windows 10 Laptop running slow after update? Here how to make it faster
laptop running slow after or freezes after recent windows 10 update? Here we have effective tips that help make your laptop blazing fast.
Did you notice Windows 10 Running slow After the recent windows upgrade? There are many speculations about why this happens. Some believe it’s the temporary application files, malware virus infection, others think it’s the corrupted registry files, Application problems. Whatever the Reason for windows buggy performance. Here most useful Tweaks to optimize windows 10 performance, Fix windows slow performance issues make Windows 10 run faster.
How To optimize windows 10 performance
There are three basic categories to speed up and optimize Windows 10 performance: operating system (OS) tweaks, software enhancements, and app replacement or removal. But whatever the cause, here are tweaks to make your Windows 10 run faster. Such As tweak windows performance for quicker login from start-up and shut down, stopping applications from automatically loading at startup, and getting rid of a PC manufacturer’s bloatware etc.
Optimize Your Windows Startup Processes
Startup processes are those apps that start running the moment you boot your PC. They impact boot time and limit the speed of your PC for a while even after booting is complete. Obviously, the more processes the system has to run during bootup, the longer it takes to boot up to the working state. To make your Windows OS run faster, stop these apps from starting by following these steps.
Disable Startup programs
- You can stop These startup apps from Task Manager, click on the startup tab.
- This will list all app list with startup impact.
- If you feel an app listed there is unnecessary, simply right-click on it and select disable.
Disable Background Running apps
Again Apps running in the background take system resources, heat up your PC and reduce its overall performance. That’s why it’s better to disable them to speed up Windows 10 performance and start them manually whenever you required.
- You Can Disable Background Running Apps From Settings click on privacy.
- Then go to the last option in the left panel Background apps.
- Here switch off toggles to turn off background apps you don’t need or use.
Free up hard drive space
Whether it is a traditional Disk Hard Drive (HDD) or Solid-State Drive (SSD) Typically, this becomes more evident after 70 percent of the total capacity has been used.
delete temporary and unnecessary files to reclaim space and optimize system performance.
To free up storage space on Windows 10
- Press Windows key + I to open settings,
- Click on the system then storage,
- Under the local disk, section click the Temporary files option.
- Check the files you want to delete to reclaim space and improve system performance.
- Finally, Click the Remove files button.
Use drive defragmentation
Skip this part if you have SSD drive on your PC, But If you have a device with older hardware with a traditional rotating platters hard drive, organizing the data can increase the machine’s responsiveness.
- Press Windows key + x then select settings,
- Click on the system then storage,
- Under the “More storage settings” section, click the Optimize Drives option.
- Select the drive that needs defragmentation (Basically its C drive) and click optimize button,
This will rearrange the files to make them accessible more quickly the next time they are needed, translating into noticeable performance improvement.
Uninstall Unnecessary Applications
If your PC came with preinstalled apps you don’t want or need, get rid of them. The same goes for any apps you installed that you later found to be of little or no use. (They might run in the background without your knowledge.) We recommend uninstalling these unnecessary applications to optimize windows performance. To do this
- Press Windows + R, type appwiz.cpl and hit the enter key.
- Here on programs and features select the programs you no longer need and click Uninstall at the top of the list.
Make sure the device is up to date
If the device has an older release of Windows 10, upgrading to the most recent version can speed up the performance or introduce new features that could make you more productive to get work done faster.
Install windows update
Microsoft regularly releases windows updates with security fixes and performance improvements. Installing the latest windows updates not only fix previous bugs but also improve system performance as well.
- Press Windows key + I to open settings,
- Click update & security the check for updates to allow download and install windows updates from Microsoft server
- Once done you need to restart your computer to apply them.
Update device drivers
There are chances, your computer is running slow because of a compatibility issue or a poorly designed driver. In such cases, you can resolve the performance issue by downloading and installing the latest driver available from the manufacturer support website.
Again Outdated apps can slow down a computer, and usually, this is due to bugs or compatibility problems with a new version of Windows 10. You can update Microsoft Store apps following the steps below.
- Open Microsoft Store then Click the See more (ellipsis) button from the top-right corner.
- Select the Downloads and updates option, then Click the Get updates button.
- Click the Update all option to update all installed apps on your computer.
Repair Windows setup files
It could be due to corrupted system files windows 10 Not performing well. you can use the Deployment Image Service and Management Tool (DISM) and System File Checker (SFC) command-line tools to fix the setup without reinstallation.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Run command DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (Let 100% scanning complete)
- Next run system file checker command sfc /scannow (This will scan and replace corrupted system files with correct ones.
- Once the scanning process 100% complete restart your PC and check there are improvements in system performance.
Switch to high-performance power plan
Windows 10 includes different plans (Balanced, Power saver, and High performance) to optimize power usage. Switch to high performance option allows the device to use more power to operate faster and boost the system performance,
- Open Settings then Click on Power & sleep.
- Under the “Related settings” section, click the Additional power settings option.
- Click the Show additional plans option (if applicable).
- Select the High-performance power plan.
Increase page file size
The “page file” is a hidden file on the hard drive that works as memory, and it acts as an overflow of the system memory, which holds data for apps currently running on the device. And increase the size of the paging file, help to boost system performance.
- Open Settings then Click on System.
- Click on About, Under the “Related settings” section, click the Advanced system settings option.
- Click the Advanced tab then Under the “Performance” section, click the Settings button.
- Click the Advanced tab, Under the “Virtual memory” section, click the Change button.
- Clear the Automatically manage paging files size for all drives option.
- Select the Custom size option.
- Specify the initial and maximum size for the paging file in megabytes.
- Click the Set button then the OK button and finally restart your computer.
Disable visual effects
In addition Disable animations, shadows, smooth fonts, and other effects on Windows 10 to save resources and make the computer seem a little faster.
- Open Settings, Click on System.
- Click on About here Under the “Related settings” section, click the Advanced system settings option from the right pane.
- Click the Advanced tab, Under the “Performance” section, click the Settings button.
- Click the Visual Effects tab, select the Adjust for best performance option to disable all the effects and animations.
- Click the Apply button then OK button.
Disable transparency effects
To speed up Windows 10 disabling Fluent Design effects, use these steps:
- Open Settings, Click on Personalization.
- Click on Colors, Turn off the Transparency effects toggle switch.
Also, perform a full system scan with the latest updated antivirus or anti-malware software that helps if the virus or malware infection eating up system resources and make windows 10 slower.
Pro Tip: Upgrading to a Solid-State Drive is perhaps one of the best ways to increase performance on older hardware. Usually, it’s because SSDs do not have moving parts like traditional hard drives, which means data can be read and written a lot faster.
- How To Prevent Apps From Running in the Background in Windows 10
- Windows 10 computer slow not responding after update? let’s optimize it
- Can’t download apps from the Microsoft Store, install button Grayed out? Lets fix it
- 7 tips to fast a Slow Windows 10 Computer in Less Than 10 Minutes
- Top 10 Tips to Speed up Chrome Browser up to 5 times faster