Windows 10 19H1 Build 18290 released with Start menu improvements
A new Windows 10 19H1 build 18290 is available for Insiders in the Fast Ring and for Skip Ahead. According to the Windows Insider blog, the latest Windows 10 Build 18290 bring Fluent design updates for the start menu, Improved Cortana experience, Option to manual clock synchronization, microphone notification area refinements and more.
Starting with the latest 19H1 preview build, Windows 10 Start menu get a touch of Fluent design that making it look more attractive. Also, there is new power icons in the Start menu and the icons that appear on the lock screen have now been revised.
“Following up on our jump list improvements with Build 18282, when you update to today’s build you’ll notice we’ve polished up the power and user menus in Start as well – including adding icons for easier identification,”
Manual Date & Time Sync
Microsoft also brings the manual time synchronization back into the settings that is handy when the clock is out of sync or the time service isn’t available or was disabled. To manually sync the Date and Time You need to open settings -> time and language -> click on sync now. Also, the Date & Time Setting page Automatically display the time of the last successful sync and the address of the current time server.
Which Apps using microphone displayed in the tray
The latest Windows 10 preview build 18290, introduces a new system tray icon that shows what apps are using the microphone. And Double-clicking that icon will open Microphone Privacy Settings.
“In Build 18252 we introduced a new mic icon that would appear in the notification area letting you know when an app was accessing your microphone. Today we’re updating it so if you hover over the icon, it will now show you which app. Double clicking the icon will open Microphone Privacy Settings,”
Improvements on Search and Cortana experiences
When you start a search now, you’ll notice we’ve updated the landing page – giving recent activities a bit more room to breathe, adding light theme support, a touch of acrylic and including all the search filter options as pivots from the get go.
Windows Update will also display an icon in the system tray to let you know when a reboot is required to complete the installation of new updates, and With version 11001.20106 the Mail & Calendar application officially receives support for Microsoft To-Do.
Also, There are several known issues and other general improvements in this build that includes
- Fixed an issue resulting in PDFs opened in Microsoft Edge not displaying correctly (small, instead of using the entire space).
- Fixed an issue resulting in mouse wheel scrolling in many UWP apps and XAML surfaces being unexpectedly fast in recent builds.
- Made some updates to the taskbar to reduce the number of times you may see the icons redraw. Most noticeably when interacting with the recycle bin, although in other scenarios as well.
- Antivirus apps must run as a protected process to register with Windows and appear in the Windows Security app. If an AV app does not register, Windows Defender Antivirus will remain enabled.
- Fixed an issue resulting in the System unexpectedly consuming a high amount of CPU for prolonged periods of time when enumerating Bluetooth devices.
- Fixed an issue resulting in Cortana.Signals.dll crashing in the background.
- Fixed an issue that caused Remote Desktop to show a black screen for some users. This same issue could also cause freezes over Remote Desktop when using VPN.
- Fixed an issue resulting in mapped network drivers potentially displayed as Unavailable when using the net use command, and displaying a red X in File Explorer.
- Improved compatibility of Narrator with Chrome.
- Improved performance of Magnifier centered mouse mode.
- Fixed an issue where the Pinyin IME would always show English mode in the taskbar, even when typing in Chinese in the previous flight.
- Fixed an issue resulting in languages showing an unexpected “Unavailable input method” in their list of keyboards in Settings if you added the language via Language Settings in recent flights.
- The Japanese Microsoft IME introduced with Build 18272 will be returning to the one that shipped with the October 2018 Update.
- Added support for LEDBAT in uploads to Delivery Optimization peers on the same LAN (behind the same NAT). Currently LEDBAT is only used by Delivery Optimization in uploads to Group or Internet peers. This feature should prevent congestion on the local network and allow peer-to-peer upload traffic to back off instantly when the network is utilized for higher priority traffic.
Known issues in this build are:
- The hyperlink colors need to be refined in Dark Mode in Sticky Notes if the Insights are enabled.
- The settings page will crash after changing the account password or PIN, Microsoft recommends using the CTRL + ALT + DEL method to change the password
- Due to a merge conflict, the settings for enabling/disabling Dynamic Lock are missing from Sign-in Settings. Microsoft has a fix, which will flight soon.
- Settings crashes when clicking on the “View storage usage on other drives” option under System > Storage.
- The Windows Security app may show an unknown status for the Virus & threat protection area, or not refresh properly. This may occur after upgrade, restart, or settings changes.
- Delete the previous version of Windows in Configure Storage Sense is not selectable.
- Settings will crash when opening Speech Settings.
- Insiders may see green screens with error System Service Exception in win32kbase.sys when interacting with certain games and apps. A fix will flight in an upcoming build.
- There’s an update block for this build in place for a small number of PCs that use Nuvoton (NTC) TPM chips with a specific firmware version (126.96.36.199) due to a bug causing issues with Windows Hello face/biometric/pin login not working. The issue is understood and a fix will flight to Insiders soon.
Download Windows 10 build 18290
For user who enrolled their device for fast ring insider program Windows 10 preview build 18290.1000(rs_prerelease) Automatically Download and install via Windows update on. Also Insider users force Windows update from Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows update -> check for updates
As usual, these builds have bugs and are not 100% developed. We recommend that you do not install it on equipment that you use on a day-to-day basis. It is more advisable to try slow ring bugs. Also Read How To Setup And Configure an FTP server on Windows 10 step by step Guide 2018