. Click it and press End Task.
- This will completely close the app, not open the browser
Restart windows 11
Restarting your device can often help improve the overall performance of Microsoft Edge. When you restart your computer, it clears the memory and closes any problematic processes. It provides a fresh start and can resolve issues with slow or unresponsive behavior in Edge. If you experience performance problems, try restarting your device first before exploring other solutions.
Update Microsoft Edge
Ensure that you are running the latest version of Microsoft Edge. Updates often include bug fixes, performance improvements, and new features that can significantly enhance browser speed. In addition, update Windows 11 improves overall system performance and you feel optimized performance on Microsoft Edge.
Updates often include bug fixes and performance improvements that can enhance browser speed.
To update Microsoft Edge:
- Open Microsoft Edge, click the three-dot menu then settings
- Select About Microsoft Edge from the left-side navigation.
- Alternatively, type edge://settings/help on the address bar then press enter key
- This will check for and install any available updates.
To update Windows 11:
- Click on the Start button, then select “Settings” (gear icon).
- Go to “Windows update” and Click on “Check for updates”
- If new updates are available, or pending there, allow them to download and install on your device
- Once done, reboot your PC to apply the changes.
Clear Edge Browsing data
Over time, your browser accumulates cache and cookies that can slow down Edge’s performance. Clearing them regularly can help Speed Up Microsoft Edge on windows 11.
excessive cookies and cache can reduce the web browser’s performance.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Microsoft Edge browser on your device
- Press “Ctrl + Shift + Delete” simultaneously or type edge://settings/privacy on the address bar then press enter key.
- In the new window, select “Cached images and files” and “Cookies and other site data.”
- Select Time range all time and finally, Click “Clear.”
Also, you can Run third-party Applications like Ccleaner to do the job with one click. After that, you should experience performance improvement on Edge Browser.
Disable Unnecessary Extensions
Extensions can add useful functionality to Edge, but having too many active extensions can negatively impact performance. Disable or remove any extensions that you don’t regularly use.
Edge Extensions can obstruct page loading in some instances
- Click on the three-dot menu in the top-right corner.
- Go to “Extensions.” then click manage extensions
- Disable or remove any extensions you don’t need.
Adjust Edge Settings
Tweaking certain browser settings can help improve performance:
- Open Edge browser, type “edge://settings/system” into the address bar and press Enter.
- Scroll down and turn off “Use hardware acceleration when available.”
- While hardware acceleration can speed up rendering, it may cause issues on some systems.
- Restart Edge to apply the changes.
Change the Tracking Prevention Setting
Microsoft Edge offers a built-in Tracking Prevention feature to safeguard user privacy by blocking website trackers. However, the Strict setting, while secure, may slow down browsing and cause glitches. To improve browsing speed and performance, you can adjust the Tracking Prevention setting in Microsoft Edge.
- Open Microsoft Edge on your computer.
- Click the three-dot menu in the top-right corner and select “Settings” from the list.
- On the Settings page, click on “Privacy, search, and Services.”
- Under the “Tracking prevention” section, switch from “Strict” to “Balanced.”
Disable the “Preload New Tab Page” Option
Disabling the “Preload New Tab Page” option in Microsoft Edge can indeed help improve the browser’s performance, especially on computers with limited resources.
- Open Microsoft Edge settings, locate and click on “Start, home, and new tabs” from the left-side navigation menu.
- Scroll down to find the option “Preload the new tab page for a faster experience.” toggle it off.
- Relaunch Microsoft Edge for the changes to take effect.
Reset Microsoft Edge default
If the above solutions didn’t fix the problem, still Microsoft edge very slow or not respond. Reset the browser default help resolve various performance issues and restore the browser to its default settings.
- Open Microsoft Edge, Click on the three-dot menu in the top-right corner and select “Settings.”
- Scroll down and click on the “Reset settings” option, then Restore settings to their default values,
- A confirmation prompt will ask if you want to reset Microsoft Edge. Click on “Reset” to proceed.
- Edge will now reset, and your browsing data, extensions, and settings will be cleared.
- After the reset is complete, relaunch Microsoft Edge and check if the performance has improved.
Resetting Edge will clear your browsing data, disable extensions, and revert custom settings, potentially eliminating any conflicts or misconfigurations that might be causing the browser to run slow or become unresponsive.