Solved: Windows Modules Installer Worker High CPU or Disk Usage problem Windows 10
If you notice windows modules installer worker causing High CPU or disk usage goes to 100%, thus hanging or freezing all other processes apply solutions listed below
Have you noticed, Windows Modules Installer Worker or TiWorker.exe High CPU & Disk Usage in Windows 10? Laptop running Windows 10 became unresponsive, freezes, Files & folders or Apps won’t open at startup? And Checking on task manager a process called Windows Modules Installer Worker (TiWorker.exe) eating up almost 99 percent of CPU or Disk. Don’t worry let’s understand the Windows Modules Installer Worker, why it’s causing high CPU or disk usage and solutions to fix the problem.
Windows Modules Installer Worker
Windows Modules Installer Worker or TiWorker.exe is a Windows Update Service runs when your computer checks for new updates, as well as downloads and installs those updates into your Windows PC. Also, the TiWorker.exe completes the various tasks that are needed after an update to Windows. Well, once the update process completes it terminates all the resources that are necessary for an update. But sometimes due to technical glitch these resources keep running background which causes high CPU or Disk usage on Windows 10. Again sometimes corrupted system files, virus malware infection or buggy update also cause 100 CPU update problem as well.
Windows modules installer worker High CPU Usage
If you notice windows modules installer worker causing High CPU or disk usage goes to 100%, thus hanging or freezing all other processes. Restarting the system won’t work, and the issue does not resolve by itself, apply the solutions listed below to fix the problem.
First of all, perform a full system scan with the latest updated antivirus/Antimalware application to make sure virus malware infection not causing the issue.
Perform a clean boot that help isolate the problem if any third party service at startup up causing the problem.
Install Pending Updates
Most of the time this problem cause if there any windows update that is pending for install or windows app stuck installing. Lets first check for and install if any windows updates waiting for install and update apps as well.
- Press Windows + I keyboard shortcut to open the settings app,
- Click on Update & security than Windows update
- Hit the check for updates button to allow Windows updates download and install from Microsoft server.
- Once done you need to restart your PC to apply them.
To check and install Microsoft Store apps
- Open Microsoft store
- Click on user account picture
- Then click on Downloads and updates and install the pending download and updates.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
This service is related to Windows update, running the build in windows update troubleshooter diagnose and fix problems related to windows update and help to fix windows modules installer worker high CPU usage as well.
- Search for troubleshoot and select the first result (Troubleshoot settings),
- Locate windows update, select it and click run the troubleshooter,
This will identify if any problems exist which prevent your computer from downloading and installing Windows Updates. clear the Windows Update related temporary files, clear the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder, check the status of Windows Update-related Services, repair and reset Windows Update components.
Once the diagnose process completes, restart your PC and check the CPU usage comes to normal.
Stop Windows update service
Temporarily disable the windows update service and check if this helps reduce the CPU usage by windows modules installer worker (TrustedInstaller).
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok,
- This will open windows services console,
- Scroll down and locate Windows update service,
- Right-click on Windows Update service and select stop,
- Now double click on Windows update service to open its properties and change the startup type disable.
- Click apply and ok to make save the changes
Clear Windows update cache
If nothing helps, clear Windows update cache following steps below, which may help if corrupted buggy update cache causing the problem.
- Again open windows services console using services.msc
- Make sure to stop the windows update service first,
- Now open file explorer using Windows key + E
- Navigate C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Delete all files & folders inside the download folder
- Again open windows service console and start the update service.
Note: don’t worry about update cache files, next time when you check for windows updates this will download a fresh copy from Microsoft server.
Disable Automatic Maintenance
Also, disable automatic maintenance running from the backend that probably frees up system resources and help fix high CPU usage problem as well.
- Open control panel
- Click system and security then Security and Maintenance.
- On the next screen, you will notice few options on the left sidebar, click Change Security and Maintenance settings.
- Then Deselect Automatic Maintenance and lastly, click OK to disable the service.
Check system file corruption
Again if windows system files corrupted or missing you might experience different problems, System freezes or Windows 10 slow performance. Run DISM command and system file checker utility that repairs the system image and restores corrupted system files with correct ones.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- type command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth then press enter key, this will diagnose and repair system image for corruption.
- Once the scanning process 100% completes run system file checker utility command sfc /scannow and hit the enter key.
- This will scan for missing corrupted system files and restore them will correct one from a compressed folder located on %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- And finally, restart your PC to take effect the changes.
Did these solutions help fix windows modules installer worker high CPU windows 10? Let us know on comments below.
- Windows 10 installing the same update over and over? Here how to fix it
- 5 solutions to fix the Netflix app not working on windows 10
- Solved: Printer stopped working after windows 10 update
- Print Spooler Service Not Running or keeps stopping? Let’s fix the problem
- 3 Ways to Completely Wipe a Hard Drive on Windows 10 PC