Today Microsoft rolled out Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20161.1000 for Dev Channel (formerly known as Fast Ring). The latest Windows 10 Build 20161, includes a number of notable features and improvements to the Start Menu and notifications, easier tab switching in Microsoft Edge, some bug fixes, and more. Let’s take a look at what’s new Windows 10 Build 20161.1000.
If you are part of Windows Insider in the Fast ring, you can update to the Insider Preview Build 20161 from windows settings, update & security check for updates button. Once done you need to restart your PC to apply them. After the installation of the update, the build number will change to 20161.1000.
If you are looking for Download Windows 10 build 20161 ISO click here.
Download latest windows 10 version 21H1 ISO
What’s new on Windows 10 Build 20161?
Streamlined Start menu design
The latest Windows 10 preview build 20161, introduces a streamlined Start menu design, removes the solid color backplates behind the logos in the apps list. And the Start menu tiles are now theme-aware which is a further step away from the design language initially introduced in Windows 8. The design ships with Fluent Design icons for Office and Microsoft Edge including redesigned icons for the integrated apps such as Mail, Calculator, and Calendar.
“This refined Start design looks great in both dark and light theme, but if you’re looking for a splash of color, first make sure to turn on Windows dark theme and then toggle “Show accent color on the following surfaces” for “Start, taskbar, and action center” under Settings > Personalization > Color to elegantly apply your accent color to the Start frame and tiles,” Microsoft explained
Edge tabs will now be accessible with alt+tab
With Windows 10 build 20161 installed, using ALT + TAB on the keyboard will display all tabs that are open in Microsoft’s browser, not just the active one in each browser window. But If you prefer fewer tabs or the classic Alt + TAB experience then there is setting (under Settings > System > Multitasking) to configure Alt + Tab to only show your last three or five tabs or completely turn off this feature.
Personalized Taskbar for New Users
Microsoft testing a flexible, cloud-driven infrastructure for the taskbar, where Windows 10 will automatically keep track of individual default properties including monitoring of diagnostic data. Here make note the personalized Taskbar feature is only applicable to new users only. here an example:
The latest build improves the notifications experience in Windows 10, where users can select the X on the top right corner to quickly dismiss notifications. And also Microsoft is now turning off the Focus Assist notification and summary toast by default. Also, you can now easily copy the device information including the ability to streamline the security information.
Following problems are solved:
- Bug checks when connecting and interacting with an Xbox controller.
- Some games and applications crash at launch or fail to install.
- Microsoft Edge not navigating to websites when WDAG enabled
- Reset this PC to always show the error “There was a problem resetting this PC” when launched from Settings in the last few builds.
- some Bluetooth devices no longer showing their battery level in Settings
- Settings app crashes when nevigate Settings > Privacy > Microphone while a win32 app was recording audio.
- Sound Settings showed “no input devices found” or crashes.
- While adding a printer, the dialog might crash if you navigated through to the “Add a printer driver”
- Fixed a bug that was increasing log off time in recent builds
The following problems still need to be fixed.
- Some insiders may experience, system crash with HYPERVISOR_ERROR bug check
- Update process hang or stuck while Installing latest preview builds
- Notepad might fail to reopen files that were automatically saved during a PC restart
- Also, the company noted: the new Alt+Tab experience mentioned above, please note that the setting under Settings > System > Multitasking to set Alt+Tab to “Open windows only” currently doesn’t work.
Microsoft is listing the complete set of improvements, fixes, and known issues for Windows 10 Insider Preview build 20161 at the Windows Blog.
As is normal with builds early in the development cycle, builds may contain bugs that might be painful for some. We recommend not to install preview builds on the production machine. If you love early access windows 10 upcoming features we recommend install preview builds on Virtual machine.
- Find out the MAC address of your Windows 10 Laptop
- Solved: Windows 10 critical error your start menu isn’t working
- How to Fix DPC Watchdog Violation Error In Windows 10 1909
- How to Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows 10 version 1909