Windows Update KB4586781 fails to install Windows 10 version 20H2 [Solved]
If Windows Update fail to install, is not working, updates will not download or keep failing here how to troubleshoot & fix Windows Updates on Windows 10
Microsoft recently released Windows 10 Build 19042.630 with KB4586781 Update for Devices running Windows 10 October update with various security fixes. But it appears to be causing headaches for users. Several users complain KB4586781 for Windows 10 version 20H2 broked some PCs. Some others 2020-11 Cumulative update for windows 10 version 20H2 for x64 based system (KB4586781) failed to install with different errors 0x800f0922, 0x8000ffff, 0x800f0826 and more. Also, several users mentioned on the Microsoft forum as KB4586781 update downloaded but stuck while installing these updates.
And the same situation with devices running Windows 10 November 2019 Update version 1909. KB4586786 update for Windows 10 Build 18363.1198 stuck installing or Failed to install.
Cumulative update for windows 10 version 20H2 for x64 based system failed to install
Several users in Microsoft community forum said that the (KB4586781) fails to install. It is worth noting that only a small number of users are experiencing such issues and Microsoft hasn’t yet acknowledged the installation problems.
How to fix Windows 10 update installation issues
- Check and make sure you have a working internet connection to download update files from the Microsoft server.
- Disconnect from VPN (if configured on your PC)
- Make Sure that you have enough free disk space before installing the update.
- Remove all external storage media, such as USB drives and SD cards.
If Windows 10 update KB4586781 stuck during download at 0% or 99% or completely failed to install, it might be that something went wrong with the file itself. Clearing the folder where all of the update files are stored will force Windows Update to download fresh files.
Clear Windows Update Files
- Type services.msc on start menu search and hit the enter key.
- This will open the Windows services console, scroll down and locate Windows update service
- Right-click on windows update service, select stop.
- Do the same with its related service BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service)
- Now press Windows + E keyboard short and Go to the following location.
- Here Delete everything inside the download folder, but do not delete the folder itself.
- To do so, press CTRL + A to select everything and then press Delete to remove the files.
- Again open windows services and restart the services (windows update, BITS) which you previously stopped.
Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Now run the build-in windows update troubleshooter that automatically detects and fixes the problems prevent windows update install.
- Open Settings app using Windows + I keyboard shortcut,
- Click on Update & security -then select troubleshoot
- Here on the right-hand side select windows update and run the Troubleshooter
- This will start the diagnose process and fix if any problem prevents windows update to download and install.
- Once the diagnose process completes, Restart your PC
Disable Security software & perform a clean boot
Also, Disable Any security software or antivirus protection (if installed), search for updates, install the available updates and then turn on your antivirus protection.
Clean booting your computer may also help. If any third party software causing conflict to download & install windows updates. Here’s how to do this:
- Go to the search box > type msconfig
- Select System Configuration > go to Services tab
- Select Hide all Microsoft services > Disable all
Go to Startup tab > Open Task Manager > Disable all the unnecessary services running there. Restart your computer and check for updates, hope this time windows updates download and install without any error.
Install Windows Update manually
This is another way to install windows updates without any error or Stuck downloading. And no need to run the Windows update troubleshooter or Clear update cache. You can resolve the problem manually by installing the latest Windows 10 updates.
- Visit the Windows 10 update history webpage where you can notice the logs of all the previous Windows updates that have been released.
- For the most recently released update, note down the KB number.
- Now use the Windows Update Catalog Website to search for the update specified by the KB number you noted down. Download the update depending on if your machine is 32-bit = x86 or 64-bit=x64.
- (As of 18 November 2020 – KB4586781 (Build 19041.630 and Build 19042.630) is the latest patch for Windows 10 version 2004 and 20H2, KB4586786 (Build 18362.1198 and Build 18363.1198) is the latest patch for Windows 10 version 1903 and 1909, and KB4586793 (Build 17763.1577) is for windows 10 version 1809
- You can get offline download links for these updates from here
- Open the downloaded file in order to install the update.
That’s all after installing the updates simply restart the computer to apply the changes. Also If you are getting windows Update stuck while the Upgrade process simply use the official media creation tool to upgrade windows 10 version 1909 without any error or problem.
Did any of these solutions help you fix the problem? Let us know in the comments below. Also Read: