System and compressed memory High disk usage on windows 10
Windows Users report after the recent windows 10 Upgrade system became not responsive at startup and 100% Disk Usage by System and Compressed Memory. If you are also facing the same problem continue Reading this post we have some most effective solutions to fix the system and compressed memory high CPU usage, ntoskrnl.exe or system and compressed memory high disk usage or 100% memory usage problem on windows 10. Before applying solutions Lets first Understand What is the system and compressed memory (ntoskrnl.exe) And why its usage 100% Disk or CPU?
What are the system and compressed memory?
System and compressed memory is a Windows service that is mainly responsible for compressing the different types of files and folders as well as the management of any RAM that is available. This helps to handle the compression and extraction of your less use and old drivers and files, making it easier to store and faster to use when you need them. Also controls and monitors various functions that are related to the system and Random Access Memory associated operations.
Basically, this system and compressed memory process are supposed to occupy a very small amount of space on the disk as well as the CPU. However, sometimes due to any reason the process can begin to use almost 100% Disk and CPU usage And Windows became unusable, users unable to perform any task on their computer.
System and compressed memory high CPU
The System and compressed memory process High disk usage problem start mostly Two reasons. May you messed around with your virtual memory settings and ended up changing the paging file size from Automatic to a set value or the System and compressed memory process is simply going haywire. Some Others are may windows system files get corrupted, System has been infected with virus malware or any third-party application causing the issue, etc. Whatever the reason behind this problem here are some most effective solutions to fix ntoskrnl.exe or system and compressed memory high CPU usage, 100% Disk usage, etc.
Start with basic perform a full system scan with the latest updated antivirus application. To make sure any virus/malware infections not causing 100% CPU, Disk usage issue.
Run system file checker utility And DISM command to make sure any corrupted system files, Missing system files not causing the issue. Running SFC utility check for missing system files if found any the utility restore them from a compressed folder located on %WinDir%\System32\dllcache. Again if SFC fails to repair corrupted system files Run DISM command which repairs the system image and enables SFC to do its job. After performing these actions Restart your windows and check the problem solved.
Set the paging file size for all drives back to automatic
By default, Windows will set the pagefile.sys file size and manage it automatically. If you recently adjust the virtual memory and set customized the paging file size for any of your drives, This can lead to problems with memory compression in Windows 10, ultimately leading to 100% disk usage by the System and compressed memory process. And restoring it back to the default setting will help you solve this problem.
Click on windows 10 start menu search and type performance. Now Click on the search result named Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
This will open the performance options popup here move to advanced options – > click on change under virtual memory. Now In the Virtual Memory window, check the “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives” box. Click on OK. Click on Apply and then on OK in the Performance Options window. This will ask to restart windows to take effect the changes you have made. Simply restart windows and check the problem is fixed.
Set Correct Permission for System and Compressed Memory Process
If the first solution does not work well for you. Don’t worry! You can simply try the second solution to get system and compressed memory high disk usage problem.
- Press Windows key + S type Taskschd.msc and hit Enter to open Task Scheduler.
- Then navigate to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > MemoryDiagnostic.
- Double click on ProcessMemoryDiagnostic Events and then click Change User or Group under Security Options.
- Here Click Advanced and then click Find Now.
- Scroll down and select your user account from the list then click OK.
- Checkmark Run with highest privileges and then click OK.
- Do the same steps for RunFullMemoryDiagnostic and close everything.
- Reboot your PC to take effect the changes.
- After that check Windows working normally without any high CPU, Disk usage.
Disable System and Compressed Memory
If applying both solutions does not work still 100% CPU or Disk usage by system and compressed memory Don’t worry! Here is the most effective solution to completely Disable the system and compressed memory process.
- Click on Start menu search type Task Scheduler and hit the enter key.
- Here on the Task Scheduler, double-click on Task Scheduler Library in the left pane to expand its contents.
- Double-click on Microsoft in the left pane to expand its contents.
- Next Double-click on Windows in the left pane to expand its contents.
- Scroll down and Click on MemoryDiagnostic in the left pane to have its contents displayed in the right pane.
- locate and right-click on a task named RunFullMemoryDiagnosticEntry and Click on Disable in the contextual menu.
- That’s all Close the Task Scheduler and restart your computer.
- Check to see if the issue persists once your computer boots up.
Disable Superfetch Service
Sometimes some windows services ( specially Superfetch, And BITS service ) running on the background can cause different issues, Usage unnecessary system resources which causes a High System resource usage problem on windows 10. We recommend disabling the Superfetch service by following the steps below and check it helps to fix100% Disk usage problems.
Press Windows + R, type services.msc, and hit the enter key. Look for a service named superfetch and double click on it to open its properties. Here change the startup type disable and stop the service next to service status as shown image below. click apply and ok to save changes, Restart windows to take effect the changes. On the next start check, there are no more 100% Disk usage problems.
Adjust your PC for Best Performance
This is another effective solution To reduce High Memory, Disk, or CPU usage on windows 10.
- Simply press Windows Key + R then type sysdm.cpl and hit Enter to open System Properties.
- Switch to the Advanced tab and then click on Settings under Performance.
- Now Under the Visual Effects tab select the radio button “Adjust for best performance“. Click Apply followed by OK.
- Reboot your PC and check There is no more than 100% Disk Usage by the System and Compressed Memory.
Some Other Solutions To Apply
Disable Fast Startup: Open Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Power Options. Then from the left window pane select Choose what the power buttons do. Now click on “Change settings that are currently unavailable.“ And Uncheck “Turn on fast startup” and click on Save changes.
Tweak Google Chrome and Skype: On Google Chrome Navigate to Settings > Show Advanced Settings > Privacy > Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly. Disable the toggle next to “Use a prediction service to load pages.”
For Skype ( make sure you have exited the skype application ) navigate toC:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\ Right-click on Skype.exe and select Properties. Switch to the Security tab and click Edit. Select ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES under Group or user names then checkmark Write under Allow.
These are some most effective solutions to fix ntoskrnl.exe or system and compressed memory high disk usage, 100% Disk usage, or memory usage on Windows 10 PC. And I am sure applying the above solutions will 100% resolve the issue. Still have any questions regarding this post feel free to discuss them in the comments below. Also, Read Windows 10 Running slow? Here how to make windows 10 run faster.
- 7 ways to fix Windows 10 black screen with cursor after login
- Fix: Windows 10 Runtime Broker High CPU usage, 100% Disk usage
- Windows 10 Start Menu Not Working? Here are 5 solutions to Fix It
- Fix windows store won’t open error code 0x80070422 in Windows 10
- How to remove activate windows 10 watermark without a product key