Microsoft Recently released Windows 10 build 17134.523 with KB4480966 Update for users running Windows 10 April 2018 update to fix bugs. But it appears to be causing headaches for users. Several users complain KB4480966 for Windows 10 version 1803 broked some PCs. Some others 2018-09 Cumulative update for windows 10 version 1803 for x64 based system (KB4480966) failed to install with different errors 0x800f0922, 0x8000ffff, 0x800f0826 and more. Also, several users mentioned on Microsoft forum as KB4480966 update downloaded but stuck while installing these updates.
And the same situation with devices running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 1709. KB4480978 update for Windows 10 Build 16299.904 stuck installing or Failed to install.
Cumulative update for windows 10 version 1803 for x64 based system failed to install
Several users in Microsoft community forum said that the (KB4480966) fails to install. It is worth noting that only a small number of users are experiencing such issues and Microsoft hasn’t yet acknowledged the installation problems.
How to fix Windows 10 update installation issues
If Windows 10 update KB4480966 stuck during download at 0% or 99% or completely failed to install, it might be that something went wrong with the file itself. Clearing the folder where all of the update files are stored will force Windows Update to download fresh files.
Clear Windows Update Files
To do this Type services.msc on start menu search and hit the enter key. Then look for windows update service, right click on it and select stop. Do the same with its related service BITS ( Background Intelligent Transfer Service )
Go to the following location.
Delete everything in the folder, but do not delete the folder itself. To do so, press CTRL + A to select everything and then press Delete to remove the files. Again open windows services and restart the services ( windows update, BITS ) which you previously stopped.
Run Windows Update troubleshooter
After clear old, buggy update files, Run the windows update troubleshooter from Settings ( Windows + I ) -> Update & security -> select troubleshoot -> windows update and run the Troubleshooter to check and fix if any problem prevents windows update to download and install. After running the troubleshooter Simply restart windows and check for updates from settings -> Update & security -> windows update and check for updates.
Disable Security software & perform a clean boot
Also, Disable Any security software or antivirus protection ( if installed ), search for updates, install the available updates and then turn on your antivirus protection.
Clean booting your computer may also help. If any third party software causing confliction to download & install windows updates. Here’s how to do this:
- Go to the search box > type msconfig
- Select System Configuration > go to Services tab
- Select Hide all Microsoft services > Disable all
Go to Startup tab > Open Task Manager > Disable all the unnecessary services running there. Restart your computer and check for updates, hope this time windows updates download and install without any error.
Install Windows Update manually
This is another way to install windows updates without any error or Stuck downloading. And no need to run the Windows update troubleshooter or Clear update cache. You can resolve the problem manually by installing the latest Windows 10 updates.
- Visit the Windows 10 update history webpage where you can notice the logs of all the previous Windows updates that have been released.
- For the most recently released update, note down the KB number.
- Now use Windows Update Catalog Website to search for the update specified by the KB number you noted down. Download the update depending on if your machine is 32-bit = x86 or 64-bit=x64.
- (As of 9 January 2019 – KB4480116 (OS Build 17763.253) is the latest patch for Windows 10 version 1809, KB4480966 (OS Build 17134.523) for Windows 10 April 2018 Update, and KB4480978 (OS Build 16299.904) is the latest patch for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update).
- You can get offline download links for these updates from here
- Open the downloaded file in order to install the update.
That’s all after installing the updates simply restart the computer to apply the changes. Also If you are getting windows update stuck while upgrade process simply use official media creation tool to upgrade windows 10 version 1803 without any error or problem.
Did any of these solutions help you fix the problem? Let us know in the comments below. Also Read: