Windows 10 KB5016616, the latest Patch Tuesday update fails to install on PCs running November 2021 update? You are not alone, a number of windows 10 users reported on Microsoft’s community forum that they’re currently unable to install this patch and seeing error codes such as 0x80073701 and 0x8009001d.
Updates Failed, There were problems installing some updates, but we’ll try again later” or “Error 0x80073701″ on the Windows Update dialog or within Update history,”
If you’ve been encountering issues during the installation of the Windows 10 cumulative updates, “Windows installation has failed” or stuck installing here we have prepared a list of possible solutions that can help fix the problem.
Windows 10 updates won’t install
Let’s start with basic, check and make sure you have a working internet connection to download windows update files from the Microsoft server.
Tip: You can run the ping command ping google.com -t to check your internet connectivity.
Sometimes windows updates may fail or the system can’t apply the latest updates due to the interference of third-party antivirus software. Let’s temporarily disable your antivirus and also disconnect from VPN (if configured on your system) and check if the problem persists.
Once restart your PC/Windows 10 and check for windows updates again, that probably fixes the problem if a temporary glitch causes the issue.
Windows update troubleshooter
Windows 10 comes with a handy Windows Update Troubleshooter that can help automatically troubleshoot and fix issues with your Windows Update. Run the windows update troubleshooter, and let windows detect and fix the problems to prevent windows update installation.
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings,
- Click on update and security then Troubleshoot,
- Click the link “Additional troubleshooters”
- Select Windows update, then click Run the troubleshooter.
This will start to diagnose, and check the problem that prevents windows update installation. Also, the troubleshooter lets you know whether it could identify and fix the problem. Once done, restart your PC and check again for windows updates.
Reset windows update components
Again sometimes Windows 10 Update may fail to install or stuck download on your PC because its components are corrupted. These windows update components include the services and temporary files and folders associated with Windows Update. And most of the time reset windows update components resolve the number of issues/errors with windows updates.
To do this first we need to stop the windows update service:
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok,
- Scroll down and locate the windows update service, right-click on it and select stop.
Let’s clear temporary files and folders associated with Windows Update.
- Open file explorer using windows key + E,
- Navigate C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Delete all files and folders inside the download folder, to do this use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + A to select all the hit the delete key.
Note: Don’t worry about these files, windows update download fresh ones when next time check for updates.
Now again open the windows service console using services.msc and start the windows update service.
Run DISM command
It’s also possible that your Windows Update can’t work because of the corrupted files on your operating system. here the trick may help you fix the problem.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Type command dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup and press enterkey,
- Wait a few minutes and let the scanning process complete and restart windows.
- Now check for updates again.
Switch Google DNS
If windows update fails with different error codes switching public DNS or Google DNS probably helps fix the problem.
- Press Windows + R type ncpa.cpl and click ok,
- Right-click on active network adapter select properties,
- Select Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) then click properties,
- Here select the radio button “use the following DNS server addresses” and set preferred DNS server: 18.104.22.168 and Alternate DNS server: 22.214.171.124
- Checkmark on Validate Settings upon exit, click ok and apply
- Now again check for updates.
Manually install windows update
Still, Windows Update can’t help you download certain system updates? Try doing so on your own. Microsoft has put all its system updates online, and you can download these updates and install them on your computer without the help of Windows Update.
- On a web browser visit Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Search for the update using its Knowledge Base reference number (KB number). For example, KB5016616.
- Click the Download button for the version of Windows 10 you are using.
- You can find your system configuration under ‘System type’ on Settings > System > About page.
- A pop-up window will appear after the download button is triggered.
- Click on the .msu file to download it.
Finally double-click a .msu file to manually install the update manually and a system reboot is required to finish the installation.
If you are having a problem upgrading windows 10 version 21H1 or the windows 10 feature update fails to install then you can perform an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 version 21H1 with Media Creation Tool or Update Assistant tool.