If you are a Windows user, then this guide is going to be very useful for you so read it carefully. Sometimes you may notice when you click on the Windows 10 Shutdown or Restart button, and you find that your Windows 10 will not shut down or it takes a long time especially after recent updates then this post will help you troubleshoot and fix the problem. There is a various reason that can cause Windows 10 laptop won’t shut down or shut down forever. But buggy windows update, Fast startup feature, again corrupted system files and outdated display driver are most common. Well if you are also struggling with similar problems here some effective solutions help to fix if windows 10 shutting down takes forever.
Windows 10 shutting down forever
So, if you are recently facing the issue where your Windows 10 won’t shut down, then you can easily fix this problem.
However, before finding the solution for Windows 10 shut down issue, you have to make sure that your PC is facing the problem. That’s because sometimes your computer is delaying shut down because some update is running in the background. To ensure the level of the problem, you should leave your computer on for at least three hours and if nothing changes in the situation, then you can use any of the below-mentioned solutions to fix this problem quickly.
Force Shut Down Windows 10
Before you spend some time fixing your shut down, you need a short term solution to shut off your system. For the short term solution, you need to force shut down your computer to shut it down for the time being. Force shut down can be processed by following steps –
- Press the power button on your computer or laptop until the computer completely shuts off.
- Next, disconnect all devices include power cable and VGA cable.
- Now press and hold the power button for 30sec
If you are laptop users, then forcefully shutdown the laptop using the power button. Remove the battery, then press and hold the power button for 30 sec.
- Now connect everything and start windows 10 normally.
- Try to shut down in the normal manner, check if there is no more problem with windows 10 shutdown.
Use Latest Windows 10 Operating Software
If you haven’t updated your Windows 10 operating system in a few days, then this could be also the cause of won’t shut down the problem for you. Microsoft sends new updates and common bug fixes to their Windows 10 users after some time so that they can fix common issues for them. So, if you haven’t installed the latest updates offered by Microsoft, then do it immediately. New updates can be installed on your device by using this method –
- Open Settings on your computer from the Start Menu.
- Up next, click on the Update & security option.
- Now, you have to press on the check for updates button which will show you if your computer has any pending updates and if you have any, then just press over the install button.
- Lastly, restart your computer once new updates are installed to check whether your problem has been fixed or not yet.
Disable Fast Startup
You have to check whether fast Startup feature is active on your computer or not. Fast Startup is a hybrid type of startup that ensures that your computer won’t fully shut off even when you want to. The benefit of this feature is that you will be able to switch on your computer quickly. This mode can sometimes create the shutdown problem for you so you need to disable this feature as –
- Open Control Panel on your computer and look for the power option and click on it.
- From the left side pane, you need to press on the option – choose what the power button does.
- On the next command line, you need to press the option with – Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Lastly, you just need to turn off the Startup option and save the changes. After this, you can try to switch off your computer.
Run power troubleshooter
Windows 10 has a built-in power troubleshooter that automatically detects and fixes the problems prevent windows 10 from shutdown and starts normally. Run the troubleshooter following the steps below
- In the Start menu, type troubleshoot.
- From the menu, select Troubleshoot (system settings).
- In the Troubleshoot window, under Find and fix other problems, select Power > Run the troubleshooter.
- Allow the Troubleshooter to run, then select Close.
Repair Windows System Files
Sometimes due to a problem with the system files of your operating system, you won’t be able to shut down your device. To fix the problem, you can try to repair your Windows system files very carefully by following these steps –
- Foremost, type cmd in the Start Menu and right-click on the Command Prompt and select the Run as Administrator.
- You have to press on Yes to permit the change.
- Up next, you have to type a command on your computer system – SFC /scannow and hit the enter key. Note: make sure you put a space between “sfc” and “/scannow”.
- This will start scan and detecting corrupted missing system files on your system if fount any the system file checker utility automatically restores them with correct ones.
- Restart windows once 100% completed the scanning process and check if this helps.
Update display driver
Again Incompatible outdated display driver also causes the problem windows 10 won’t shut down just restarts. Try update or reinstall the display driver with the latest version that may help fix the windows 10 shutting down forever problem.
- Press Windows + R keyboard shortcut, type devmgmt.msc and click on ok
- This will open Device manage and display all installed driver list,
- locate and expend display driver
- Right-click on installed display driver select update driver software,
- Click on Search automatically for updated driver software and follow on-screen instructions to download the latest updated display driver software from windows update.
- Restart windows to apply the changes and check if this helps.
Also, you can try to reinstall the display driver following the steps below.
First of all, download the latest driver software from the device manufacturers website and save it on the local drive
- Again open device manager using devmgmt.msc
- expend display adapter, Right-click on installed display driver and this time select uninstall driver,
- Click yes when ask for confirmation, and restart windows to completely uninstall that driver
- On next start install the latest driver you have downloaded from the manufacturer site
- Now check if this helps.
Turn off Intel management engine interface to power save
Here another solution work for most users.
- Go to your Device Manager. you can do this by right click on the windows 10 start menu and select device manager.
- Scroll down and expand the option named “System Devices”.
- Find the hardware named “Intel(R) Management Engine Interface”.
- Right-click on it, and click “Properties”.
- Go the tab named “Power Option”.
- Finally, uncheck the option that allows the computer to save power.
- Click on OK, and try to shut down your PC as normal.
Close Computer Using Command Prompt
If you are not able to switch off your computer system even after trying all the different methods as we have already discussed, then you can use the command prompt for that. One of the best features of cmd is that you can do anything with it, you just need the correct commands. To shut down your computer system using the command prompt, you have to use this command line action –
- Launch CMD as administrator as per the same method which has already been followed in solution four.
- Next, you have to type the following command then press enters: shutdown /p and then press Enter.
- After entering this command, you will notice that your computer has now shut down immediately without installing or processing any updates.
You see folks, there’s no need to panic as Windows 10 won’t shut down is a pretty common problem and can be solved in multiple ways. You just need to understand the cause of your problem and try to fix it with some easy steps. However, if none of the above-mentioned solutions work for you, then you can contact your local repair shop.
- Here is the 5 Best Password Managers for Windows 10 in 2019
- Does VPN block the Internet on Windows 10? Here 7 solutions to apply
- 5 ways to fix “Windows Can’t Wake Up from Sleep Mode Issue”
- How to fix network resource not available windows 10
- How To well Optimize Windows 10 Performance For Gaming
- Keep Your Business Safe With These 10 Cyber Security Tips