Windows 10 has been one of the robust and dynamic updates made by Microsoft in their operating system. This software has numerous interesting features, but one of the most popular features is the Microsoft App Store where users can download a variety of paid and unpaid apps. This feature is great, but sometimes due to some internal errors, Windows 10 apps won’t open up on your computer. If you are going through a similar kind of problem where your favorite apps won’t open up, or Windows 10 apps open and close immediately then any need to panic as it is a very common problem and there are plenty of different solutions available to fix it –
- 1 Windows 10 apps not working
- 2 Reset the problematic app
Windows 10 apps not working
There can be several reasons for this problem, but the most common are corrupted app store cache, Again corrupted system files, incorrect date and time, or buggy updates also cause Windows 10 apps not to work after Update. Whatever the reason here applicable solutions you may apply to fix Windows 10 apps problem.
Before go ahead we recommend to:
- Check and make sure your system date and Time settings are correct,
- Temporarily disable antivirus and disconnect from VPN (if configured)
- Press Windows + R, type wsreset.exe, and click ok, This will clear the cache of the Windows 10 Store and help resolve issues with installing or updating apps and apps open and close immediately issue as well.
Ensure that the Windows 10 operating system is updated
This is the first and most important solution you must apply before performing other solutions. Microsoft regularly releases Windows 10 updates with various bug fixes and security improvements And installing the latest Windows update has the bug fix for that causing Windows 10 app, not opening.
- Press the Windows + I keyboard shortcut to open the settings app,
- Click on Update & Security than Windows Update,
- Hit the Check for updates button to allow Windows update download from the Microsoft server,
- Once it is completed, restart Windows to apply the changes,
- Now check with open any app if working normally.
Check that your apps are updated
If you don’t have the latest version of the apps installed on your system, then this may also raise the issue of the app not opening. To check whether all of your apps are up to date and fix this error you have to follow this line command.
- Search for Microsoft Store and select the first result
- Once Microsoft Store is open, select Library then Get Updates.
Ensure that your Windows Update Service is running
Some users have reported that Windows 10 app won’t work if their Windows Update Service isn’t working. So, you should check the status of your Windows Update Service, and do that you have to follow these steps –
- Just press the Windows key + R key together on your keyboard to open the Run dialogue box. then enter services.msc and hit OK.
- This will open the Windows service console
- Scroll down and Locate Windows Update from the services list
- Ensure that its (Windows update service) Startup Type is either Manual or Automatic. If they aren’t set then you can double-click on properties and select the Manual or Automatic from the list.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
Windows 10 has a building troubleshooter that scans your system and detects any problems that might be preventing Microsoft Store apps from working correctly. Also if possible, it automatically fixes these without you doing a thing. Let’s run the troubleshooter following the steps below that may help to fix the problem for you.
- Press the Windows key + I keyboard shortcut to open Settings.
- Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Find Windows Store Apps on the list, click it, and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Restart Windows once the troubleshooting process completes
- Now check if this helps to fix Windows 10 apps that won’t open issues.
Change ownership of C drive
There are some cases where Windows 10 don’t open because of ownership issues, but that can be fixed easily. To change the ownership of a folder or hard drive partition, you have to use the following steps –
- Open your PC and navigate to the drive where Windows 10 is installed, mostly it is C drive.
- You have to right-click on C drive and from the submenu press Properties.
- Go to Security and then on Advanced.
- Here, you will find the Owner section and press on Change.
- Next, press in the User window and click on the Advanced option once again.
- Now, by clicking on the Find Now button, you will see the list of users and groups. There you should click on the Administrators group and click OK.
- In the Advanced Security Settings, your ownership should have changed by now to Administrators, and the Administrators group should be added to the Permission entries list. You can check the replaced ownership on sub containers and objects. Just press on Ok to apply all the changes.
Reset the problematic app
Again if any specific app causing the problem, such as Microsoft Store won’t open or Microsoft Store closes immediately after opening that cause reset Microsoft Store to its default setup probably helps fix the problem. You can reset any specific app on Windows 10 by following the steps below.
- Press the keyboard shortcut Windows key + I to open Settings
- Click on Apps followed by Apps and Features,
- Scroll the list and click Microsoft Store.
- Then click Advanced options > Reset.
- It will show a warning that the app’s data will be deleted, so click Reset again.
- Now restart windows and open the windows app that causing the problem to hope this helps.
Disable Proxy Connection
May your proxy settings might prevent the Microsoft store from opening. Try disable your internet proxy settings following the steps below and check if this helps.
- Search for and open “Internet Options”.
- Select the “Internet Options” which opens up the “Internet Properties” window.
- Under the “Connections” tab click on “LAN Settings.”
- Uncheck the “Use Proxy server” option and click on “OK”.
Change FilterAdministratorToken in Registry Editor
It has been reported by Windows 10 users that the app might work due to the problem in the Start Menu which they have recorded while using an Administrator account. If you are a victim of this problem, then you can solve it as –
- Get run dialogue box by using Windows + R key and type Regedit in the box.
- When Registry Editor opens, navigate to the following key in the left pane: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesSystem
- On the right side, you will find a 32-bit DWORD called FilterAdministratorToken. If FilterAdministratorToken is available, go to the next step. Next, you can change the name of the new value.
- You have to double-tap DWORD and in the Value data section enter 1 and save the changes.
- After closing Registry Editor restart the computer.
Apps are indeed an important part of your computer system and you can’t survive a day without your favorite apps. So, if you don’t want to get in trouble with your utility apps, then you must follow simple methods to fix problems related to not app opening on your Windows 10.
- How to fix network resources not available on Windows 10
- How to Save Windows Spotlight Lock Screen Images in Windows 10
- Solved: Feature update to Windows 10 – error 0x80070020
- Windows 10 installing the same update over and over? Here is how to fix it
- Stop Windows 10 Update from Installing Updates Automatically