Windows 11 the latest release from Microsoft bring a number of new features and security enhancements. Also, the company drops regular windows updates with bug fixes and improvements to existing features. But sometimes You may experience windows 11 stuck on restarting screen every time you restart your computer or laptop. A number of users report, reboot loop problem in Windows 11. Buggy windows updates to system files corrupted or outdated display or the fast startup feature is the common reason behind this problem. Again incorrect power configuration on your computer also may cause Laptop stuck on restarting screen. Here in this article, we have a bunch of solutions you can apply to fix the Windows 11 stuck on the restart screen issue.
Windows 11 Stuck on Restarting
This problem may occur due to various reasons, Corrupt system files, Running an outdated driver or Incompatible or malfunctioning apps are common. And this issue could be fixed by uninstalling the recent windows updates or malfunctioning applications, updating device drivers or repair corrupted system files with SFC and DISM tools.
Start windows 11 safe mode
Well If your computer is stuck on the “Restarting” screen, press and hold the Power Button on your PC for 5 – 10 seconds shut down your PC, Now start windows 11 in safe mode with networking and apply the solutions listed below.
In addition, remove all external devices and peripherals connected to your computer and reboot your computer to check if the issue persists or not. Sometimes if, Incompatible or malfunctioning device is connected to your computer that may prevent the OS from loading.
Update windows 11
Microsoft regularly releases windows update with different bug fixes and security enhancements. Check if any pending updates there that need to apply to fix such problems on windows 11.
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings
- Click on windows update then hit the check for updates button,
- If any new or pending updates there allow them to download from the Microsoft server and install on your device,
- Once done you need to reboot your PC to apply the changes.
Run system file checker utility
As discussed before corrupted system files are sometimes the primary reason why windows 11 slow shutdown or restarts. Whenever you notice windows 11 acting slow or taking longer than expected to start or restart run the SFC scan command. System file checker or SFC is a very useful built-in tool that scans malfunctioning system file and try to repair or replace them with correct ones.
Corrupt system files are also known to cause problems with the functioning of the OS.
- Press Windows key + S and type cmd, Now right-click on the command prompt select run as administrator,
- Type sfc /scannow and press enter key on the keyboard to execute the command,
- The utility scan all protected system files on your computer, if found any it will replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- Let the scanning complete 100%, once done reboot your computer and check if this help fix the windows 11 stuck restart problem.
In addition, run DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) restore health command to repair the system image as well.
DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Remove recently installed applications
Certain app conflicts may also impact the functioning of the OS and could as well cause the reboot loop problem in Windows 11
- Press Windows + I to launch the Settings app.
- Navigate Apps then click on Installed apps on the right
- This will display all installed apps and programs list, locate the recently installed app
- Click on the ellipsis next to it and select Uninstall from the list of options.
- Again, click on Uninstall in the confirmational prompt.
Clear pending windows updates
Sometimes you may experience a Windows computer stuck on restarting because it tries to install a problematic update. Let’s clear the windows update cache and force download fresh windows update files from the Microsoft server. That not only helps Fix Windows PC Stuck on Restarting but also fixes most windows update installation problems on windows 11.
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok, the services window opens,
- Scroll down to locate windows update service right click on it select stop,
- Now press the windows key + E and navigate, to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ downloads
- Here Press Ctrl + A to select all files and folders inside the downloads folder and hit Del key,
- Now start the windows update service and reboot your computer, check that probably help fix the windows 11 restart problem.
Disable the Fast startup feature
The Fast Startup feature is designed to reduce the time it takes for the computer to boot up from being fully shut down. And by default, this feature is enabled on your Windows 11 computer for faster boot-up. But sometimes due to bugs or technical glitches, the fast startup feature interferes with the shutdown & restart process, hence the Windows 11 stuck on Restarting problem. Let’s disable the fast startup feature and check if this helps.
- Press Windows key + R, type powercfg.cpl and click ok to open the power options window,
- Click Choose what the power buttons do, then Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- And finally, uncheck the option next to Turn on fast startup (Recommended), click Save changes and close the window.
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Update your device drivers
Another common reason why windows 11 shutdown or restart take time is because of outdated or incompatible display drivers. To get the best performance from your PC, make sure all installed device drivers are updated and have the latest version installed.
Especially you need to update or reinstall the display driver to fix the startup or restart problem on windows 11.
Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc and click ok to open the device manager,
This will display all devices and peripherals connected to your computer, expand them and check if any of them are listed with a yellow exclamation mark, Try to update or reinstall the driver.
- In addition update the Update Essential Device Drivers that include your display driver
- Locate the display adapter section and expand it, right-click on the installed Graphics driver and select update driver,
- At the next window, click the Search automatically for drivers option.
- If Windows finds a newer driver it will download and install automatically on your computer.
In addition, you can visit the device manufacturer site to get the latest driver update download and install on your computer.
Note – Visit the computer or motherboard manufacturer’s support website and download the latest Chipset drivers.
Uninstall recent Windows updates
Well if you notice the problem started recently after the windows update. Then might be the update bug causing the issue, let’s try to uninstall the recent windows updates that probably help.
Problems with the recent Windows update also cause the reboot loop issue in Windows 11
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings from the context menu,
- Navigate windows update then choose Update history
- Select Uninstall updates found under Related settings
- Choose the recently installed update from the list and press the Uninstall tab at the top
- Restart the device the issue should be resolved
Another effective way to solve the problem is to system restore windows 11 and return back to a healthy state where this issue is not occurring because there are numerous potential culprits that you should look into.
- Did Windows 10 Computer Restarts Unexpectedly? Apply these solutions
- Windows 10 Update stuck downloading updates? Try these solutions
- Windows 11 Laptop battery drain issue after shutdown (Solved)
- Microsoft Edge is very slow on Windows 11. 7 tips to speed it up
- Solved: Windows 11 High CPU Usage Problem (7 solutions)