Solved: Windows 10 100% Disk usage after October 2020 Update
The desktop computer is freezing up and becoming unresponsive after windows update? Windows 10 is almost impossible to use boot up takes about a long time to start any programs. And Checking on task manager says Windows 10 100 disk usage, however, every process says 0 MB used. If you are also struggling with computer slow performance after update, windows 10 100 disk usage freeze here some effective solutions to apply.
Windows 10 100 disk usage
Installing the latest updates resolve mysterious problems with your Windows 10 system. Check for and install the latest windows updates following the steps below.
- Press Windows + X and select settings,
- Click Update & security, then windows update,
- Now click the Check for updates button to check for and install the latest windows updates.
- Restart windows and check, if there is no more 100 Disk usage.
Apply if Google Chrome, skype causing 100 Disk usage
- Open Google Chrome browser,
- Settings > Show Advanced Settings > Privacy.
- Here, untick the option called Prefetch resources to load pages more quickly.
Make sure you have exited Skype and it is not running in the taskbar (if it is running in the taskbar then quit it).
- Open Windows Explorer and open the following folder:
- “C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\”
- Now right-click “Skype.exe” file and then click “Properties” and open the “Security” tab.
- Click the “Edit” button and then highlight “ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES” and place a tick in the “Write” box.
- Click “Apply” and then “OK” and then “OK” again.
- Reboot windows and check there is no more High disk usage problem there.
The sysmain (Previously know as superfetch) service helps to pre-load the programs you often use into memory. But if you don’t use any of the programs after turning on the PC, it will still take up a high percentage of the disk. Also, the HomeGroup services can result in the high workload of the disk and the CPU and slow down the system running.
Disable the services in Windows 10 and check the problem may fix for you.
- Press Windows Key+ R, type services.msc and press Enter.
- Locate sysmain and Double-click to get its properties.
- Select Automatic (Delay Start) from the drop-down menu of Startup type.
- Click apply and ok
- Again Double-click the HomeGroupListener, the HomeGroup Provider and the Windows Search.
- Select Disabled from the drop-down menu of Startup type.
Check Windows 10 High disk usage problem resolved.
Disable Fast Startup Windows 10
A number of users report they encountering performance issues after installing Windows 10 1909 due to fast startup (enabled by default). Disable Fast startup help them to fix the issue.
- Press Windows key + X, then select Power Options.
- Under Related settings(right-side of the window), click Additional power settings.
- In the left pane, select Choose what the power buttons do.
- Click Change settings that are currently unavailable
- Under Shutdown settings, uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended).
- Click Save changes.
- Restart windows PC and check there is no more High Disk usage.
Reset virtual memory
Virtual memory treats your disk as if it is RAM and uses it to swap out temporary files when it runs out of actual RAM. Errors in the pagefile.sys can cause 100% disk usage on your Windows 10 machine. The remedy to this problem is to reset your virtual memory settings.
- Press Windows + Pause/ Break key to open System Properties
- Then choose Advanced System Settings on the left panel.
- Go to the Advanced tab, then click Settings.
- again Go to the Advanced tab, and choose Change in the Virtual memory section.
- Ensure the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box is check marked
- Click apply and ok
- Then press Windows + R, type temp and ok
- Select all the files in the Temp folder and delete them.
- Now restart windows and check the disk usage.
Fix Your StorAHCI.sys Driver
And the ultimate solution: The Windows 10 100% disk usage problem might also be caused by some Advanced Host Controller Interface PCI-Express (AHCI PCIe) models running with the inbox StorAHCI.sys driver due to a firmware bug Here’s how to determine if this is your problem and fix it:
- Press Windows + X and select Device Manager,
- Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers category, and double-click the AHCI controller.
- Go to the Driver tab and click Driver Details.
- If you can see storahci.sys stored in a path of system32 folder, then you are running the inbox AHCI driver.
- Close the Driver Details window and go to the Details tab.
- From the drop-down menu, select Device Instance Path.
- Make note of the path, starting from VEN_.
- Press Windows + R, type Regedit and ok to open windows registry editor,
- Backup registry database then navigate the following path
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\ <AHCI Controller>\<RandomNumber>\Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties
The <AHCI Controller> that you note down previously start with VEN_ ).
The <Random Number> differs on different machines.
- Double click the MSISupported key and change the value to 0.
- Restart your computer after the change, then check your computer’s disk usage:
Did these solutions help to Fix the 100% Disk Usage Problem in Windows 10? Let us know on the comments below, also read:
- Print jobs stay in queue after printing windows 10 (clear the print queue)
- Solved: DNS Server not responding error on Windows 10
- Disable Touchpad When External Mouse Is Connected
- AMD Radeon Software has stopped working windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- local area connection doesn’t have a valid IP configuration windows 10
- Solved: Bluetooth device not connecting in windows 10, 8.1 and 7