Solved: Feature update to windows 10 version 20H2 – error 0x80070020
Microsoft has started the Rollout process of Windows 10 October 2020 Update version 20H2 for everyone for free. It means every compatible device installed windows 10 latest version will receive the Windows 10 version 20H2 via windows update. Or you can get downloaded by manually checking for updates from settings -> update & security -> windows update -> check for updates. The overall Upgrade process is easier But for few users, Windows 10 20H2 update failed to install for Unknown Reasons. Users report Feature update to Windows 10 version 20H2 – error 0x80070020, Some Others Windows 10 20H2 update stuck downloading for hours.
Most of the time’s windows update fails to install due to corrupt Windows Update cache, outdated and incompatible driver software, installed programs (Such as anti-virus program, or malware) interfering with the Windows Update process. Also, it could be due to missing, corrupted files in the system etc. Whatever the reason here some solutions you may apply to upgrade install windows 10 version 20H2 smoothly without any errors.
Windows 10 20H2 update error 0x80070020
- First of all, make sure you have enough disk space to download the updates ( minimum 20 GB Free Disk Space ) Or you can run the Disk Cleanup tool to free up C: ( system installed )Drive.
- Next, make sure you have a Good and stable internet connection to download the latest windows update files from the Microsoft server.
- Press Windows + R, type appwiz.cpl and ok to open programs & features window. Here uninstall security software (antivirus) if installed on your system.
- Start windows into clean boot state and check for updates, Which may fix the problem if any third-party application, service causing the windows update stuck.
- Open Settings -> Time & Language -> Select Region & Language from options on left. Here Verify your Country/Region is correct from the drop-down list.
- Restart the Windows Update Services: Open the Service Manager and ensure that they are Started and their Startup type is as follows:
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service: Manual
- Cryptographic Service: Automatic
- Windows Update Service: Manual (Triggered)
Run windows update Troubleshooter
Run the windows update troubleshooter and let windows to detect and fix the problems prevent the windows 10 20H2 update to install.
- Press Windows + I to open the settings app,
- Click on Update & security then Troubleshoot,
- Then select windows update and Run The Troubleshooter.
The windows update troubleshooter will run and attempt to identify if any problems exist which prevent your computer from downloading and installing Windows Updates. After complete, the process Restart windows and again manually Check for Updates.
Reset windows update components
If the windows update storage folder (Software distribution folder) Get corrupted, Contains any buggy updates this will cause Windows Update to stuck downloading at any percentage. Or Cause features update to Windows 10 version 1809 failed to install.
And Clearing the folder where all of the update files are stored will force Windows Update to download afresh. Which fix most of the windows update related problems. Here follow steps below to reset windows update components.
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and ok,
- On services console window right click and stop
- windows update, BITS, and Superfetch service.
- Then Go to
- Here delete everything within the folder, but do not delete the folder itself.
- To do so, press CTRL + A to select everything and then press Delete to remove the files.
- Now navigate to C:\Windows\System32 Here rename the cartoot2 folder as cartoot2.bak.
- That’s all Now Restart the services ( windows update, BITs, Superfetch ) which you previously stopped.
- Restart windows and again check for updates from settings -> update & security -> windows update.
- Hope this time your system successfully upgrade to windows 10 version 20H2 without any stuck or update installation error.
Make sure Installed Device Drivers Are Updated
Also, Make Sure All Installed Device Drivers Are Updated and compatible with the current windows version. Especially Display Driver, Network Adapter, and Audio Sound Driver. Outdated Display driver mostly causes update error 0xc1900101, Network Adapter causes unstable internet connection which fails to download update files from the Microsoft server. And the outdated Audio driver causes update error 0x8007001f. That’s why we recommend check and update device driver with the latest version.
Run SFC and DISM command
Also Run the system file checker utility to make sure any corrupted, missing system files not causing the issue. To do this open the command prompt as administrator, type sfc /scannow and hit the enter key. This will scan the system for missing corrupted system files if found any the utility Automatically restore them from %WinDir%\System32\dllcache. Wait until 100% complete the process After that restart windows and check for updates.
Use the Media Creation Tool
If all the above options failed to install the windows 10 October 2020 update, Causing different error then use the official media creation tool to upgrade windows 10 October 2020 update version 20H2 without any error or problem.
- Download the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft support website.
- Double-click the file to start the process.
- Follow on-screen instructions.
- Select Upgrade this PC now option.
- And follow on-screen instructions
Using Windows 10 Update Assistant
Also, you can use the Windows 10 Update Assistant to get it now! Once downloaded, you can run it to begin the installation of the windows 10 version 20H2 update.
- When you click update now assistant will perform basic checks on your PC hardware and configuration.
- And start the download process after 10 seconds, assuming everything looks good.
- After verifying the download, the assistant will start preparing the update process automatically.
- The assistant will automatically restart your computer after a 30-minute countdown (the actual installation can take up to 90 minutes). Click the “Restart now” button at the bottom right to start it immediately or the “Restart later” link at the bottom left to delay it.
- After your computer restarts (a few times), Windows 10 will go through the final steps to finish installing the update.
Did the solutions mention here help you? Or still, have problems with the windows 10 October 2020 update installation? Share your feedback on comments. Also, Read
- Things to do Before installing Windows 10 October 2020 update version 20H2
- Download Windows 10 Version 20H2 ISO, Direct from Microsoft server
- iTunes Not Working on Windows 10? Here 5 Different iTunes problems and solutions
- How To Fix 100% Disk Usage on Windows 10 version 20H2