On 02, October 2018 Microsoft revealed its sixth windows 10 feature update, known as October 2018 update version 1809, But Earlier this week, Microsoft pulled out the Windows 10 Update after many users discovered that it was deleting their files. And investing the issue Microsoft found bug caused file deletion was related to users who had enabled Known Folder Redirection (KFR) feature in Windows 10. This feature redirects folders like desktop, documents, pictures, and screenshots from the default folder location, c:\users\username\<folder name>, to a new folder location. And now finally today (13/11/2018) Microsoft confirmed Windows 10 1809 File deletion issue resolved and Windows 10 October 2018 update is available now! Here Microsoft explains on their support site:
Windows 10, version 1809 Re-Released
On November 13, 2018, we will begin the re-release of the Windows 10 October Update (version 1809), Windows Server 2019, and Windows Server, version 1809. We encourage you to wait until the feature update is offered to your device automatically.
Note for Commercial Customers: November 13 marks the revised start of the servicing timeline for the Semi-Annual Channel (“Targeted”) release for Windows 10, version 1809, Windows Server 2019, and Windows Server, version 1809. Beginning with this release, all future feature updates of Windows 10 Enterprise and Education editions that release around September will have a 30-month servicing timeline.
And the rollout proceeds will begin on next week. Microsoft says the update will arrive automatically via Windows Update. That means all compatible devices, connected to Microsoft server receives the notification to install the update When its available for you. If you don’t want to wait for Microsoft to roll out the update to your PC, you can take the proactive approach of initiating the download yourself. Here how to manually install Windows 10 1809, October 2018 update now.
How To install Windows 10 1809
Back up before Install the Big update: As previously happen for some users, found file deletion after installing the big update. We recommend back up your system in case something goes awry during the installation. And Upload move your important file to an external drive or cloud storage. Windows’ built-in backup service can be found by going to Settings > Update & Security > Backup. You should also create a system restore point Before installing the update. Also, Temporarily disable Any Security software such as Antivirus / Anti-malware application if installed.
Force Windows Update install windows 10 1809
The best way to grab the Windows 10 October 2018 Update is to wait for it to automatically appear in Windows Update. But Always you can force your PC to download the Windows 10 October 2018 Update via windows update.
- Head over to Windows Settings (Windows + I)
- Click on Update & Security,
- Following by windows update and Check for updates.
- Windows 10 version 1809 will start downloading
- Here Depending on your Internet speed and your computer hardware, the download times will vary.
- Once the update is downloaded, you will need to restart your device.
- You can choose to restart it instantly or schedule a later time.
- It will take around 15 to 30 minutes to apply the updates.
- After completing the process this will advance your Windows 10 build number to 17763
If you get the message “Your device is up to date“, then your machine is not scheduled to receive the update straight away. Microsoft is using machine-learning system to determine when PCs are ready to receive the update, as part of the update’s phased rollout, so it may be some time before it arrives on your machine. That cause you can use official Windows 10 Update assistant or Media creation tool to install October update now.
Windows 10 update assistant
If you don’t see Feature update windows 10 version 1809, available while checking via windows update. That cause using Windows 10 Update Assistant is the best way to get the windows 10 1809 now. Otherwise, you will have to wait for Windows Update to Automatically serve the October 2018 Update to you.
Visit the Microsoft Software download page and click the blue Update Now button. This will download the Windows 10 Update Assistant.
Right click on downloaded update assistant.exe and run as administrator. Accept it to make changes to your device and click on the Update Now button on the bottom right.
The assistant will perform basic checks on your hardware If everything ok click next, to start the download process.
It depends your internet speed, to complete the download process and After verifying the download, the assistant will start preparing the update process automatically.
After the update finishes downloading, follow the instructions to restart your PC and complete the installation process. The assistant will automatically restart your computer after a 30-minute countdown. You can click the “Restart now” button in the bottom right to start it immediately or the “Restart later” link in the bottom left to delay it.
Windows 10 will go through the final steps to finish installing the update. Edge should open up with a “Welcome to the October update” message.
Media Creation Tool
Also you can use official Windows 10 media creation to manually upgrade to windows 10 1809, its simple and easy.
- Download the Windows 10 media creation tool from the Microsoft download site.
- After download Right click on MediaCreationTool.exe and select run as administrator.
- Accept the terms and conditions in the Windows 10 Setup window.
- Choose the ‘Upgrade this PC now’ option and hit ‘Next’.
- The tool will now download Windows 10, check for updates and prepare for the upgrade, which may take some time, Depends on your internet speed.
- Once this setup is complete you should see a ‘Ready to install’ message in the window. The ‘Keep personal files and apps’ option should be selected automatically, but if it isn’t, you can click ‘Change what you want to keep’ to make your choice.
- Hit the ‘Install’ button and the process should begin. Make sure you have saved and closed any work you have open before hitting this button. The update should complete after some time. When it’s finished, the windows 10 version 1809 will be installed on your computer.
Download Windows 10 ISO
If you are an experienced user and want to do a clean install, you can use the link below to download a full ISO image of Windows 10 version 1809 then create physical media (USB drive or DVD) for doing a clean install.
Windows 10 1809 Features
As usual Windows 10 feature upgrade brings new features and improvements to refresh the OS, The October 2018 update also introduce a number of new features that include Your phone app that allows View and send text messages from your PC, Dark theme for file explorer, Cloud powered Clipboard and more.
- Your Phone app – The new update brings a new app to Windows 10 called “Your Phone” which allows Android users to sync their devices and receive and send texts, and to view photos. iPhone users can also use it, but there are a lot more restrictions
- Clipboard sync – You will now be able to view your clipboard history on different devices thanks to a new sync feature on your Microsoft Account.
- Dark Theme for Explorer – If Apple can do it, so can Microsoft – Windows 10 is getting a new Dark Theme, users can implement from their Settings.
- New snipping tool (Snip & Search): The latest update enhanced screen capturing to next level, using Snip & search not only you can capture your screen, but also you can edit and share them from the same screen.
- Edge update – Microsoft’s browser is getting some new features, and a big menu redesign, so if you’re an Edge user, you’re going to get a lot of new goodies.
You can read our dedicated post 7 new additions, features on Windows 10 October 2018 update here.