Microsoft has released Seventh feature update for Windows 10, aka May 2019 update version 1903 for everyone. The latest feature May update adds a long-awaited light theme to Windows 10, along with changes to the UI, Windows Sandbox and a separated Cortana search blank, among other improvements. You can read windows 10 version 1903 feature list from here. Well, the company has made it free for all compatible devices, that means genuine receive feature update to Windows 10 version 1903 for free. Overall The upgrade process is smoother but sometimes due to compatibility issue or corrupted update cache users may face Windows 10 1903 updated stuck downloading. For some others, Windows 10 may 2019 update failed to install for unknown reasons.
Running Windows update troubleshooter and Reset Windows update components Most probably fix Windows 1903 update problems. If you are also struggling from similar problem, Windows 10 version 1903 stuck downloading or failed to install here apply solutions below to fix the problem. And get the Windows 10 May 2019 update on right way.
Windows 10 Update stuck downloading
First, make sure you have Good Stable Internet connection To Download the Update files from Microsoft Server.
Check Windows update service and its related services (BITS, Superfetch) are on running state.
- Open windows services using services.msc
- Scroll down and look for Windows update service,
- check and start these services ( if not running ).
Temporarily uninstall the antivirus program or any other security program from your system.
Also, incorrect regional settings cause Windows update Failure. Make sure your Regional and language settings are correct. You Can Check And Correct them following below.
- Press Windows + I to open Settings
- Select Time & Language then Select Region & Language
- Here Verify your Country/Region is correct from the drop-down list.
Also, perform a clean boot and check for updates, Which may fix the problem if any third party application, service causing the windows update stuck.
Run windows update troubleshooter
- Press Windows + I keyboard shortcut to open the settings app,
- Click update & security then Troubleshoot,
- on Rigth hand side select Windows update, then click run the troubleshooter,
This will check the system for errors and problems which prevent to install updates this which can take a few minutes to complete and fix them itself. After complete the troubleshooting Restart windows. It should hopefully clear up the problems causing Windows Update to get stuck. Now check for Update to download and install windows update, If still Having windows update stuck at any point fallow next step.
Delete SoftwareDistribution Cache
If you’re still having trouble after running the troubleshooter, performing the same actions manually may help where the troubleshooter didn’t. Deleting windows update cache files is another solution that may just work for you. First, we need to Stop some Windows update related services.
Open Command prompt as Administrator then type below commands one by one and hit enter to execute.
- net stop wuauserv To Stop The Windows Update Service
- net stop bits To Stop Background intelligent transfer service.
- net stop dosvc To Stop the Delivery Optimization Service.
- Now Go to C: > Windows > SoftwareDistribution and Delete all the files inside the folder.
It may ask you for administrator permission. Give it, Don’t worry. There’s nothing vital here. Windows Update will recreate what it needs the next time you run it.
* Note: If you cannot delete the folder (folder in use), then restart your computer in “Safe Mode” and repeat the procedure.
Now Again move to command prompt and restart the stopped services to this type below commands one by one and press enter key.
- net start wuauserv To Start The Windows Update Service
- net start bits To Start Background intelligent transfer service.
- net start dosvc To Start the Delivery Optimization Service.
When the service has restarted, you can close Command Prompt and restart Windows. Give Windows Update another try and see if your problem has been fixed. You will be able to download and install the updates successfully.
Repair Corrupted Windows system files
SFC command is an easy solution to fix some windows related problem. If any missing or damaged system files create the problem System File Checker if very helpful to fix. If due to corrupt missing or damaged system files windows update stuck at installation this system file check can help to fix this error. you can read more about windows SFC Utility here.
On start search Type CMD and Run as administrator when command prompt appears. Here type command SFC /SCANNOW and hit the enter key to execute the command.
This will scan your system for all its important system files, and replace where necessary. Wait until Windows scans and repairs system files. When the System file check and repair is completed, restart your computer and check for windows updates from Settings – > update and security -> check for updates. hope this time updates install without any problem.
Manually Install Windows 10 May 2019 update
Also, Microsoft released Windows 10 upgrade assistant, Media Creation Tool, help you download and install Windows 10 version 1903 updates manually and Deal issues like feature update to Windows 10 version 1903 failed to install, Stuck downloading etc.
To Install Windows 10 May 2019 update using media creation tool follow steps below.
- Download the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft support website.
- Double-click the file to start the process.
- Accept the license agreement
- And be patient while the tool “gets things ready”.
- Once the installer has set up, you will be asked to either Upgrade this PC now or Create installation media for another PC.
- Select Upgrade this PC now option.
- And follow on screen instructions
The Windows 10 Download and installation process could take a while, so please be patient. Eventually, you will get to a screen prompting you for information or to reboot the computer. Just Follow the on-screen instructions and when it’s finished, the windows 10 version 1903 will be installed on your computer.