Solved: Windows 10 Update KB4586786 fails to install on some PCs
Windows 10 update KB4586786 stuck download at 0% or 99% or windows update completely failed to install, Here solutions help to fix this
Microsoft recently released KB4586786 Update (OS build 18363.1198) for Windows 10 November 2019 update with various security improvements and bug fixes, but it appears to be causing headaches for few users. KB4586786 for Windows 10 version 1909 broked some PCs, and it appears that the Cumulative Update KB4586786 for November Update version 1909 also fails to install.
Cumulative update for windows 10 version 1909 for x64 based system failed to install
Several users in the Microsoft community forum said that the KB4586786 fails to install. It is worth noting that only a small number of users are experiencing such issues and Microsoft hasn’t yet acknowledged the installation problems.
Windows 10 update failed to install
If Windows 10 update KB4586786 or KB4586781 stuck during download at 0% or 99% or completely failed to install, it might be that something went wrong with the file itself. Clearing the folder where all of the update files are stored will force Windows Update to download fresh files.
- Before this check and make sure you have a working internet connection to download windows update files from the Microsoft server.
- Disable antivirus protection and disconnect from VPN (If configured on your PC)
- Again make sure the Windows installation drive (C: drive) has sufficient space to download and store update files before applying them on your PC.
Clear Windows Update Files
- Type services.msc on start menu search and hit the enter key.
- This will open the Windows services console,
- Here scroll down and locate windows update service,
- Right-click on Windows update service and select stop.
- Do the same with its related service BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service)
- Now open Windows Explorer using the keyboard shortcut Windows + E,
- Go to the following location.
- Delete everything in the folder, but do not delete the folder itself.
- To do so, press CTRL + A to select everything and then press Delete to remove the files.
- Again open windows services and restart the services (windows update, BITS) which you previously stopped.
Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Now Run the build in windows update troubleshooter, which automatically check and fixes the problems prevent windows update download and install.
- Open the Settings app using Windows + I keyboard shortcut,
- Click on Update & security then select troubleshoot
- On the right-hand side select windows update click on run the Troubleshooter
- This will start to diagnose and fix if any problem prevents windows update to download and install.
After running the troubleshooter Simply restart windows and check for updates from settings -> Update & security -> windows update and check for updates.
Disable Security software & perform a clean boot
Also, Disable Any security software or antivirus protection ( if installed ), search for updates, install the available updates and then turn on your antivirus protection.
Clean booting your computer may also help. If any third party software causing conflict to download & install windows updates. Here’s how to do this:
- Go to the search box > type msconfig
- Select System Configuration > go to Services tab
- Select Hide all Microsoft services > Disable all
Go to Startup tab > Open Task Manager > Disable all the unnecessary services running there. Restart your computer and check for updates, hope this time windows updates download and install without any error.
Run system file checker
Also, corrupted system files cause different problems to include Windows updates to stuck downloading or failure to install. Run system file checker that automatically detect and restore missing system files with the correct one.
- Click the Search button on the bottom left, and type command prompt.
- When you see the Command Prompt program listed, Right-click it, then click Run as administrator. …
- When the command prompt box comes up type the following then click Enter: sfc /scannow
- This will start scanning for corrupted missing system files if found any the SFC utility automatically restore them with the correct one from a compressed folder located %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- Once 100% completes the scanning process restart your PC and again check for windows updates.
Manually install Windows updates
Also, you can manually download and install these updates from the Microsoft catalog blog to do this first note down the latest KB number.
Now use the Windows Update Catalog Website to search for the update specified by the KB number you noted down. Download the update depending on if your machine is 32-bit = x86 or 64-bit=x64.
(As of 18 November 2020 – KB4586786 is the latest patch for Windows 10 November 2019 Update & May 2019 update. And KB4586781 is the latest patch for Windows 10 May 2020 Update.
Open the downloaded file in order to install the update.
That’s all after installing the updates simply restart the computer to apply the changes. Also If you are getting windows Update stuck while the upgrade process simply use the official media creation tool to upgrade windows 10 version 1909 without any error or problem.
- How To Disable Windows 10 Automatic Updates Installation
- Fix windows store app installation error 0x80073cf9
- Solved: Windows 10 Laptop Freezes and Crash after November 2019 update
- Solved: No Audio Output Device is Installed in Windows 10 1909
- iTunes Not Working on Windows 10? Here 5 Different iTunes problems and solutions