Microsoft has released a new Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18219 (19H1 Develop Branch) for Devices enrolled in the Skip Ahead Ring. As per company Windows 10 Build 18219 doesn’t come with any new features but has been pushed out with Few Narrator Function improvements (where the reading and navigation has been improved, as well as the selection of text in the scanning mode) and a list of Bug fixes for (Notepad, Task View, Microsoft Edge, and more) reported by Insiders on feedback section.
Note: This build is from the 19H1 branch, which, as its name indicates, will arrive in the first half of next year (2019).
Windows 10 Build 18219 Narrator Improvements
Microsoft has made improvements to Narrator, including to reliability (when changing Narrator’s view), Scan Mode (reading, navigating, and selecting text), QuickStart (relaunching and focusing), and Braille (commanding when using the Narrator key). The “Move to begin of text” keystroke has changed to Narrator + B (was Narrator + Control + B) and the “Move to end of text” keystroke has changed to Narrator + E (was Narrator + Control + E).
Scan Mode: Reading and navigating and selecting text while in Scan Mode has been improved.
QuickStart: When using QuickStart, the Narrator should start reading it automatically.
Providing Feedback: The keystroke to provide feedback has changed. The new keystroke is Narrator + Alt + F.
Move Next, Move Previous, and Change View: When changing Narrator’s view to either characters, words, lines or paragraphs the Read Current Item command will read the text of that specific view type more reliably.
Keyboard command changes: The keystroke to Move to begin of text has changed to Narrator + B (was Narrator + Control + B), Move to end of text has changed to Narrator + E (was Narrator + Control + E).
Bug Fixed on Windows 10 Build 18219
- Fixed an issue resulting in Notepad’s “Search with Bing” feature searching for “10 10” instead of “10 + 10” if that was the search query and an issue where accented characters would end up as question marks in the resulting search.
- Fixed an issue where Ctrl + 0 to reset the zoom level in Notepad wouldn’t work if the 0 was typed from a keypad.
- Fixed an issue resulting minimized apps having squished thumbnails in Task View.
- Fixed an issue resulting in the tops of apps in tablet mode being clipped (i.e. missing pixels).
- Fixed an issue where the taskbar would stay on top of full-screened apps if you had previously hovered over any grouped taskbar icon to bring up the extended list of previews, but then clicked elsewhere to dismiss it.
- Fixed an issue where the icons in the Microsoft Edge extension pane were drawing unexpectedly close to the toggles.
- Fixed an issue where Find on Page in Microsoft Edge would stop working for open PDFs once the PDF had been refreshed.
- Fixed an issue where Ctrl-based keyboard shortcuts (like Ctrl + C, Ctrl + A) didn’t work in editable fields for PDFs opened in Microsoft Edge.
- Fixed the issue where if the Narrator key is set to just Insert, sending a Narrator command from a braille display should now function as designed regardless if the Caps Lock key is a part of the Narrator key mapping.
- Fixed the issue in Narrator’s automatic dialog reading where the title of the dialog is being spoken more than once.
- Fixed the issue where Narrator won’t read combo boxes until Alt + down arrow is pressed.
Whats still broke on Windows 10 Build 18219
Along with these bug fixes Todays build has 11 known issues:
- If you encounter hangs running WSL in 18219, a system reboot will correct the issue. If you’re an active user of WSL you may want to pause flighting and skip this build.
- There are some improvements in this build but the dark theme File Explorer payload mentioned here is not there yet. You may see some unexpectedly light colors in these surfaces when in dark mode and/or dark on dark text.
- When you upgrade to this build you’ll find that the taskbar flyouts (network, volume, etc) no longer have an acrylic background.
- When you use the Ease of Access Make Text bigger setting, you might see text clipping issues, or find that text is not increasing in size everywhere.
- When you set up Microsoft Edge as your kiosk app and configure the start/new tab page URL from assigned access Settings, Microsoft Edge may not get launched with the configured URL. The fix for this issue should be included in the next flight.
- You may see the notification count icon overlapping with the extension icon in the Microsoft Edge toolbar when an extension has unread notifications.
- On Windows 10 in S Mode, launching Office in the Store may fail to launch with an error about a .dll not being designed to run on Windows. The error message is that a .dll “is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again…” Some people have been able to work around this by uninstalling and reinstalling Office from the Store.
- When using Narrator Scan mode you may experience multiple stops for a single control. An example of this is if you have an image that is also a link.
- When using Narrator Scan mode Shift + Selection commands in Edge, the text does not get selected properly.
- A potential increase in Start reliability and performance issues in this build.
- If you install any of the recent builds from the Fast ring and switch to the Slow ring – optional content such as enabling developer mode will fail. You will have to remain in the Fast ring to add/install/enable optional content. This is because optional content will only install on builds approved for specific rings.
A complete list of the changes, improvements, fixes, and known issues for build 18219 can be found Microsoft insider blog post here.
Download Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18219
Windows 10 Build 18219 is only available to Insiders in the Skip Ahead Ring. And Compatible Devices connected to Microsoft server automatically download and install the 19H1 preview build 18219. But you can always force the update from Settings > Update & security > Windows Update and click the Check for updates button.
Note: Windows 10 19H1 Build is only available for users who joined/Part of part of the Skip Ahead Ring. Or you can check how to join skip ahead ring and enjoy windows 10 19H1 features.
As always recommended, don’t install this build on your production machine. Where this is a testing build contains various bugs, issues (Of course new features) which may cause effect your daily work.