Solved: Windows 10 game bar not working (opening) in full screen
As we know Windows 10 introduces a Game Bar feature (launched by pressing win+G hotkeys together) which allows users to capture screenshots or record any game you are playing on your PC or Xbox. But sometimes users report Windows 10 game bar didn’t appear on screen while tried WIN+G keys. Using Win key +G or my Ctrl + Shift + G doesn’t open the game bar. some others report windows 10 game mode not showing up or record when using either the Windows key + G or Windows key + Alt + R.
Fix Windows 10 game mode not showing up
If you also suffering from this problem here some solutions you may apply to fix Game Bar not opening, not working for some games, you are getting error messages or some keyboard shortcuts are not working in Game Barr.
Note: if you are running a game in full-screen, the Game Bar won’t show. For full-screen games, you can use the WIN+ALT+R hotkey to start and stop recordings. Your computer screen will flash when the recording starts and completes. If the keyboard shortcut doesn’t not work for you, press WIN+G hotkey and you’ll see the screen flash twice confirming that the game is recognized by Game Bar. After this, you can use the WIN+ALT+R hotkey to record the game.
Check Game Bar is Enabled in Settings
First of all open settings and check the windows 10 Game mode and Gambar both are enabled. To check and Enable them
- Press Windows + I to open windows settings.
- click on Gaming icon in the Settings app, to open Game Bar section
- Here check and make sure Now make sure that the “Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar” option is set to ON.
- If it’s not enabled, click on the toggle button and set it to ON.
- Also checkmark on “Open Game bar using this button on a controller” so that you can open and control game bar using keyboard shortcuts.
- Now try to launch Game Bar using WIN+G hotkey and it should open without any problem.
Also move to Game DVR and make sure Record game clips and screenshots using Game bar is On.
Install latest windows media feature pack
A number of users marked install “Media Feature Pack” as a helpful solution to fix Windows 10 Xbox Game bar is not working problem.
- Open this Windows Media Feature Pack page.
- Scroll down and click Download the Media Feature Pack update package now to save the installer.
- Open the folder you saved the Windows Media Feature Pack to and run through its installer to add it to Windows.
- After that restart windows, on next login open settings and check there is an option available “Gaming”
Reset the Xbox app
Still Xbox Game bar is not working, then You can also try to reset Xbox app settings to default which should fix all Game Bar related problems.
- Open Settings app from Start Menu or using WIN+I hotkey.
- Now click on Apps icon in the Settings app and it’ll open Apps & features section.
Note: Alternatively, You can directly launch this page using “ms-settings:appsfeatures” command in RUN dialog box.
- In right-side pane, scroll down to bottom and click on Xbox app. It’ll show details of Xbox app, click on “Advanced options” link.
- Again scroll down to bottom and under “Reset” section, click on “Reset” button.
- It’ll take a few seconds and Xbox app will be reinstalled and revert to its default settings.
- Now the Game Bar should work fine.
Tweak registry editor for Corrupted Gamebar Settings
This is another effective way to resolve the problem if Game Bar settings might get corrupted in Windows Registry. In such case, you’ll need to fix the settings using Registry Editor.
Press “Windows+R” type regedit and press Enter to open Registry Editor. First backup registry database then navigate to the following key:
Here on middle panel right-click on AppCaptureEnabled DWORD and choose Modify if the DWORD value is 0, set it to 1 and save it.
Note: If you didn’t find AppCaptureEnabled DWORD then right click on GameDVR -> New -> DWORD (32-bit) value name it “AppCaptureEnabled“
The next open the following key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore
Here on middle panel right-click on GameDVR_Enabled DWORD and select Modify. Here, you need to enter 1 in the text box if it’s set to 0. Finally, save and restart Windows PC and check on next login everything working smoothly.
Reinstall XBOX App
If all above solutions unable to fix the problem lets reinstall the XBOX app, which may resolve the issue. To do this Right click on windows 10 start menu and select Powershell (admin) and Execute the following command:
Xbox app: Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage
This should remove the Xbox app from your Windows 10 computer. To get it back, launch the Microsoft Store, search for it, then download and install.
Did these solutions help to fix windows 10 game mode not showing up, Windows 10 game bar not working? Let us know which option worked for you, also read Features removed and deprecated Windows 10 version 1809!.