Microsoft has started the Rollout process of Windows 10 Update version 22H2 for everyone for free. It means every compatible device installed with Windows 10 latest version will receive Windows 10 version 22H2 via Windows update. It’s a small enablement package that downloads and installs quickly like regular Windows updates. And the overall Upgrade process is easier But for a few users, the Windows 10 22H2 update failed to install for Unknown Reasons. Users report Feature update to Windows 10 version 22H2 – error 0x80070020, Some Other Windows 10 update is stuck downloading for hours.
Most of the time Windows Update fails to install due to a corrupt Windows Update cache, outdated and incompatible driver software, and installed programs (Such as anti-virus programs, or malware) interfering with the Windows Update process. Also, it could be due to missing, corrupted files in the system etc. Whatever the reason here are some solutions you may apply to upgrade and install Windows 10 version 22H2 smoothly without any errors.
Windows 10 update error 0x80070020
- First of all, make sure you have enough disk space to download the updates (minimum 20 GB Free Disk Space) Or you can run the Disk Cleanup tool to free up C: ( system installed )Drive.
- Next, make sure you have a Good and stable internet connection to download the latest Windows update files from the Microsoft server.
- Press Windows + R, type appwiz.cpl and ok to open the programs & features window. Here uninstall security software (antivirus) if installed on your system.
- Start Windows into clean boot state and check for updates, Which may fix the problem if any third-party application or service causes the Windows update stuck.
- Open Settings -> Time & Language -> Select Region & Language from the options on the left. Here Verify your Country/Region is correct from the drop-down list.
- Restart the Windows Update Services: Open the Service Manager and ensure that they are Started and their Startup type is as follows:
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service: Manual
- Cryptographic Service: Automatic
- Windows Update Service: Manual (Triggered)
Run Windows update Troubleshooter
Run the Windows update troubleshooter and let Windows detect and fix the problems to prevent the Windows 10 22H2 update to install.
- Press Windows + I to open the settings app,
- Click on Update & security then Troubleshoot,
- Then select Windows update and Run The Troubleshooter.
The Windows update troubleshooter will run and attempt to identify if any problems exist that prevent your computer from downloading and installing Windows Updates. After complete, the process Restart Windows and again manually Check for Updates.
Reset Windows update components
If the Windows update storage folder (Software distribution folder) Gets corrupted and contains any buggy updates this will cause Windows Update to stuck downloading at any percentage. Or Cause features update to Windows 10 version 22H2 failed to install.
Clearing the folder where all of the update files are stored will force Windows Update to download afresh. Which fixes most of the Windows update problems. Here follow the steps below to reset Windows update components.
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and ok,
- On the services console window rightclick and stop
- windows update, BITS, and Superfetch service.
- Then Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Here delete everything within the folder, but do not delete the folder itself.
- To do so, press CTRL + A to select everything and then press Delete to remove the files.
- Now navigate to C:\Windows\System32 Here rename the cartoot2 folder as cartoot2.bak.
- That’s all Now Restart the services ( windows update, BITs, Superfetch ) that you previously stopped.
- Restart Windows and again check for updates from settings -> update & security -> Windows update.
- Hope this time your system successfully upgraded to Windows 10 version 21H2 without any stuck or update installation error.
Make sure Installed Device Drivers Are Updated
Also, Make Sure All Installed Device Drivers Are Updated and compatible with the current Windows version. Especially Display Driver, Network Adapter, and Audio Sound Driver. An outdated Display driver mostly causes update error 0xc1900101, Network Adapter causes an unstable internet connection which fails to download update files from the Microsoft server. And the outdated Audio driver causes update error 0x8007001f. That’s why we recommend check and update the device driver with the latest version.
Run SFC and DISM command
Also Run the system file checker utility to make sure any corrupted, missing system files not causing the issue. To do this
- Open the command prompt as administrator, type sfc /scannow and hit the enter key.
- This will scan the system for missing corrupted system files if found any the utility Automatically restores them from %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- Wait until 100% complete the process After that restart Windows and check for updates.
Use the Media Creation Tool
If all the above options fail to install the Windows 10 update, Causing different errors then use the official media creation tool to upgrade to Windows 10 version 22H2 without any error or problem.
- Download the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft support website.
- Double-click the file to start the process, and click yes if UAC prompts for permission
- Select the Upgrade this PC now option And follow the on-screen instructions
Using Windows 10 Update Assistant
Also, you can use the Windows 10 Update Assistant to get it now! Once downloaded, you can run it to begin the installation of the Windows 10 version 22H2 update.
- When you click update Now assistant will perform basic checks on your PC hardware and configuration.
- Start the download process after 10 seconds, assuming everything looks good.
- After verifying the download, the assistant will start preparing the update process automatically.
- The assistant will automatically restart your computer after a 30-minute countdown (the actual installation can take up to 90 minutes). Click the “Restart now” button at the bottom right to start it immediately or the “Restart later” link at the bottom left to delay it.
- After your computer restarts (a few times), Windows 10 will go through the final steps to finish installing the update.
Did the solutions mentioned here help you? Or still, have problems with the windows 10 update installation? Share your feedback in the comments below.
- Windows 10 version 22H2 ISO image Available For download, Get it now
- Google Chrome Won’t download files on Windows 11 (Solved)
- 5 ways to fix Windows Can’t Wake Up from Sleep Mode Issue
- Solved: Microsoft Edge not working after the windows 11 update
- Solved: Windows 10 slow startup and shutdown after Windows Update