Solved: Feature update to Windows 10 version 2004 failed to install
Windows 10 version 2004 failed to install for Unknown Reasons or Update stuck downloading for hours? Let's see how to fix windows 10 feature update installation problems
Microsoft has started the Rollout process of Windows 10 version 2004 for everyone for free. It means every compatible device installed windows 10 latest version will receive the Windows 10 May 2020 update notification via windows update. Or you can get downloaded by manually checking for updates from settings -> update & security -> windows update -> check for updates. The overall Upgrade process is easier But for some users, Windows 10 2020 Update failed to install for Unknown Reasons. Or users report feature update to Windows 10 version 2004 failed to install or stuck downloading for hours.
Most of the time’s windows update fails to install due to corrupt Windows Update cache. Again outdated, incompatible driver software, incompatibility of an application installed on your computer or third-party software conflicts also cause Windows update to fails to install. Whatever the reason If you are struggling with the similar problem apply the solution below.
Windows 10 2020 update failed to install
- First of all check and make sure your system meets minimum system requirements for Windows 10 version 2004.
- Next, make sure you have a Good and stable internet connection to download the latest windows update files from the Microsoft server.
- Some users also suggest security software block the upgrade process, Disable Third-party Antivirus and VPN if connected.
- Open Settings -> Time & Language -> Select Region & Language from options on left. Here Verify your Country/Region is correct from the drop-down list.
- Start windows into clean boot state and check for updates, which may fix the problem if any third-party application, service causing the windows update stuck.
- Remove all connected External Devices such as a printer, scanner, audio jack, etc.
If you have an external USB device or SD memory card attached when installing Windows 10, version 2004, you may get an error message stating “This PC can’t be upgraded to Windows 10.” This is caused by inappropriate drive reassignment during installation.
To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a hold on devices with an external USB device or SD memory card attached from being offered Windows 10, version 2004 until this issue is resolved.
Microsoft explained their support page
- Now Open Windows settings using Keyboard shortcut Windows + I,
- Click on Update & Security then Windows update,
- hit the check for update button,
- Check if Feature update to Windows 10 version 2004 is available
- Click the download button and let windows update to download it from the Microsoft server.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
If following the above solutions didn’t fix the problem, Still Windows 10 2020 update failed to install with different errors. Run the official Windows update troubleshooter, that probably detects and fixes the problems prevent windows 10 version 2004 to install.
- Open Settings app using the keyboard shortcut Windows + I,
- Click on Update & security then troubleshooting
- Then select windows update and Run The Troubleshooter.
- The windows update troubleshooter will run and attempt to identify if any problems exist which prevent your computer from downloading and installing Windows 10 feature update.
- During the diagnose process this will restart Windows update service and check its related services running, check update database for corruption and try to automatically fix them.
- After complete, the process Restart windows and again manually Check for Updates.
Reset windows update components
If the windows update storage folder (Software distribution folder) Get corrupted, Contains any buggy updates this will cause Windows Update to stuck downloading at any percentage. Or Cause features update to Windows 10 version 2004 failed to install.
And Clearing the folder where all of the update files are stored will force Windows Update to download afresh. Which fix most of the windows update related problems. To do this
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and ok to open windows services console,
- Scroll down and look for Windows update service,
- Right click on windows update service select stop,
- Do the same process with BITs and sysmain service,
- And minimize the Windows update console screen.
- Now open Windows file explorer using keyboard shortcut Windows + E,
- Go to
- Delete everything within the folder, but do not delete the folder itself.
- To do so, press CTRL + A to select everything and then press Delete to remove the files.
- Now navigate to C:\Windows\System32
- Here rename the cartoot2 folder as cartoot2.bak.
- That’s all Now Restart the services (windows update, BITs, Superfetch) which you previously stopped.
- Restart windows and again check for updates from settings -> update & security -> windows update.
- I hope this time your system successfully upgrade to windows 10 version 2004 without any stuck or update installation error.
Make sure Installed Device Drivers Are Updated
Also, Make Sure All Installed Device Drivers Are Updated and compatible with the current windows version. Especially Display Driver, Network Adapter, and Audio Sound Driver. Outdated Display driver mostly causes update error 0xc1900101, Network Adapter causes unstable internet connection which fails to download update files from the Microsoft server. And the outdated Audio driver causes update error 0x8007001f. That’s why we recommend check and update the device drivers with the latest version.
Run SFC and DISM command
Also Run the DISM restore health command to service and prepare Windows images, including those used for Windows PE, Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and Windows Setup. And system file checker utility to restore missing system files with correct one.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Run DISM command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Next, type sfc /scannow and hit the enter key.
- This will scan the system for missing corrupted system files
- if found any the utility Automatically restore them from %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- Wait until 100% complete the process After that restart windows and check for updates.
If all the above options failed to install windows 10 November 2019 Update, Causing different error then use the official media creation tool to upgrade windows 10 version 2004 without any error or problem.
Did the solutions mention here help you? Or still, have problems with the windows 10 May 2020 update installation? Share your feedback on comments.
- How to roll back windows 10 Version 2004 May 2020 update
- iTunes Not Working on Windows 10? Here 5 Different iTunes problems and solutions
- Windows 10 Update stuck downloading updates? Try these solutions
- Solved: Windows 10 Laptop Freezes and Crash Issues
- Download Windows 10 Version 2004 ISO, Direct from Microsoft server