SysMain/Superfetch causing High CPU 100 disk usage Windows 10, Should i disable it?
Superfetch also knows as SysMain in Windows 10 is a Windows service that is intended to make your applications launch faster and improve your system respond speed. Here this post explains what SysMain service does and 3 different ways to Disable SysMain service in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7.
With Windows 10 version 1809 aka October 2019 update, Microsoft has replaced Superfetch service with SysMain which is basically exactly the same thing but under a new name. Means similar to Superfetch Now SysMain service analyzes your computer usage patterns and optimizes app launching and programs on your computer.
SysMain 100 disk usage
But few Windows 10 users report SysMain starts using up too many resources, showing 100% disk usage and slowing down the computer to unbearable levels. For few other users notice SysMain ends up eating up all CPU power, not the disk, and Windows 10 freezes at startup. And the reason may various Driver or software incompatibility, stuck in a loop in preloading of data, third-party software or game incompatibility, and more.
So now the question is on your mind should I disable SysMain in Windows 10?
The straight answer is yes, you can disable SysMain service, it doesn’t affect your system performance and You can enable it again at any time. SysMain service is just to optimize the system performance and not a required service. Windows 10 work smoothly even without this service, But Unless you’re having no problems with it (yet), we recommend wouldn’t disable it.
Disable SysMain Windows 10
Well if you have noticed SysMain service slow down your PC performance, don’t hesitate to disable SysMain. Here in this post, we have listed different ways to disable SysMain service and fix the High CPU or disk usage problem on Windows 10.
Using the Windows service console
Here is a quick method to disable SysMain/Superfetch service from Windows 10.
- Type services in the search box on the taskbar.
- Click on the services.
- This will open Windows services console,
- Scroll down and locate SysMain Service
- Double click on the Superfetch or SysMain service. Or right-click and select properties.
- Here Set the startup type ‘Disabled’.
- And also click on the Stop button to stop the service immediately.
Note: Also anytime you can enable this following above steps as well.
Using Command prompt
Also, you can use the command prompt to disable SysMain or Superfetch service as well.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Type command net.exe stop SysMain and Press Enter key on the keyboard,
- Similarly, type “sc config sysmain start=disabled” and Press Enter to change its startup type disabled.
Note: If you are on older windows 10 version 1803 or Windows 7 or 8.1 then you need to replace SysMain with Superfetch. (As with Windows 10 version 1809 Microsoft renamed Superfetch as SysMain.)
Also anytime you can revert the changes using command sc config sysmain start=automatic that changes startup type to automatic and enable this service using command net.exe start SysMain.
Tweak Windows registry
Also, you can tweak the windows registry to disable the SysMain service on Windows 10.
- Search “Registry Editor” in Windows Search and open it.
- On the left-hand side expend following the path,
Here Double-click on the “Enable Superfetch” key on the panel on the right side. Change its value from ‘1’ to ‘0’ ⇒ Click on OK
- 0 – to disable Superfetch
- 1 – to enable prefetching when the program is launched
- 2 – to enable boot prefetching
- 3 – to enable prefetching of everything
Close the Registry Editor and Restart the system.
In addition, you need to apply the following solutions as well to decrease Disk and CPU usage on Windows 10.
Disable Windows tips
Windows 10 Settings includes an option to display tips and tricks. Some users have linked it to the disk usage problem. You can disable tips by following the steps below.
- Open Settings
- Click System then Notifications & actions.
- Here Turn off Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use the Windows toggle button.
Perform a disk check
A good way to spot issues with your Windows installation is by performing the disk check using your computer’s inbuilt disk check utility. To do so and, take care of Windows 10 100 disk usage, perform the following simple steps one by one:
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Now type command chkdsk.exe /f /r and hit the enter key,
- Next type Y to confirm the disk check during the next restart.
- Close everything and restart your PC, disk check utility will run.
- Wait until 100% complete the scanning process once done restart your PC.
- Now check the disk usage again in Task Manager to see if the problem has been fixed.
Sometimes corrupt system files also cause high system resource usage as well, run build in SFC utility that scan and restore missing system files with correct one and help reduce high CPU usage on Windows 10.
- Solved: Keyboard and mouse not working after windows 10 update
- Fix “We couldn’t Complete Updates. Undoing the changes” on Windows 10
- YouTube Not perform well on Microsoft Edge windows 10? Here how to fix
- 7 Best Antivirus Software for Windows 10 PC in
- How To well Optimize Windows 10 Performance For Gaming
- Solved: Windows Was Unable to Complete the Format Error