Are you seeing Windows 11 update failed error, or is your windows 11 update stuck downloading? There are several reasons that may prevent windows update download and installation on your device. It could be corrupted system files, slow internet connection or third-party antivirus, and more. Here in this post, you will learn How to fix windows 11 update errors or what to do if the windows update is stuck downloading. So let’s start.
How to fix the windows 11 update error?
Before moving forward first reboot your system, then check for and install the Windows updates on your device. Restart your device refresh the operating system and clear temporary glitches that may present there and cause windows update stuck or fail to install.
You need a stable internet connection to download windows update files from the Microsoft server. That means if your internet connection is not working correctly that windows update could get stuck while downloading. That’s why you should check if your PC has good internet speed. And yes disconnect VPN if configured on your device.
Again to download and install the windows updates on your device you should have enough disk space on the C drive.
- Open file explorer using windows key + E
- Click on This PC and check the available space on your C drive.
- Make sure there is 2 or 3 GB of Free space, if not then you need free up some storage space.
Temporarily disable third-party antivirus if installed on your device. Because sometimes these antivirus or VPNs disrupt the windows update process.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
As the name suggests, running windows update troubleshooter automatically detects and fixes problems that might prevent downloading or install windows updates on your device. This is a built-in tool from Microsoft that is available for free. Infect a number of users suggest windows update troubleshooter helps them fix windows update problems on windows 10.
- Press the Windows key and select the Settings app from there,
- Select Troubleshoot on the System tab in Settings.
- Then click Other-troubleshooters to view Windows 11’s troubleshooting tools.
- Click the Run option for the Windows Update troubleshooter.
This will stat diagnose windows update problems, Wait for the troubleshooter to do its stuff. Once done restart the PC after the troubleshooter is complete. Now open settings then check for updates, this time windows updates download and install without any problem.
Restart Background Intelligent Transfer Services
Background Intelligent Transfer Service or BITS is an important windows tool lets download or transfer files between computers over the internet. Similarly, the windows update service plays an important role on download and install windows updates on your device. So if due to any reason, this service not started or is stuck running you may experience failure windows update install.
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and press enter key,
- The windows service console will open, locate the background intelligent transfer service and double-click on it to open its properties,
- Here change the startup type automatic and start the service next to service status,
- Well if the service already running simply right-click on it and select restart,
- Do the same with the windows update service as well.
Now restart your PC to check if the changes have been made, and whether the windows 11 update Error has been fixed or not.
Clear windows update cache
Still need help, let’s reset the windows update cache and delete already downloaded windows update files. so that windows can download these updates freshly. To do this first we have to stop windows update and its related services.
- Press Windows key + S and type cmd, right-click on command prompt and select run as administrator,
- Now run command net stop wuauserv to stop windows update service,
- Next run command net stop cryptsvc to stop cryptographic service,
- Then stop background intelligent transfer service using command net stop bits
- Now press Windows key + E to open file explorer, and navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download.
- Here Delete all files and folders inside the download folder to do this press Ctrl + A to select all and hit the del key.
- Restart your computer and check for updates again from Settings -> Windows Updates -> click on Check for updates
Download Updates Manually
Sometimes random glitches may prevent downloading or install necessary windows updates. Try downloading and installing the latest update manually.
- To do this navigate to the Microsoft Update Catalog here,
- Search for the KB number of the security update that’s failing to install or stuck download
- Save the update file to your computer, and run it as administrator after it finishes downloading.
Install Windows Update in Clean Boot State
If all the above methods fail to fix the problem, it’s time now to boot in clean boot state check for and install the windows update. When you start your PC in clean boot, it will start windows using a pre-selected minimal set of driver and startup programs. That helps bypass if any driver conflict or startup program prevents installing or applying windows updates on your device.
- Press Windows key + R, type msconfig and press ok to open the system configuration utility,
- Under the General tab, select radio button selective startup and uncheck load startup items. Ensure load system services and use original boot configuration option is checked,
- Now move to the Services tab, select hide all Microsoft services check box then click on disable all,
- Click on apply then ok and restart your computer,
- Now again check for updates, hope this time may your get success without any problems.
Run DISM and SFC scan
Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM.exe) and system file checker (SFC) command-line utility built into Windows operating system help service system image and repair corrupted system files on your PC. If there is a possibility that the computer’s system files have become corrupted, windows 11 updates may fail to install. In that case, an SFC scan can help you repair system crashes and can resolve other Windows errors.
- Open command prompt as administrator,
- First, run command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
- Let DISM scan and service the system image, it may take a few minutes to hour,
- Next, run sfc /scannow command to scan and replace corrupted missing files with the correct ones,
- Once the command is executed 100% restart your PC and try to install windows updates again.
Switch to Google DNS
This is effective one especially if the windows update stuck downloading or fails to download.
- Press Windows key + R, type ncpa.cpl and click ok
- This will open the network connections window, right-click on the active network adapter select properties,
- On WiFi/Ethernet Properties screen, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
On the next screen, select use the following DNS server addresses option and enter 18.104.22.168 as your Preferred DNS Server and 22.214.171.124 as the Alternate DNS server
- Click on OK to save the new DNS Server settings on your computer.
- Restart your computer and you should now check for windows updates again.
So that’s how to solve windows update Errors in Windows 11. Installing and maintaining updates is an important part of keeping the Windows operating system healthy and running. We hope that the methods listed above worked for you and that your system can now re-download the relevant updates.
- Fix Windows update cannot connect to the update service (Windows 10)
- Windows 10 update stuck downloading hours? Here is how to fix it
- How to Take a Screenshot on Windows 11 Laptop (It’s Very Easy)
- Windows 10 Photos App Not Opening/Working after update? Let’s fix it
- Computer screen says input not supported? Here 3 Working solutions