Solved: Operation could not be completed (Error 0x00000709) printer
Getting Operation could not be completed error 0x00000709 / 0x00000005 While Set Default Printer on Windows 10? Here the solution worked for me
Sometimes While trying to set your default printer on windows 10 It Fails with an error “Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709)”. Or some times The Error would be like the Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000005). Access is denied. And Unable To to set your printer as the default one. But still, you would be able to Make print Documents or etc.
This error occurs when there is not sufficient permission in the Windows registry to allow a process related to the printer. So, the Tweaking registry can resolve this Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000005). Access is denied. or Error 0x00000709 issue.
Error 0x00000709 while set default printer
- Press Windows + R on the keyboard, type Regedit and click ok
- This will open Windows registry editor,
- First backup registry database then Navigate to Following path located left side on windows registry Editor.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Windows
- Here Right Click on Windows Folder, Then Choose permissions
- Next Select Administrator and mark full control.
- Also, select your user name and mark full control and save these settings.
Then On the middle pane Delete the following registry values if they exist:
That’s All Now Restart windows to take the changes effectively than on the next login Try to set your default printer again. Hopefully this time it works!
Error 0x00000709 when connecting a Printer
If you are getting this error Operation could not be completed error 0x00000709 while install or connect to a network printer and Windows is unable to install the printer you need to check the print spooler service is running.
Check print spooler service
- Press keyboard shortcut Windows + R type services.msc and click ok
- This will open the windows service console,
- scroll down and locate the print spooler service if it’s running state right-click print spooler service select restart.
- But if the service is not started then right-click print spooler service select properties,
- Here change its startup type automatic and start the service next to service status,
- Click apply and ok to make save changes, now try to connect to the printer.
Run printer troubleshooter
If you are having this problem on windows 10 computer we recommend run the printer troubleshooter that automatically diagnose the problems, check permissions driver related problems and try to fix them itself.
- Search for troubleshoot settings and select the first result,
- Locate and select printer option then click run the troubleshooter,
- this will start to diagnose the problems prevent the printer to function normally and try to fix them,
- Once the process completes restart your PC and checks if there is no more error Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709) while setting a default printer in Microsoft Windows 10.
Note: Also you can search for msdt.exe /id PrinterDiagnostic and select the first result to run the printer troubleshooter as well.
Reinstall printer driver
Still need help, it could be a printer driver problem, it’s outdated or corrupted. Let’s reinstall the printer driver that probably helps fix the problem.
- Press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc and click ok
- this will open the device manager and display all the installed device driver lists.
- Now expend print queues, right-click on the problematic printer from the list select uninstall,
- Click yes to confirm and follow on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- Now open Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
- check here if your printer driver is listed there, if yes right click on it select uninstall.
- finally, restart your PC to completely remove the printer driver from your PC,
Now visit the printer manufacturer website, search for the printer model number and download the latest printer driver for your PC. Install the printer driver and check if this time there is no error while printing or change the default printer on windows 10.
Repair Corrupted System Files
Also Sometimes, corrupted system files cause this issue (This is actually rare). If the Above above solutions fail to fix, You can Run System file Checker Tool To repair corrupted system files Using sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth commands. I hope It will fix unable to change the default printer error 0x00000709.
- VPN blocks Internet on windows 10? Here 7 solutions to apply
- Microsoft Edge disappeared after windows 10 update? Here how to Get it back
- Fix iPhone Not Showing Up in iTunes For Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- Did Windows 10 Computer Restarts Unexpectedly? Apply these solutions
- How To Fix Device Driver Problems On Windows 10